Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Mini Driver Versus the Unibrow.... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    The MD doesn't go top to bottom as easy as my CBD but it certainly can do it. It's a very smooth and controlled board due to the lower rocker and continuous curved outline.
    PWJ
    So if you have a head high, offshore day at a decent beachbreak like Sennen, Fistral or Croyde low tide - bowly but not hollow would you take in your MD or SubS?
    Thank you for all of your help. Your advice is first rate.

    Comment


    • #32
      I don't have a Sub any more, but in head high bowly waves it would be fun, as long as it's not too powerful. If there's more power the Mini Driver would be a better pick.

      The MD is a real safe board to stick in the car if you only want to take one to the beach in my opinion. If it's smaller than you're expecting it's still got a low enough rocker and enough width to get going and turn in smaller or weaker stuff, but the rails and tail are refined enough that if it's bigger than you expected or nice and hollow it's more than capable of handling it. It's also fairly forgiving and nice to paddle due to the wider nose compared to my shortboard, plus the 5 fin option opens up even more versatility. I just had a fun one on it in howling offshore shoulder to head high little barrels until the wind swung a little more south and ended the session abruptly.

      Comment


      • #33
        Yeh fan, like the look of the UB very much ,looking forward to a review, hope you sniff out some clean ones to test it out, looks a bit like a Maurice Cole I sussed out recently,but less radical concave maybe.
        Last edited by silentp; 01-25-2013, 05:32 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Thanks prj.
          Good point on the 5 fins. Love the dom as a quad with the S4s so could see myself enjoying an MD 62 or 61 unibrow as a thruster when it gets hollow but as a quad for those average just overhead days.

          Chris - any news on nose and tail dims for the unibrow?

          Cheers

          Comment


          • #35
            Just peddling back to this, if I'm looking at a "next step up" from a Dom to sit between the Dom and a Quadrafive I'm guessing the Unibrow will sit closer to the Dom in terms of performance, and the Mini Driver closer to the Quadrafive?

            Is it also fair to say that while there are differences between the two, they are incremental, not profound?

            To put it another way, in choosing a board to sit between the Dom and Quadrafive for use in around head high to 1.5x overhead Sydney beach breaks, reef and point breaks what would you pick?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by buzzy View Post
              Just peddling back to this, if I'm looking at a "next step up" from a Dom to sit between the Dom and a Quadrafive I'm guessing the Unibrow will sit closer to the Dom in terms of performance, and the Mini Driver closer to the Quadrafive?

              Is it also fair to say that while there are differences between the two, they are incremental, not profound?

              To put it another way, in choosing a board to sit between the Dom and Quadrafive for use in around head high to 1.5x overhead Sydney beach breaks, reef and point breaks what would you pick?
              Buzzy, I personally think the MD would fill the gap nicely but there will be a lot of cross over at both ends though.
              I haven't used the Potatonator in ages for this very reason.
              Having said that if you can afford the luxury....why not?

              While you are deciding you may want to take this into account as well. When up and riding I would probably enjoy the 6' MD more but couldn't afford to drop in volume for paddling reasons. The 6'2" paddles so well for me but at times I do feel the extra meat but not enough to get me down.
              Last edited by Goanna; 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM. Reason: had a re think.

              Comment


              • #37
                Thanks Goanna. Yeah, there definitely would be cross over. Even with the Alt and Dom that was a 2 board quiver that covered everything. My only issue with the Alt was that it was a tiny bit over volumed and touch longer than I'd prefer. Then I got the Futura which is a good board although we still aren't 100% on the same page - really that board hasn't got a clear spot in my quiver. I'm presently using it as the next step up from the Dom but I just have an inkling a Unibrow or MD might fill that space better. I'm a surfer who absolutely loves 2-3 foot days when the surf has power. The Dom is pretty good in that. The Alt is pretty good in that. I just feel a more shortboardy Dom would be perfect for those conditions in a way, for me, that the Futura isn't.

                I still want to hang onto the Futura but it really hasn't got a clear niche in my quiver. Most likely I'll be surfing it tomorrow though.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Ok, circumstances may be dictating a different decision. I just put my knee through the skin of the Dominator duck diving this morning. So, I could get it repaired...or I could just trade it for a new Unibrow, and instead of getting a 6'4" Unibrow as a "step up" for the Dom, I get a 6'6" as a straight up replacement.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                    Ok, circumstances may be dictating a different decision. I just put my knee through the skin of the Dominator duck diving this morning. So, I could get it repaired...or I could just trade it for a new Unibrow, and instead of getting a 6'4" Unibrow as a "step up" for the Dom, I get a 6'6" as a straight up replacement.
                    I say go the 6'4

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      You're 100% right. I felt up a 6'2" and I wouldn't want to go bigger than 6'4". I also reconnected with the Futura this afternoon - I was feelin' the love! I think I'll just repair the Dom and look to a Unibrow toward the end of winter.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Ill be honest..I felt up a UB the other day and baulked....I rarely line up a board and then dont take it...actually dont think I have ever done that before. Something about that tail had me worried so I am super keen to hear from anyone who has ridden one a fair bit. I know they are newish so the ride reports wont be based on more than a few rides but what I am really interested in is how does it hold of the bottom (any skateyness to it?) and how does it turn? With the wider tail and most of the curve in the last 6 inches of the tail it looks to me like it would feel pretty stiff? If the poster could give stats like the size of the board, fins used, waves ridden and their weight/ experience it would be much appreciated. BTW Chris..you should start a dedicated UB thread to keep all of this together. Thanks in advance.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I'm a bit different. I can really see it working in pockety small waves. I'd love to have one in bowly 2-3 foot waves (waist to head high). What I'm not clear on is how it goes above 3 foot (head high) - how big a range does it have?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Haven't seen one in person but the outline of the Unibrow looks a little too narrow in the nose and too wide in the tail with kind of a strange abrupt pull in right at the end. Also sizing wise they seem to be too thick for me at least at the given lengths so I'd have to ride much shorter than I'd like. Still wish they did the Mini Driver in 5'9. The jump from just over 25 liters in the 5'8 to just under 28 liters in the 5'10 is too much. Oh well.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by robgnyc View Post
                              Haven't seen one in person but the outline of the Unibrow looks a little too narrow in the nose and too wide in the tail with kind of a strange abrupt pull in right at the end. Also sizing wise they seem to be too thick for me at least at the given lengths so I'd have to ride much shorter than I'd like. Still wish they did the Mini Driver in 5'9. The jump from just over 25 liters in the 5'8 to just under 28 liters in the 5'10 is too much. Oh well.
                              Thats kind of how I view the shape...not saying that means I wouldnt buy one..it was that is was just so different to what I am used to that I wanted to get a better understanding of it first. Reminds me of the fatter round tails we used to ride in the 80"s. To be honest..the bottom contour is different but the plan shape is not really new.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by robgnyc View Post
                                Haven't seen one in person but the outline of the Unibrow looks a little too narrow in the nose and too wide in the tail with kind of a strange abrupt pull in right at the end. Also sizing wise they seem to be too thick for me at least at the given lengths so I'd have to ride much shorter than I'd like. Still wish they did the Mini Driver in 5'9. The jump from just over 25 liters in the 5'8 to just under 28 liters in the 5'10 is too much. Oh well.
                                I'm a bit of an advocate for the MD in 1" increments, though it is too late for me as I have my 602 on order now :D
                                I do wonder if you would notice the 2.5 litre difference between the 5'8 and 5'10?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X