Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Lost Mini Driver Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I do really like the MD, compared to my normal shortboard the wider nose and relaxed rocker make it an easier paddler on open water which was a blessing in Morocco when it was VERY tiring on my shortboard, but it doesn't get picked up into waves as easy, maybe down to the rounded tail versus a squash tail? I dunno...
    It's a super fast board though, holds great on bigger waves and carries speed on small junky waves equally as well and I like having the quad option. There's not really anything I can fault it on, but for me, my CBD just feels better under my feet so that's what I'd rather be on when the waves are good.

    The MD is my safety net, I know when it's in the car I'm covered pretty much no matter what the waves are like.

    Comment


    • Has anyone on here tried the stock dimension MD? It got stretched for Firewire- I think the stock 6'0 MD is 20in wide & 32L. Just wondering because it seems like the paddle complaints are much more common on this forum than others where most are riding stock. Shouldn't be any paddle complaints when i get a Rocket V2!!! :)

      Comment


      • Matt said he kept the FW version a touch narrower so it would be a solid, durable travel board for decent waves at the expense of some of the small wave ease of use. That said, I probably wouldn't have bought one if they were in the ...Lost stock dims.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Goanna View Post
          Yeah it is a bummer but nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.
          I will probably go down the Futura path again but may take the time to enjoy testing a few other demo boards as well.
          Hopefully there will be a few still laying around somewhere so no special order will be required.

          Anyway all I need to do now is sell the Mini Driver!
          Yes I'm terribly disappointed too, I'll give you $200!

          Seriously though that is a shame, it looks the goods for a good allrounder. I'm surprised by its lack of paddle power, perhaps position yourself a little further back too far forward on some boards and you push the rocker into the water and plough along slowing yourself up. I seriously want to try this board and the 6'2 would be perfect but I've got my eye on the 6'5 Hellrazor next, and I still have to receive my Vanguard and start riding it too.

          Give the Jacknife a try, it strikes me as having evolved from the Futura and I find it an easy paddle, not as good as the dom/spit but not far behind at all. Where are you in Sydney Goanna?
          Last edited by Slowman; 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Slowman View Post
            Yes I'm terribly disappointed too, I'll give you $200!

            Seriously though that is a shame, it looks the goods for a good allrounder. I'm surprised by its lack of paddle power, perhaps position yourself a little further back too far forward on some boards and you push the rocker into the water and plough along slowing yourself up. I seriously want to try this board and the 6'2 would be perfect but I've got my eye on the 6'5 Hellrazor next, and I still have to receive my Vanguard and start riding it too.

            Give the Jacknife a try, it strikes me as having evolved from the Futura and I find it an easy paddle, not as good as the dom/spit but not far behind at all. Where are you in Sydney Goanna?
            Slowman I surf the same places as you - It would be good to meet up and swap boards for a surf as I am keen to try the 6'2" Jacknife as part of my journey back to reality!

            need some good swell though.

            Comment


            • Goanna, I had the exact same experience where I spent too much time getting hung up at the lip. I'm a strong fit paddler, surf most days out of the week, but my wave count went down dramatically. And for the waves that I did get into, it was often too late. On a positive note, it was one of the best feeling boards under my feet once I got into the wave. Considering that I really want to try a stock dim version.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by csarqui View Post
                Goanna, I had the exact same experience where I spent too much time getting hung up at the lip. I'm a strong fit paddler, surf most days out of the week, but my wave count went down dramatically. And for the waves that I did get into, it was often too late. On a positive note, it was one of the best feeling boards under my feet once I got into the wave. Considering that I really want to try a stock dim version.
                Mate you've hit the nail on the head. I'm sure this will only be an issue for some though.

                Comment


                • Goanna I agree with you sort of. I have surfed my MD in a mix of waves and have found in some waves for some reason struggled to get on the wave, then an hour passes the and then i am all over it. i have had mine out in 2ft north coast summer junk and caught waves easily out paddling Dominators and other grovellers. Then the next day its 3ft clean classey and a bit more push and its like i am dragging an anchor. Next surf 4-6ft more 4ft and again great board paddle on easy feels great underfoot heaps of fun. For me it has always performed over 3ft. I know all boards will for some reason not perform in certain surf but it seems more so with the MD. I think its a great board a good all rounder and performs when the surf comes on, its super fast and when you get used to it you can really get some power out of it it turns on a dime at high speed and doesn't stall at out coming out of a cutback, sits in the pocket and will drive out super easy. i can't say what surf it won't perform in sometimes it just won't, i just run back to the car get the sub. It is my new all rounder and if i am travelling somewhere and can only take one board this is it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by seabass View Post
                    Goanna I agree with you sort of. I have surfed my MD in a mix of waves and have found in some waves for some reason struggled to get on the wave, then an hour passes the and then i am all over it. i have had mine out in 2ft north coast summer junk and caught waves easily out paddling Dominators and other grovellers. Then the next day its 3ft clean classey and a bit more push and its like i am dragging an anchor. Next surf 4-6ft more 4ft and again great board paddle on easy feels great underfoot heaps of fun. For me it has always performed over 3ft. I know all boards will for some reason not perform in certain surf but it seems more so with the MD. I think its a great board a good all rounder and performs when the surf comes on, its super fast and when you get used to it you can really get some power out of it it turns on a dime at high speed and doesn't stall at out coming out of a cutback, sits in the pocket and will drive out super easy. i can't say what surf it won't perform in sometimes it just won't, i just run back to the car get the sub. It is my new all rounder and if i am travelling somewhere and can only take one board this is it.
                    I hope I haven't given the wrong impression - It's a superb piece but in my case it is the Archer not the Arrow!
                    You have convinced me to give it a few more goes though!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Goanna View Post
                      I hope I haven't given the wrong impression - It's a superb piece but in my case it is the Archer not the Arrow!
                      You have convinced me to give it a few more goes though!
                      Hey Seabass, out of interest what is your MD dimensions and if you don't mind - what are your Dimensions?
                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Goanna View Post
                        Slowman I surf the same places as you - It would be good to meet up and swap boards for a surf as I am keen to try the 6'2" Jacknife as part of my journey back to reality!

                        need some good swell though.
                        Goanna, yes I recall you mentioning dunnies, which made me suspect so. Maybe next couple days when it swings to the north again if we get something out of this S wind. I'll send a PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                          Goanna, yes I recall you mentioning dunnies, which made me suspect so. Maybe next couple days when it swings to the north again if we get something out of this S wind. I'll send a PM.
                          Sounds good.

                          Comment


                          • Hi: I ride a PU MD. 6'1'',20",2 1/2, FCS H3 Large tri fin.
                            I ride it same length as my hight. It's my all-rounder (in a 2 board quiver). I find this board super easy to ride and paddle. And it holds steep waves. I don't really surf bigger then head and a half. But at that size the board rides solid. And you can push turns from the tail.
                            Only thing is you need to get speed to make the board work. After that I feel like I surf better then I really do. I'm an average joe. But this board was a great improve in my surfing.
                            So it isn't a board for small and mush, but anything above it.
                            PU boards are nice, but very fragile.

                            Comment


                            • Goanna my MD is 6'2 I went for this size as i thought the 6'0 would be to small, I wish there was a 6'1 as that would have been perfect for me. I feel the 6'2 is over volume but i don't mind as i wanted the board as an alrounder. I am 85kgs about 6'2 and fit at 41years(how depressing is that) and above average surfer but that depends on the night before. Give it a few more goes first 5 surfs i thought finally found that board, then 3 -4 surfs it was i hate this thing, now after a few more i am back to i think I have found that board again. i surf a mix of beachies and points on far north coast. good luck.

                              Comment


                              • Hey Seabass...
                                I'm pretty close to your dimensions (6'2 but about 87 to 88kg). I'm also 41 and and at the high end of fit
                                I'm planning on getting the MD and use it for better waves like Indo barrels and Hawaii :)
                                I am pretty set on the 602 as I have other boards for the smaller junkier stuff. You reakon I'm on the money with the 602 MD?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X