• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
    Camry driver? I am!
    Me too. Oh what a feeling!

Comment

Hey FW Fan,
      The biggest way to tell the difference is actually looking at the deck from straight on. They are subtly difference but here is my take.

Mini Driver is for better waves all day long. that's not to say the Unibrow isn't, but the wide point is relatively far forward on the MD and it tapers towards a narrower tail which gives the board a little more grip on a steeper, bigger wave. The Unibrow carries a touch more width through the tail which makes it a fast board in more average conditions. This refined profile yields notably less volume per unit length 510 UB = 30.2L, 510 MN = 27.8L, so you can see you would likely ride the MN a little longer than the Unibrow and if you had both in your quiver, you would be taking it out on better days.

As it stands now, the Unibrow is one of my favorite boards because it does a lot of great stuff in a lot of conditions, especially in SoCal or EC beach breaks. Just make a judgment as to which one hits that hole in your quiver better...

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Chris that is really very useful.
        I am trying to pick between 6 1" Unibrow, 6 1" Chubby Chedda, 6 2" Minidriver or possibly a 6 0" Sub S . Brilliant that the unibrow and Chubby Chedda both come in 1" incrament!
        I have the stealth in 6 2" but find the tail area is just a bit too big/not got enough bite for me (75kg and 6ft 2") when the surf is a better shape. I think this is mostly due to my lack of weight to height ratio.
        I have a dom 510 (which I use for up to head high and love!) and an Alt 64 (head and 1/2 to double overhead or travel when it is hollow) but looking for a board that doesn't cross over too much with these. Finding the stealth overlaps too much with the conditions I want to ride the dom in. Looking for something for head to head and 1/2 which would also go well in punchy/steep shoulder high.

Do you have nose and tail dimension for the Unibrow and Chubby Chedda to publish yet?

Also, I have not been able to get the board compare function working on either ipad or PC in the last week.

Cheers

Comment

The Mini Driver loves that size range Robin!

Comment

Thanks PRJ.
            I do love the look of the MD and they are available now too. Love the stealth in all aspect except for the lack of bite in good surf and the dims of the 62 are the very similar as those for the 62 MD but with a more refined tail?
            Am so tempted by the unibrow though becuase I love the Dom so much. Bit fearful that it would be too much like the stealth for me with a wider tail.
            My 30th coming up though and the thought of a 6 1" Unibrow in technograin is very appealing!
            Thanks again.
            R

Comment

Yeah the TG boards look amazing in photos so I reckon they will be stunning in person. The Unibrow is definitely going to have a better top end than the Dominator, but not as high as the Mini Driver. If you enjoy your Dominator up to head high I don't think you'd have any problems with the Unibrow in waves a couple of feet bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Hey FW Fan,
                The biggest way to tell the difference is actually looking at the deck from straight on. They are subtly difference but here is my take.

Mini Driver is for better waves all day long. that's not to say the Unibrow isn't, but the wide point is relatively far forward on the MD and it tapers towards a narrower tail which gives the board a little more grip on a steeper, bigger wave. The Unibrow carries a touch more width through the tail which makes it a fast board in more average conditions. This refined profile yields notably less volume per unit length 510 UB = 30.2L, 510 MN = 27.8L, so you can see you would likely ride the MN a little longer than the Unibrow and if you had both in your quiver, you would be taking it out on better days.

As it stands now, the Unibrow is one of my favorite boards because it does a lot of great stuff in a lot of conditions, especially in SoCal or EC beach breaks. Just make a judgment as to which one hits that hole in your quiver better...

Cheers
                Thanks a bunch Chris..I will be feeling up a UB later this week. If I could have got a MD in the stock PU dims...being 6'0 x 20 x 2.5 then I wouldnt even be considering the Unibrow..monobrow..lowbrow or any other board that is similar that you might be bringing out. I was disappointed with the 6'0 MD not being standard and had to go 6'2 to get enough volume but unfortunately...its too much volume. The 6'0 UB is right on with volume and while the dims arent the same as the 6'0 PU MD...they are pretty damn close. I am thinking the UB might replace my Subschorcher and MD as there would be too much overlap on all 3. Just need to see how wide that UB tail is.

Comment

What about the Chub chedda compared to the Unibrow?, from what i have interpreted the CC is more hybrid like being a little flatter with wide point forward? which is the preference for hollower more lined up better quality surf?

im pretty set ont he 5'8 Unibrow but since im waiting for tecnograin and am still very tempted by a 5'9 CC iv got time to weigh the pros and cons between these two models

any thoughts?

Comment

Hey Chris,
                    Is there a plan to bring out the Mini Driver in 1 inch increments as well like some of the new offerings?
                    I'd be all over a 601 :D

Comment

Obvious the Unibrow catches waves better then M.D. but what about Dom and Spit does it grovel like these boards. Anyone tried all three. I read Uni performance is better but what about the grovel.
                      Unibrow and M.D. could be perfect match

Comment

Originally posted by Pete22 View Post
                        Obvious the Unibrow catches waves better then M.D. but what about Dom and Spit does it grovel like these boards. Anyone tried all three. I read Uni performance is better but what about the grovel.
                        Unibrow and M.D. could be perfect match
                        I have also thought about teaming up with this duo in my quiver - but have now decided I don’t need to.
                        For me the MD is a very good groveller. Whilst trying to get the MD dialled I have been surfing on it in waves I would normally ride the Potatonator in.
                        2ft no worries at all and I feel (without riding it yet) the Unibrow would be too much cross over.
                        Hey but if you can have both - then why not eh?

Comment

Thanks prj. Going to have to head down to Sussex I think to get a look at the MD and unibrow in boardshop when they get them both in stock. Interested to see how refined the tail is on the unibrow. Don't mind a bit of width as long as it is thin enough so that I can sink it.
                          You posted before that the mini driver is good down the line. How do you find it top to bottom? I'm v much intermediate but trying to go more vertical as have been in a bit of a down the line/ cutback rut.

Comment

The MD doesn't go top to bottom as easy as my CBD but it certainly can do it. It's a very smooth and controlled board due to the lower rocker and continuous curved outline.

Comment

pick mine up about 9.00, by the time the fins are in, pad on and its waxed and leashed up..it will be 9.30 and then ill know !!!

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                                pick mine up about 9.00, by the time the fins are in, pad on and its waxed and leashed up..it will be 9.30 and then ill know !!!
                                Looking forward to your extensive review :)

Comment

Working...
                                X