Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just noticed how many 'though's were in my post. Doh

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Confident that it'll pick up where my potato finishes.
      Do you think this is the case after you have ridden it

Comment

Yeah I reckon so. Haven't ridden it much though and not really in anything small!

Comment

it does grovel well, but its not a groveller. for surfers used to riding shortboards, it will definitely ride really well on smaller days, whereas those coming from more volume would look at the Mini Driver as a better wave board. You have to pick you fight ease of use or performance, then compare the board of interest to what you are used to riding.

What works for PRJ in small surf is going to be different than what works for others.

Just another way to think about things!!

Cheers!

Comment

Yeah I'm certainly someone who prefers to be on a lower volume shortboard than a chunky groveller. The waves here tend to have steepness and some push most of the time so super wide boards feel a bit awkward to me 75% of the time. On the right days I love the Spitfire and Potato though.

Comment

Hi, I'm 5'8 72kgs but in uk. Looking for a mini driver for the winter. So suited up, possibly 74kgs. Well travelled and good intermediate standard. But, I don't like standard shortboards and nearly always surf a RNF. Is this hybrid more fishy or high performance. I'm about to click the purchase button on a 5'8 but got other advice to go 5'10. I mainly surf beaches from 1ft to occasionally double overhead. I want, short, floaty but performance and easy transition off the fish. All help appreciated

Comment

I'm a touch heavier and on the 510, also in UK. I wouldn't go any smaller but I'm 77kg.

Comment

Yeah Ade, i am not sure there is a really good answer that will make it 100% one way or the other. I think in the end, you have to decide whether you want the paddle power or the reduced size/volume. Based on your description, however, i would push you towards the 510...

Comment

Thanks for both comments. It's really bugging me because I can only get one online so no under arm test or good visual. One last question for both of you or anyone else. Are they easy to ride, like hybrids. Or surf more like a performance shortboard. I just find short boards or pinneys slow when I swap. My fish is a 5'5 RNF so quite performancy, definately not a fat twin. There's so many other firewires to look at if the mini driver is more narrow (pro) kind of board. But from what I'm hearing its fairly fore giving and bit front footed. I'd go 5'10 if it has better float for bigger days but just want to be sure I can put a quick turn in and race a section here and there.
                    Thanks, what do you think??

Comment

Prjwebb, how tall are you? And what do you ride it in? Do you use fishes as well or normally performance shorts.

Comment

Im 6'0". I use it as a bit of an alrounder really.
                        I used to ride fish, I use a sweet potato for junk now.

Comment

It's a fast board but its pretty foiled out especially through the tail. There's a thread somewhere with some photos of mine. Where do you live? If you're local you can check out mine.

Comment

Cool thanks, I wonder if its you that Roger from Boardshop was going to get some pictures from. There can't be many around

Comment

Oh yeh, North Devon

Comment

There's two as far as I know. Shane at FireWire Europe has the other, that's who they would have meant. I'm in west Cornwall. Any pics you want let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X