Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Lost Mini Driver Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    I am not saying I am not loving it...just havent had the chance to test it in the conditions I bought it for....pretty juiced about getting the right waves for it when they come.

    Comment


    • #92
      The MD is as good as it looks. The key is though to ride it smaller that your standard dims. This board has all the right measurements for a custom which is why I went bananas over it but alas I'd be better off on a 6'0" in this shape - would I be prepared to drop that much volume?....probably not at my age or skill level as I am a pathetic paddler!

      The guy who sold it to me is around 6'2" tall and 85kg and rips - he is on a 5'10

      This morning I surfed 4-5ft messy, sucky close outs- I was the only one out there getting long distance out of the wave. Once I locked it in the MD was like a missile along the walls and I can see why this is a perfect board in big sucky barrels.

      It is a very good shape and recommend it to anyone as long as they take my advice and go a little shorter so you are a bit more centred over the thickness up front.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Goanna View Post
        The MD is as good as it looks. The key is though to ride it smaller that your standard dims. This board has all the right measurements for a custom which is why I went bananas over it but alas I'd be better off on a 6'0" in this shape - would I be prepared to drop that much volume?....probably not at my age or skill level as I am a pathetic paddler!

        The guy who sold it to me is around 6'2" tall and 85kg and rips - he is on a 5'10

        This morning I surfed 4-5ft messy, sucky close outs- I was the only one out there getting long distance out of the wave. Once I locked it in the MD was like a missile along the walls and I can see why this is a perfect board in big sucky barrels.

        It is a very good shape and recommend it to anyone as long as they take my advice and go a little shorter so you are a bit more centred over the thickness up front.
        That is really useful info Goanna. Thanks.
        I'm currently looking at a new stick, and am almost ready to pull the trigger on the MB - but the MD could be a great tool for some of the barrels in the Ments!!
        The more I read this forum, the harder my decisions get. It has been said before, but one of everything would be great...
        Last edited by Jase; 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Goanna View Post
          The MD is as good as it looks. The key is though to ride it smaller that your standard dims. This board has all the right measurements for a custom which is why I went bananas over it but alas I'd be better off on a 6'0" in this shape - would I be prepared to drop that much volume?....probably not at my age or skill level as I am a pathetic paddler!

          The guy who sold it to me is around 6'2" tall and 85kg and rips - he is on a 5'10

          This morning I surfed 4-5ft messy, sucky close outs- I was the only one out there getting long distance out of the wave. Once I locked it in the MD was like a missile along the walls and I can see why this is a perfect board in big sucky barrels.

          It is a very good shape and recommend it to anyone as long as they take my advice and go a little shorter so you are a bit more centred over the thickness up front.
          4-5 foot..where are you? Not in Sydney then ?...if so PM with where this secret spot is, lol.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
            4-5 foot..where are you? Not in Sydney then ?...if so PM with where this secret spot is, lol.
            North of Coffs

            Comment


            • #96
              you sure you don't want to broadcast the secret spot for the entire forum?/

              Ha!

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Chris View Post
                you sure you don't want to broadcast the secret spot for the entire forum?/

                Ha!
                It's no secret spot Chris in fact it is full of mals and learner backpackers but they never walk over the backbeach that cops most the swell.
                Today it is 3-4ft with the first proper offshore winds all holidays! It is pumping but the wife is at golf so I will be playing in the shore break with the kids till around 2pm.
                Such is life as they say. :)

                Comment


                • #98
                  Ha, dang!

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Goanna View Post
                    It's no secret spot Chris in fact it is full of mals and learner backpackers but they never walk over the backbeach that cops most the swell.
                    Today it is 3-4ft with the first proper offshore winds all holidays! It is pumping but the wife is at golf so I will be playing in the shore break with the kids till around 2pm.
                    Such is life as they say. :)
                    I know where you are...great bakery there...get a steak and mushroom pie and a chocolate donut for me...lol.

                    Comment


                    • I don't know precisely where you are, but I can share with you Bondi was so small this morning I couldn't see any whitewater from a breaking wave until they actually hit the sand. Turned around immediately and went home for a jog. Then my daughter said I was "yucky sweaty" and wouldn't cuddle me. Smart girl. I hate jogging so I sure hope the waves pick up here soon.

                      Comment


                      • I am guessing the beach has a magic circle off of it......

                        Comment


                        • Still a few MD owners waiting for the right waves to file a report...
                          I'm really interested in how this thing goes in good waves. My Dom is great for up to head high and a bit, then this from 1.5 head onward sounds like it would go great.
                          I almost went the MB, but have changed my mind and am decided on a 602 Mini Driver now :)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jase View Post
                            Still a few MD owners waiting for the right waves to file a report...
                            I'm really interested in how this thing goes in good waves. My Dom is great for up to head high and a bit, then this from 1.5 head onward sounds like it would go great.
                            I almost went the MB, but have changed my mind and am decided on a 602 Mini Driver now :)
                            Jase I'm on my way home from a two week holiday riding the 6'2"MD in everything from 2ft slop to 4-5ft messy, 4-5ft clean long lefts and this morning 4-5ft clean long right sand covered reef point break. I feel this is a good enough test to know if a board is right for me.
                            I'll say straight up front....this board looks and feels amazing under the arm and it is-it just may not be the board for me. I have figured out after so many waves of various types that A. I will need a smaller fin so this is no issue and will be trying some different types in the next few weeks. B. although I'm at my surfing fittest at the moment I've never been a strong paddler and just cannot get into the wave quick enough. I virtually spent the whole two weeks going over the falls or getting caught behind!
                            The frustrating thing is that I know without a doubt my beloved Futura would have been all over these waves for sure as it has so many times before. Buzzy will be reminding me of this no doubt but the 6'2" MD ticked every box for me and I had no doubt it was my dream board.
                            I am putting the difference down to more nose and tail rocker compared to the 6'4" Futura - it doesn't look like a lot of difference but it has made a lot of difference for me.
                            I'm still keen to try some new fins but this won't solve my paddle problem unfortunately.
                            It's not all doom and gloom though-the few waves I did make were amazing and the board is built for speed!
                            I would say this board is for the younger or strong paddler in the 82-95kg range.

                            Comment


                            • I'm disappointed for you goanna. What a bummer. The Futura is a special order now so maybe a 2-3 month wait.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                                I'm disappointed for you goanna. What a bummer. The Futura is a special order now so maybe a 2-3 month wait.
                                Yeah it is a bummer but nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.
                                I will probably go down the Futura path again but may take the time to enjoy testing a few other demo boards as well.
                                Hopefully there will be a few still laying around somewhere so no special order will be required.

                                Anyway all I need to do now is sell the Mini Driver!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X