Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Mini Driver vs Stealth Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mini Driver vs Stealth

    Chris (or anybody who has ridden both) can you give your version of the differences. I have an old 6'0 Stealth FST that I love, but it's just about been used up. Should probably just get another one but the Mini is intriguing. I know the rockers, bottom etc etc are different but their volume, nose width, width, tail width and stability are exactly the same on Board Formula. I'm guessing at the same size the Mini feels like it has more paddle because it has a lower nose and tail rocker?? Help me! Any and all opinions appreciated

  • #2
    I think Mini is higher nose rocker and lower tail rocker.
    Mini has round tail (I like) and Stealth diamond
    I have a 5'9 and 5'10 stealth and can't wait for 5'10 mini to come in to shops here (NZ). Going to demo and on paper I think do the switch to Mini. Stealth is nice tho!

    Keen to hear feedback.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Mini Driver is much more difficult to catch waves on. The nose rocker causes a significant delay and it's easy to hung up at the lip. However, it has much better control in the pocket.

      Comment


      • #4
        Really. I haven't been able to feel one up but the description talks about "a fast, low nose rocker" for the Mini??

        Comment


        • #5
          That's true. I may be mis-speaking when I compare nose rockers. But I am clear that the catch-ability of the MD suffers in comparison to the Stealth. It feels like a rocker issue. When I paddle into a wave and push my chest down into the board, the board pushes back and hits the brakes. It seems to work better when I arch my back and straighten my legs. But I'm not used to paddling that way. Same thing happens when I stand up. When I try to push down and my front foot and hit the accelerator I get the opposite effect. It's like hitting the brakes. Then a shift my weight back and it starts to accelerate.

          The Stealth would just go and reward me for my effort.

          I have a 6'0 MD and I'm comparing it to my 6'0 Stealth. I switched boards with my son the other day (5'6 Dominator) and found that I could catch waves all day on his board which is totally under-volumed for me. I was sad when he gave me back the Mini Driver only because of the catch-ability issue.

          On the other hand. I can do a mid-face turn on a 'top to bottom' overhead barrel with total confidence. I think that the board's performance capabilities go way beyond mine :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Anyone comapred the Sub to the Minnie in Wave catch ability. I was hoping the Minnie would sit between the Sub and Stealth might be wrong here. Prjwebb you given your MD a work out yet? Still waiting for my Minnie...waiting....waiting

            Comment


            • #7
              I put a big crack through the deck skin on the first day of decent waves so it won't be seeing water again for a little while.
              Board felt good though. I thought it paddled and caught waves pretty well.
              There's a healthy bit of nose flip but still a good flat section through the centre of the board.
              Last edited by Phill; 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey Seabass, you are right on there. the Mini Driver carries more volume per unit length, so a 60 MD has more board than the 60 Stealth. That right there is the definition of being more hybrid like.

                But yeah generally speaking i think the MD is likely the most versatile of the boards falling in between the two in just about every category...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Can you explain that Chris? According to the website the 6'0 Stealth and 6'0 Mini Driver are both 30.5 volume. I can't decide!!! Ugghhhh

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                    I put a big crack through the deck skin on the first day of decent waves so it won't be seeing water again for a little while.
                    Board felt good though. I thought it paddled and caught waves pretty well.
                    There's a healthy bit of nose flip but still a good flat section through the centre of the board.
                    Where do you think it sits in your quiver at the moment
                    Maybe anything that your CBD wouldnt be all over

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah Wandi pretty much. Although I'm sure it'll handle the same conditions. I think the CBD would be the pick for steep sections with turns in mind. The MN for longer walls or fun size tubes.
                      It'll be my everyday board for 2-3ft too I reckon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know this question has been asked before but I just picked up a 6'2 minidriver and a week later a friend sold me his 6'2 stealth for dirt cheap. Is this overkill of the same board? Debating should I get rid of the Stealth since the minidriver is brand new. Just wondering if both boards can come in handy for different waves? I also picked up a subscrocher for smaller days so trying to figure out where the stealth would fit in.
                        Thanks guys and Happy Holidays.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Way overkill. There's lots of crossover there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rsvaz View Post
                            I know this question has been asked before but I just picked up a 6'2 minidriver and a week later a friend sold me his 6'2 stealth for dirt cheap. Is this overkill of the same board? Debating should I get rid of the Stealth since the minidriver is brand new. Just wondering if both boards can come in handy for different waves? I also picked up a subscrocher for smaller days so trying to figure out where the stealth would fit in.
                            Thanks guys and Happy Holidays.
                            I just bought a 6'2 Mini Driver and have owned a 6'2 Stealth in the past. I also own a 6'0 Sub schorcher and just sold a 6'0 Hellfire. I sold the 6'0 HF because there is too much crossover with the MD. The Stealth, whilst a great board, is a lower performance hybrid compared to the MD. It just doesnt have the same range despite having the same dims and similar volume. Whilst I am a more is better kind of guy when it comes to boards...you dont need both the MD and the Stealth in my view.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                              I just bought a 6'2 Mini Driver and have owned a 6'2 Stealth in the past. I also own a 6'0 Sub schorcher and just sold a 6'0 Hellfire. I sold the 6'0 HF because there is too much crossover with the MD. The Stealth, whilst a great board, is a lower performance hybrid compared to the MD. It just doesnt have the same range despite having the same dims and similar volume. Whilst I am a more is better kind of guy when it comes to boards...you dont need both the MD and the Stealth in my view.
                              Looking forward to a report on the MD Fan - you and I are similar stats and I have my eye on a 6'2" at the moment.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X