Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha actually I really like it. Haven't had huge oppurtunities for turns etc on it yet but I've paddled into some solid waves in Morocco on it and it flew through some long walled and sucky inside sections holding a line high on the wall no problems and damn it's fast.
    Ended up opted for the 604 a lot over there though as there's so much water pulling down the points when the swell is up. The MN performed better than my CBD though with was just too much effort to paddle in the strong currents.

You're not wrong about overlap though, but the MN is a very safe bet if you're ever unsure about which board to take. I think I naturally click with boards with more tail rocker but the MN is really fun. I reckon I'll only like it more as I get to surf it more.

Comment

Can we go back to robgnyc' post?? Lost Grockets? I thought V2 was up next?

Comment

I think the Grocket has been in the pipeline for a long time. Maybe a year or so. Could be a few models in the works?

Comment

I SMS'd a guy at 11am this morning (Christmas Eve)that has been talking about getting a shortboard for a while now. I said how about you treat yourself to a new (secondhand) short board for Christmas - we discussed price and he said he would take it as long as I told his wife he paid $200 for it.
          I drove straight out to Cronulla Surf Design and picked up a 6'2" MD - with Firewire branding which was nice - happy days and Merry Christmas to me!

Attachment
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Goanna; 12-23-2012, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
            I SMS'd a guy at 11am this morning (Christmas Eve)that has been talking about getting a shortboard for a while now. I said how about you treat yourself to a new (secondhand) short board for Christmas - we discussed price and he said he would take it as long as I told his wife he paid $200 for it.
            I drove straight out to Cronulla Surf Design and picked up a 6'2" MD - with Firewire branding which was nice - happy days and Merry Christmas to me!
            Merry Christmas...NE up now and S for tomorrow but don't let that stop ya!

Comment

I am confused....so you bought the MD or your mate did? What did you sell for $200??

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                I am confused....so you bought the MD or your mate did? What did you sell for $200??
                Sold the Futura for $500
                Told his wife he'd be paying $200 on his request or no deal - (I hope Santa wasn't watching)
                Bought the MD for myself

Comment

Sold the Futura for $500
                  Told his wife he'd be paying $200 on his request or no deal - (I hope Santa wasn't watching)
                  Bought the MD for myself
                  Ahhh a little wife deceiving conspiracy....what are mates for !!! All justified if it means a new board...

Comment

Merry Xmas to you! Nice present there goanna. I'm surprised you let the Futura go though - I know you loved it. I'm yet to let any of my Firewires go, they're all in pretty good nick, and I'm yet to find one I don't like. It might look like I have a big quiver but its basically two 2 board quivers with one set for portly me and the other for skinny dude me.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                      Merry Xmas to you! Nice present there goanna. I'm surprised you let the Futura go though - I know you loved it. I'm yet to let any of my Firewires go, they're all in pretty good nick, and I'm yet to find one I don't like. It might look like I have a big quiver but its basically two 2 board quivers with one set for portly me and the other for skinny dude me.
                      Yeah I hope I don't regret it!
                      to be honest I am back down to 85kg and usually lose around 3kg over the holidays from surfing so much so it was time to downsize to a 6'2" Jackknife (virtually a Futura) and as another option the 6'2" MD.
                      As much as I love the Futura it was bought when I was 95kg and as I get lighter it feels like a lot of board - it never ever let me down though.

Sam at the shop can get his hands on any board - anytime - he has been riding the MD in PU for 6 months or so now and tells me he may get the FST version soon due to durability issues.
                      The fact he has been riding and raving about it for that long is a fair sign - he claims it to be the best all rounder he has ever ridden.

on his recommendation I will demo the Dave Rastovich bamboo Futures quads & Futures Rusty Balackstix over the holidays.

It sounds crazy but if it doesn't work out - I can always head back to the Futura but at least I'll never die wondering as the MD has always caught my attention.
                      Last edited by Goanna; 12-25-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Yeah I hope I don't regret it!
                        to be honest I am back down to 85kg and usually lose around 3kg over the holidays from surfing so much so it was time to downsize to a 6'2" Jackknife (virtually a Futura) and as another option the 6'2" MD.
                        As much as I love the Futura it was bought when I was 95kg and as I get lighter it feels like a lot of board - it never ever let me down though.

Sam at the shop can get his hands on any board - anytime - he has been riding the MD in PU for 6 months or so now and tells me he may get the FST version soon due to durability issues.
                        The fact he has been riding and raving about it for that long is a fair sign - he claims it to be the best all rounder he has ever ridden.

on his recommendation I will demo the Dave Rastovich bamboo Futures quads & Futures Rusty Balackstix over the holidays.

It sounds crazy but if it doesn't work out - I can always head back to the Futura but at least I'll never die wondering as the MD has always caught my attention.
                        I use the Rasta's...cant beat them in that board.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                          I use the Rasta's...cant beat them in that board.
                          Hey FW fan how is the 6'2" MD going for you?
                          I finally got some decent waves this morning. I'm finding that when the wave goes fat the MD stops as well. It is obviously a better wave board. I have noticed that where I put my front foot there is still a lot of thickness in front of my foot which is why it feels like I am pushing a lot of water out the front unless the wave has a lot of power.
                          Don't get me wrong I don't think I've ever felt up a nicer short board but I think it may be for a higher skilled surfer than me.....I will keep trying though!

Comment

Hey FW fan how is the 6'2" MD going for you?
                            I finally got some decent waves this morning. I'm finding that when the wave goes fat the MD stops as well. It is obviously a better wave board. I have noticed that where I put my front foot there is still a lot of thickness in front of my foot which is why it feels like I am pushing a lot of water out the front unless the wave has a lot of power.
                            Don't get me wrong I don't think I've ever felt up a nicer short board but I think it may be for a higher skilled surfer than me.....I will keep trying though!
                            I really havent tried mine out in the type of waves I would want to....so I am a bit reluctant to say. I am riding it about 2 litres more than I wold normally like but the 6'0 was just a bit under what I would have normally ridden. I really bought mine for a sucky beachy that offers the occasional barrel and that hasnt turned on so far since I have had it...agree though that it is the kind of board that needs some juice ..also reckon it surfs longer than it looks. I have actually checked mine to make sure it is actually 6'2 because if feels much longer than my other 6'2's.

Comment

I haven't yet read someone saying they unequivocally love the MD, which is odd because it looks like such a beautiful, neutral all round shape. Interesting.

Comment

I think because its a really neutral and all round board it's just a solid reliable board and maybe doesn't have the zing that other shapes may have. I bet in headhigh tubes I'd feel pretty magic though. The beauty of if is if the waves are smaller than you expected, it'll still go well, and if it's bigger than you expected it won't have any problems either.

Comment

Working...
                                X