Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dumped mine twice...sold it and then they guy who bought it wanted to swap it for my Potatonator so...swapped it, got a 5'5 TG (old school) BP and then sold it to a happy Canadian fellow..I think it was a mistake for either MB or FW (or both to change from the original foil). The board kind of got lost in the changes in my view.

Comment

• I dunno, I wouldn't have been interested if it was any wider. I really liked the shape. Versatile, user friendly and dependable but because of all that it lacked the excitement factor. The Vanguard covers the same wave range for me, though I probably wouldn't trust it so much in the big stuff, but the VG has that X factor.

Comment

• Seabass, i have a 6'4 sub and love it, i ride it in waves 4-6ft, but was looking to get a minidriver for waves 6-8 ft, what do you think, the volumes a little less in the 6'4 mini compared to my sub kinda worried about the paddling but want a board that will hold better whne surf is standing up. how the turns feel comparing the 2 boards. would you recomend it for what i want it for? right now i use a 6'8 alternator for bigger waves but i like the short stubiness of the sub cuz its easier to control so im hoping the mini will do that for me, mahalo, i surf waves mostly in the 4-8ft range in hawaii, g

Comment

• Originally posted by gkekoa View Post
          Seabass, i have a 6'4 sub and love it, i ride it in waves 4-6ft, but was looking to get a minidriver for waves 6-8 ft, what do you think, the volumes a little less in the 6'4 mini compared to my sub kinda worried about the paddling but want a board that will hold better whne surf is standing up. how the turns feel comparing the 2 boards. would you recomend it for what i want it for? right now i use a 6'8 alternator for bigger waves but i like the short stubiness of the sub cuz its easier to control so im hoping the mini will do that for me, mahalo, i surf waves mostly in the 4-8ft range in hawaii, g
          gkekoa sorry to jump in but this may help

I'm around 89-90kg now and find the MD amazing in larger waves although I've only ridden it in 6-8ft bech break waves not reef.
          It catches waves a lot better than the 6'4" Futura did and the Futura had 2 more litres of volume.
          I can push that tail so hard off the bottom and it doesn't let me down - which sets me up for a great feeling turn off the top - some of which at 44 yrs of age I have never experienced before.
          but here's the clincher - I know you like your boards longer but I think you can go down to a 6'2" in this shape
          at 90kg the 6'2" is a little too much board for me - if FW made it in a 6'1" I'd reckon that would be right on the money.

Hopefully you can get your hands on a couple of demos!

Comment

• Much mahalos for the info., no demos here, ill just have to take a shot at it, alohagkekoa

Comment

• I'm with goanna, I'm 98kg and I ride a 6-4 md the board gets better and better with every surf!!But even at my weight the 6-4 Does feel big at times... if I get down to 95 I will probably get a6-2!! But at the moment it's my all rounder, and it's a fast board in all conditions!! It's improving my surfing riding one board in all conditions too!! When it gets 4 foot plus it's so reliable on late take offs and steep drops!! Anyway I'm off to bingin on the 16-5!! Stay there for 2 nights then off to g-land for 9 nights.... Might really find out how good this board is!! Yeew

Comment

• Looking forward to that report Big Leigh.
                My wife is living it up in Bali without the kids at the moment - so that means I'll have a boat trip up my sleeve later and your report will no doubt be appreciated!

Comment

• gkekoa

My advice around the MD is go as small as you think you can, then drop another size. I dropped from a 6'2 to a 6'0 and i think i could go a 5'10. I find the 6'0 find it a lot better to surf. MD paddles super easy and picks up waves well. Its a good step from the sub and i find the transition not a problem at all and the boards cover a good range together i find i still surf my sub a lot more and only bring out the MD when its punchy or above 4ft so in my backyard it gets not much use. Hope that helps.

Comment

• How much do you weigh seabass?
                    I'm thinking of trying the 6'0" MD but at 90kg I think its a stretch considering there is around 3 litres difference to the 6'2"
                    I think it will be too much of a drop

Comment

• I am 81-83kgs depending on beer intake. 6'0 is a good size as i am intermediate to advanced catagory. I could go a 5'10 I think but I feel it would be to short and not enough nose for my build and ability but saying that i would love to give one a go. i found coming come a size made no differance in catching waves I actually find it easy on the 6'0 and once your up the performance level increases 3 times i am getting the board back under me a lot faster and easier and feel i can whip it off the top easily. Been running those Futures tom macoy, josh macoy????? its a black and blue set 5 fin set i thinks they original for kite surfing???? anyway they work really well and its great being able to change fro thruster to quad with same set. First quad fins i have found that make the board really perform and speed out from a cut back istead of stalling. I am finding through smaller size does mean i need a bit more of a punchy wave and the 6'2 was a lot more of an all rounder I think if your Intermediate surfer and want an all rounder go an MD its perfect one board quiver.

Comment

• seabass, they are Josh Mulcoy 5-fin. I have the same set. They are fun for the steep faces and hollow waves :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

• Originally posted by seabass View Post
                          I am 81-83kgs depending on beer intake. 6'0 is a good size as i am intermediate to advanced catagory. I could go a 5'10 I think but I feel it would be to short and not enough nose for my build and ability but saying that i would love to give one a go. i found coming come a size made no differance in catching waves I actually find it easy on the 6'0 and once your up the performance level increases 3 times i am getting the board back under me a lot faster and easier and feel i can whip it off the top easily. Been running those Futures tom macoy, josh macoy????? its a black and blue set 5 fin set i thinks they original for kite surfing???? anyway they work really well and its great being able to change fro thruster to quad with same set. First quad fins i have found that make the board really perform and speed out from a cut back istead of stalling. I am finding through smaller size does mean i need a bit more of a punchy wave and the 6'2 was a lot more of an all rounder I think if your Intermediate surfer and want an all rounder go an MD its perfect one board quiver.
                          Thanks for the info seabass,
                          I’m happy to stick with the 6’2” at the moment especially coming into winter with my extra weight + full length wetsuit but I’ll still try the 6’0” MD as well for curiosity sake.
                          I’m thinking it may be OK because I was surprised how my 6’2” paddles better than the 6’4” Futura that had 1.5 litres more volume.

Comment

Working...
                          X