X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boards

I feel like I have been asking the wrong questions... I want a smal wave performance board and a solid perf board . I'm 170-170 before a thick suit and have been riding a 510 Dom for small days and a 6.2 2/38 alt for better days. Time to update. Do u think the sub scorch in 510 could replace the Dom for small wave performance? Or is 29l too little volume for small conditions? Also do u think the extra thickness of the 600 bourez thick model will be to much for me to handle? Mind u I'm not surfing very powerful waves most of the time and I'm heavy footed and love to dig a good rail. So I'm wanting the bourez to be my daily driver of anything over 4 feet so I think the added thickness will be more diverse because I'm not in those punchy aus breaks.. If my Dom was 2'1/2 and the bourez is 2'9/16 does that mean that it will be hardes to dig a rail than my Dom?Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

JNeave

Not sure on the type of waves you will be surfing in so you may want to give a little input on that.

As a suggestion you could look at the Baked Potato or the Potatonator, you could easily surf the 5'8 Potatonator. I have surfed a 5'4 Sweet Potato for a few months and also a 5'6 Potatonator and i do prefer the Potatonator and for me can handle 1-3ft/3-5ft waves extremely well and seems to paddle better and into waves easier.........others who have the Baked Potato can probably give you a bit more info on that board. I am not sure about the Sub-Scorcher as i have not surfed one but i have had a 508 Dominator for 12 months and didn't really find that was a good small wave board and it seemed to perform its best around shoulder high.

The 6'0 Bourez Thicker version still has a performance rail even though some of the volume is carried out to the rail, it has a continuouse rocker with a bit of tail kick so it will turn nice and sharp in the pocket. I'm 68Kgs and i have a 602 Bourez thinner version and I can turn that board nicely.

Comment

yeah i guess i could always just keep buying and selling boards until i find something that fits me... i just sold my 510 dom as i felt it was a bit too much board and would have preferred the 508. the 508 actually looks like a decent small wave board however the 510 sub looks like it would carry more performance. i am riding an average beach break that can carry some sick swell come fall however the extra thickness in the 600 bourez thick makes me feel comforatble that it will be a decent groveller when the conditions are heavy however a bit choppy. my only two answers i need are if anyone thinks i could pull the 510 sub off as a small wave board even though it has only 29 l. i hasically want this as my summer board for around 3-6 feet tofino beach break where the conditions are softer and the 600 bourez for when the conditions are carrying a bit more power. i figure that if michel rides the thick 510 in heavy waves at 169 lbs then i could pull off the 600 thick at 170 with a 5-4 mil full suit in less powerful beach break. any thoughts?

Comment

i feel like my conditions are similar to the sound of uk conditions. and prj was saying that i would be able to pull off the 510 no prob. however if thats the truth then maybe the 600 thick iss too much? and i should consider down sizing? or should your small wave performance board have a touch less volume because the drop in is not so powerful therefore you can get away with dropping in real late and it doesnt matter?
        or should there be more vol in the small wave board because the wave has less power?

Comment

I'm your weight and ride the 508 Sub if that helps. And a CBD Taj that is very close to the 600 thinner MB. I Think the 510 Sub and 600 thick MB should be plenty, but it depends what you're comfortable with.

Comment

I ride the same waves as you and just got a Dom 5'6 tried it monday in ankle high and still was surfing good,when bigger but soft i use the hellfire .I use the MB 2 weeks ago at cox when all the pros were out there and work sooo good. I think for our waves the dom is pretty cool to have.I had the same problem than you for the MB thick or thin it took me a long time to finally decide the thin and i dont regret it if you are a good paddler the thin if you are powerful surfer you can get away with the thick .

Comment

Hmm I am a great paddler however I'm used to a 33.5 liter board and a 29.7 l board. Bergi what do u weigh ond what's your skill? Maybe that will help..

Comment

hmm my only worry is that i have an onld school alternator 62 by 238 and it felt like it didnt do so good on small summery waves last week so i was wondering if that has to do with shape , vol distribution or what? because that board has 29.7 liters and the 510 sub only has 29? how does volume effect performance, is it the more volume the better in small surf or is it more so to do with shape? what does volume actually do? so comparing the michel 6 00 thick to thin what are the pros and cons of going thin and what are the pros and cons of going thin for someone like me?( 6 foot tall 170 ounds before suit beach break)

Comment

Volume is only part of the equation. The bottom shape, rocker and volume distribution plays a big part too. The Sub has a flatter entry rocker than the Alternator, and more volume under chest in the shorter length so most of the volume is right where you want it for paddling and for gliding over fat section. I rode the Sub in less volume than I'm used to but it worked well for me in small punchy waves or bigger mushy waves and even in solid sized, clean groundswell.

Typically for grovelling you want more volume than you do in good waves as the board sitting higher on the water will glide through flatter sections and move around more freely when you're going slower. The design aspects of small wave boards aids with this too.
                  Being over volumed in powerful waves will limit your ability to really put the board hard on rail in a steep section at speed. The board will sit too high in the water and won't grip. The advantage with the MB is it's a board designed for those conditions so the tail and rails are still full high performance and it's just going to be carrying more volume. The thicker version could be a really fun board for you, but at the same time I think in good waves I'd put you on the thinner version if you're a strong paddler and a competent surfer.

My advice would be keep the Dom for the worst days, have the 510 Sub for when there's either some punch or size but not perfect waves, and then a 600 MB for when conditions are good.
                  My current plan is 502 Sweet Potato for small clean stuff or up to shoulder high junk, 510 Mini Driver for Chest high+ clean or head-high junky stuff, and a 600 Taj CBD for any thing shoulder high+ and punchy and down the line.

Comment

the second thin was supposed to be thick*

Comment

nice thats great help prj....so the 510 sub will work great maybe complimented with a 5'8 potatonator for the super small crap... for my hpsb im thinking i will go thick because it is in the shop and im eager to try it and if it doesnt work ill sell it and grab the thin? who knows im rattled that we dont have firewire demos in bc:(

Comment

If you've felt the thick version and it feels right then that's the ticket. That says a lot more than any advice in my opinion.

I think Potatonator, Sub, MB would be a good quiver!

Comment

yeah i agree that would cover me in all conditions. i might pick up the 510 sub and use that to determine if i need the thin or thick because im expecting the waves i use the spartan to be in to be a bit more powerful

Comment

Originally posted by jneave View Post
                            Hmm I am a great paddler however I'm used to a 33.5 liter board and a 29.7 l board. Bergi what do u weigh ond what's your skill? Maybe that will help..
                            I'm average intermediate 5'7 150-155(before suit), i usually increase by around 5% the volume form hi perf to hi perf hybrid to hybrid and that equation work good for me. The thick will probably be better but just dont take the thin out of your mind yet.Some people on the forum got the thick then switch to thin after a few try.The extra foam of the thick one is mostly under chest/front foot so more for paddling so if you are a strong paddler you might get away with the thin. Just got with what feel right for you.I got people telling me both way and i went thin and i love it and i dont think thick would have been bad either.

Comment

Okay I just ordered a 510 sub and will wait a bit to get the bourez. Lastly I'll go for a potatonator 508 to replace my fish. Sick... What futures should I grab? What are people ripping in different conditions?

Comment

Working...
                              X