X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Driver - What fins?

This subject seems to be a popular one for most boards, and I have just pulled the trigger on one of these babies, so I'm keen to know what is recommended, and what the guys on the forum have tried. What's worked and what hasn't?

Personally, I'll need a larger fin at 88kg and 6'2", and will go for FCS as my other boards are all FCS already. But lets throw in all the options.

Jase

I've been running Soar DLs. They feel good in every board I've tried them in.
    At your weight I bet the MF1s would go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
      This subject seems to be a popular one for most boards, and I have just pulled the trigger on one of these babies, so I'm keen to know what is recommended, and what the guys on the forum have tried. What's worked and what hasn't?

Personally, I'll need a larger fin at 88kg and 6'2", and will go for FCS as my other boards are all FCS already. But lets throw in all the options.

Jase
      Id be going the Matt Biolos fins by FCS..I have that board in Futures but if it was FCS thats what I would be running. Kind of makes sense given its a larger fin, and comes as a thruster or quad by the same guy that designed the board. I love those fins in my other boards that are rounded pin tails.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        I've been running Soar DLs. They feel good in every board I've tried them in.
        At your weight I bet the MF1s would go well.
        And I have a set of MF1s already!

I like FW-Fan's suggestion of the FCS Mayhem fins too.

Actually, on the FCS site using "compare", they are not that dissimilar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
          And I have a set of MF1s already!

I like FW-Fan's suggestion of the FCS Mayhem fins too.

Actually, on the FCS site using "compare", they are not that dissimilar.
          Jase, as you will be aware...the MF1's are a thinner fin. I like them...and use them in other boards but I find boards with lots of flex dont also need flexy fins..the MF!'s are more flexy than the MB's..again, just my opinion...but I am right, lol.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I get the MB's as well and do some test piloting :)

Comment

I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I'm close but still need to find the right fins as well.

Comment

I'm loving the Kinetic Racing JP CarboTune in my MD 6'0". Stiff base, flexy tip. Great drive, very smooth through turns which just get tighter and tighter, and a nice release off the top. They also feel ok in small surf paired with my PC1 quad rears / GMB quad rears- but only had 1 surf in this set up. They are similar in shape to an AM-1 (larger base and more area in the tip) but definitely surf very differently with a much tighter turning arc. Good luck

Comment

It is funny that people are suggesting the MF-1 or the MB fins because I personally use the MF-1 fronts and the MB rears in a quad setup in my mini driver and I won't ride it with any other fin setup! I weigh about 80 kg maybe a bit lighter and find that this combo goes well in all kinds of surf. If you are heavier than 80 kg I imagine that this combo will pivot well and offer a lot of speed as well as a good amount of hold.

Comment

Endoe, but what MD size are you riding? Have you tried the G-AM's?

Comment

I'm not a quad guy but I tried the AM2 quads on the weekend and so far they have worked best for my 6'2" MD

Comment

I've found the MD feels freer as a quad. It can feel a bit sticky with that round rail and a thruster set up sometimes. I usually run it as a thruster, but have probably had more success with it as a quad.

Comment

You guys who have used the board as a thruster every try a smaller rear fin? Have found on other boards that subbing in a smaller rear often frees things up quite a bit. I've got a FCS PC2 trailer which is basically the trailer from their standard grom set that I pop into my other tri sets for smaller surf and cutting the tail loose.

Also anyone every try K2.1's in an MD? These are usually my goto fins but when I had a Rockup (similar to Mini Driver but thinner and more pulled) I found the K2.1s didn't work at all and went back to standard GMBs. Round tail seemed to need the bigger sides for drive. However MD has lower tail rocker than Rockup so thought maybe the K2.1s would work.

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                          I've found the MD feels freer as a quad. It can feel a bit sticky with that round rail and a thruster set up sometimes. I usually run it as a thruster, but have probably had more success with it as a quad.

Comment

I've been considering trying the smaller rear. I'd like to run a DM rear but only have DL or DS currently.
                            I might try the K2.1 rear just to feel it out. I haven't used the full K2.1 set up for a long time now, preferring a fin that holds a longer line, but they might not be a bad shout in the MD.

Comment

K2.1 rear is the same as the standard FCS 3 series trailer (M3, PC3, etc) so no need to get the K series trailer if you don't have one around.

Comment

Working...
                              X