X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size mini driver?

I am 5 10 and weigh between 155-160 lbs. and cannot figure out if i should get a 5 6 or 5 8 mini driver. I have been surfing most of my life and consider myself a well rounded surfer with a good mix of rail surfing and progressive tricks. I am leaning towards the 5 8 but just want to be sure it doesn't have to much volume, but would rather have a little extra than not enough. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

5'8. Minimum. I'm only a little heavier and just picked up a 5'10 and that's the lower end of the volume range for me, although I haven't had any waves to surf it yet.

Comment

Looking verrrrrrry closely. A 6'4" is looking tempting for a new year present. Just have to get a Japan powder trip past the misses and then maybe a MD. also need a CBD Alt @6'6". Not asking much!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback prjwebb, i bet you are frothin to ride that board. Let me know how it goes once you get it out for a surf. I think I am gonna pick up the 5 8 today....yeewww!

Comment

Hope for some waves, curious to get your feedback on it

Comment

Had a paddle today on her in well overhead, 25mph cross/onshore junk. Board feels quite small under me but still paddles well. Caught waves well, but it's by a long shot my lightest board and all the wind and chop was a pain. That said it was very fast down the line and felt very positive on rail but I didn't get any chance to do any turns or anything like that.
            Will report back when I've ridden it more.

Comment

How would you compare that board to???

Comment

Really couldn't say at this point. Felt more like a shortboard than a hybrid in good waves though.

Comment

How much do you weigh prjwebb? i picked up my 5 8 mini d today and am hoping to score some fun lil waves on it in the morning. Got the stretch quad setup for its maiden voyage....haha.....will let ya know how it goes!

Comment

So a bit distant from the dominator

Comment

Attachment Attachment My 5'8 Mini Driver is lookin FRESH!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mdayton360; 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Looking good. I very nearly put the same pad on mine.
                        I'm between 165 and 170lbs.

Yeah Iggy def a long way from the Dominator. It'll probably feel different in smaller cleaner stuff though.

Let me know how the quad set goes, I went with a thruster.

Comment

Surfed some fun waist to chest high punchy bowls at New Smyrna Inlet this morning and the MD went really well. Living up to its name it has tons of drive down the line and will really lay a good bottom into top turn when given the chance. Quad setup felt great, very fast and loose but held when it needed to. I set up for one fun barrel and you can tell that the board is made to ride in the tube! All in all, had a great first session on it and im gonna try it as a thruster next session to see the difference. This is a great all around board for any quiver, can't wait to get it into some juicy swell.....yeewww!

Comment

How does the volume of the 5'8 (25.3) compare to the usual boards you ride?

Would love one of these but feel like the 5'8 is a bit small and the 5'10 is a bit big and probably need to get a regular poly in 5'9 to get it right.

Comment

I reckon an extra .5 - 1 litre over your shortboard wouldn't be a bad thing with these. Wouldn't want anymore than that though as they feel like they want to be in the water rather than on the water, if you get me.

Comment

Working...
                              X