X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length Vs Thickness

I am keen to add a MB to my quiver now after hearing so much positive talk about it...can't afford it but hey i'll do my bit for the world economy and spend a bit, but wondering if its better to go a longer rail line and thinner board or go a shorter rail line and a fatter board. Its use will be when the waves are over 4ft i am missing a HP board at the moment in my quiver been riding Hybrids to much. I want a performance board at the 29-31 litre range. So fat and short or tall and thin? i remeber reading a post by Chris a while ago and you mentioned a longer rail line is actually better for performance with this board???????? also whens the MB going on to the comapre boards? thanks

Length Vs Thickness.

So fat and short or tall and thin?

Womens opinions vary on this matter. (Opps sorry wrong forum.)

Comment

I'd match it to your body type. Keep it closer to your height if you can.

Comment

Thanks my 6'0 sub is perfect size float but not sure if I could go smaller as in 6'2 MB thick the volume is right but it's the finer nose and stability that worrie's me. I want a board for thr better waves the days of days. So torn between Chris anyone tune in especially someone ridden both boards. Surf mostly beachies. Thanks

Comment

Hey seabass Ive ridden both 6'2 sub and 6'2 thick bourez, I mistakenly bought the sub too big (Im 86kg) 6'0 would have been ample volume,
          but what I would say is these two boards are simply in different classes ie the sub can rip and you can certainly bust the fins out and do big moves
          but you can also surf it "casually" if that that makes sense. On the other hand the bourez is a "full tilt"(ref:corepersonaltraining) high performance
          shortboard that almost demands that you surf it top to bottom on the wave and put it on rail because that is what it is designed for and if that is what
          youre after you will love this board. I only got a couple of surfs on a demo bourez and loved it, have ordered one pick up friday and should be waves yeeee
          eew!!
          Hope this helps

Comment

silentp,

thanks what size MB and thickness MB did you go??? keep me posted how was the staility differance take much to adjust or was it a smooth transition. I know what you saying about the sub its good alrounder mines starting to get knocked around(don't bag it and its been dropped a few times kids jumped on it) so its time to replace it and thought i would step up to a MB as need a HP for quiver and replace sub with minnie driver or V-2Rocket at xmas. Anyone else want to give some advice???????

Comment

I dont sweat it. Just stick to the Hibreds now. not looking at anything beyond my abilities any more. too hard to adjust to a different HP board.

Comment

seabass
                have ordered the 6'2 thick bourez, I havent ridden the sub for about a month its in the shop for sale or will trade when bourez arrives.
                Ive been riding my 6'1 elfuego before riding the demo bourez and as far as transition goes these two boards are worlds apart, definetely
                took a few waves to dial it in but especially the second surf I had on it in much better conditions it almost blew me away as you planted
                your back foot through turns and it was just so solid and quick.....one thing I have found since riding firewires is Im not worried about hopping
                from one board to another like I used to, you just seem to pick up from where you left last time.

Comment

thanks silentp
                  I know what you mean about one FW to another the transition is fairly easy after on or two waves. I am only slightly less weight then you so i'll go a 6'2 thick as well ....maybe I need to have a look at them to make a decision......not suer

how tall are you and what level would you put yourself at.

cheers

Comment

Hi seabass,
                    I have the 6'0" thick MB and it is doing the job beautifully. It rides from 2 foot up to 5 foot so far.
                    I have not seen a thin 6'2" but I have picked up the thick version and I think it would be way too powerful a board for me.
                    Hope you find the right one for you.

Comment

late to this thread..sorry.......i'm 90 (and a bit again) kgs and 6ft...the thick 602 mb was too much for me to throw around nimbly...now on the thin 602 that is sorted...had a shocker run trying to get good enough waves for it so still nailing it down...coming off a longish run on a 510 hellfire its taking some work to dial in...(even though i rode these rockery boards exclusively in the past)....(reports still on way)...but broadly speaking you should ride this 2" shorter than you would ride a "normal" shorty...(that's if you were on the right shorty)...technically i should be on a thick 600 mb as i ride a 602 x 18 3/4 flexfire... regarding your query on stability/nose etc...this is actually (as shorty's go), a full stable outline with a longish wetted rail...it has been designed that way with michel's power in mind..it is not twitchy...(i actually like em twitchy and almost outta control...)...if you are going to ride this board "long" then you need to be an aggressive surfer..but ridden a little shorter it would be a beauty for those who like some rocker...for example, if you ride an alternator and feel the rocker's a bit flat for your chosen waves, then this would fit perfectly in there.....if your base is on hybrids and you dont like full rockers or want to go your normal shorty length, then a hellrazor or even a flexy or similar may be an easier fit at "normal" shortboard length...go and molest a few in the shop if you can...
                      Last edited by core personal training; 06-27-2012, 02:31 AM. Reason: kant spel good

Comment

Thanks Sarge all advice helps its like a boiling pot keep adding The meat and you get sauce. Anyone else come on Chris or Nev tune in Is it better to have more length less meat or more meat less length. Cheers

Comment

Thanks core mate makes sense I think you sold me on the twitchy thing I like control and I want that standard board. Guessing shorter and fatter. You believe it can handle double over head with a possible barrel.

Comment

you bet mate...i've had the 510 hf in that and gnarlier...(thats just me being an eediot though)....the mb can do it no sweat...had mine out on one biiiig day but my back was out of shape so i was way off balance and weak legged and shouldnt of even been out there...got a couple of beautiful bottom turns in...but my body was not up for the inverted twists off the top....( the mb gets up there in a nano-second..!!)....Nevs take is shorter thicker...i went against that only to experiment and try and replace my 6'2 flexy. (now 2 x 3'1" flexy's)...but this has that fuller straighter outline and therefore surfs "longer"...hence the short and thick theory........in a nutshell, for most surfers, ride this as a shorter shortboard and ride the flexfires etc as a normal length shortboard...

Comment

Thanks core "short and fat" any one else want to argue the core.

Comment

Working...
                              X