Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I got the 6-4, paddles great and goes great in the 2 surfs ive had on it!! First was 2 foot low tide onshore gold coast went good so much paddle in than what I'm used too!! Second surf was clean 3 foot plus high tide!! Stoked with this board!! Running kinetic x4 quads atm!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarge View Post
      Totally would pick the MD as a one board quiver (But luckily I don't have to). It covers 3-7 foot really well, and 2-3 foot adequately. I reckon it comes down to the wave you want that one board to get you. Do you want it to go better in 2 foot slop because that's what you ride 50% of the year, or do you want it to paddle into the one of the few good swells that you manage to score in a year, (be it four foot or eight) and get you into and out of that one wave that will keep you smiling for years?
      That there was the whole premise of the widespread use of the mini gun planshape in a single fin by surfers around the world in the 70's.
      Back then the majority of surfers had a one board quiver.

Comment

• Hey Big Leigh,
        Wadcha ride when it was pumping last week?
        If you're mini driver was the only one in Beachbeat at Alex I reckon I saw it.
        Gary was looking at it and commented how it looked like a std hpsb.
        Of course we were also looking at the sole vanguard at the time as well so compared to the vanguard....

Comment

• big leigh how does it compare to the potatonator?

suncoast

Comment

• I was just watching CJ Hobgood getting interviewed after his heat at the Quicky Pro and they asked about the board he was riding. I didn't catch the model but it was a Channel Islands rounded pin very much the same tail as the MD, riding it as a quad.
            He said something very interesting to me - He said that he rode that board because it projects down the line very well but when he tries to cut back and go back to the wash it gets a bit funny - you wouldn't have known it watching him!
            This is the one sticking point for me on this board that I hope to work out soon.

Comment

• Its a great board, i got it from the volcom board lab at the tweed when i was down there for a few days, was going to get a merrick , the new flyer model from beach beat, seen this one when i was down there and the waves were up !! Paddles heaps better than the potatonator, rides good im surprised how good it goes when its under shoulder high, when its bigger i have all the confidence in the world in it paddles so nice gets in early and turns good, I think it will really help my surfing just riding one board, plus its a millon times better than the 6-4 alternator i had!! ridding it as a thruster now and its still fast!! great board!!

Comment

• Originally posted by big leigh View Post
                Its a great board, i got it from the volcom board lab at the tweed when i was down there for a few days, was going to get a merrick , the new flyer model from beach beat, seen this one when i was down there and the waves were up !! Paddles heaps better than the potatonator, rides good im surprised how good it goes when its under shoulder high, when its bigger i have all the confidence in the world in it paddles so nice gets in early and turns good, I think it will really help my surfing just riding one board, plus its a millon times better than the 6-4 alternator i had!! ridding it as a thruster now and its still fast!! great board!!
                Here's that question again - what thruster fins are you using at the moment big leigh?
                thanks

Comment

• OK so I finally got some nice 3-4ft walls last Saturday – in fact Megsy and I surfed for 4 hours and after going in and changing fins around 3 times over that period I think I have finally got my head around the MD and liked it with the AM2 Quads. Although I was able to do some amazing turns (by my lame standards) there were just as many not so good moments as well. I have put this down to too much foam / thickness in front of my leading foot and have come to the conclusion you need to ride this board maybe 1-2 inches shorter than your normal HPSB – I’m pretty sure Chris and others have already said this as well.

Keeping in mind that I actually find the 6’2” MD a lot easier to catch waves on than my 6’4” Futura which had 1.5 litres more volume, I’m still a little worried about dropping another 3.4litres in volume to the 6’0” MD.

I’m sure once I’m on the wave I won’t get the “pushing water out in front” feeling anymore but will catching waves be that much harder?

I’ll guess I’ll just have to demo one to know for sure!

Comment

• Hi guys! Just checked out the mini driver and fell in love! Wow! But I have a few questions about it, if you could possibly reply to help me make up my mind.

Well I have never ridden a firewire, never tried one and I have always surfed fiber boards. Right now I am surfing a lost rocket 5'8 x 19'25 x 2'25. And I have a dylan 6'1 x 18'5 x 2'5. Both of them are good on me but sometimes I feel I need something that rides a little more smooth... Cant exactly describe the feeling but I do feel I surf better on the rocket than on the dylan. But I think I need something that steps up my surfing...

I am 176 cm and my weight is 76kg... I am pretty fit and my skills are intermediate.

Do you recommend me the minidriver? I was thinking of the 5'10 x 19'5 x 2'3... Or should I go for the 6'0?

Please! Help me out!

Thanks

Comment

• Hey Chuchi, I would say the 510 should be the biggest that you go in the Mini-Driver range. Its possible too that your other boards don't feel that smooth because they are a little too big for your weight. if you are relatively, young, fit and are improving at surfing, then I do think the 510 would be perfect. It will give you more control off the bottom and will help even out maneuvers when surfing at higher speeds.

Cheers and hope this helps get you started.

Comment

• Thanks Chris!! Too big? mmm maybe, but I do think I surf better when I have under my feet a wide and fat surfboard than a long thin one... Lets see if I can get it by the end of the month and Ill let you know how it works out for me!!

Thank you!

Comment

• My Mini Driver is going tomorrow. The Vanguard has stolen it's spot. I'll miss it, especially when I'm overseas...

Comment

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                            My Mini Driver is going tomorrow. The Vanguard has stolen it's spot. I'll miss it, especially when I'm overseas...
                            No way mate the mini getting the axe. That vanguard must really be something. I am loving my mini it's a Thurso east killer. Did you ever get a contact for the soar fins for the uk. I am we'll keen to get a set.

Comment

• its taken since Christmas but lately I can't live without the MD.
                              It's kinda been like a good looking girlfriend - you have heaps of little fights but you can't bring yourself to dump her cause she looks so damn good!

Comment

• I keep looking at mine and holding it. Would love to keep it but can't surf everything.
                                Pmorgan, I ordered a set straight from Aus recently. They marked them as low value and a gift etc and I paid no customs fees. Plus they arrived in a week. I may order another set of ceramic DLs if you want in?

Comment

Working...
                                X