X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about Lost Mini-Driver dimensions

I'm looking at getting a Lost Mini Driver to take to Indo this year. I'm a bigger surfer (92kg) who needs a bit of extra volume in a board.

I was looking at the stock dimensions on Mayhem's blog and it says a stock 6'2" Mini Driver is 37.1 Litres which sounds like a pretty good number for me.

But then the Firewire page has the 6'2" at 33.9L.

This seems like a fairly big volume difference. Anyone know the reason for this? Is there a difference in dims between a Firewire Mini-Driver and a stock Mini Driver direct from Lost?
    Thanks,
    Chris

The Firewire version runs a little narrower that the stock Poly versions.

Comment

I'm not sure what the diff wud b. u shud b able to paddle 33L in Indo though. as long as there r waves w some juice, u can go w a lower volume. Lucky guy.

Comment

The Firewires seem to carry significantly less volume than the poly versions for the same lengths, varying by a couple of liters from the stock poly dims. Could just be a way to differentiate in the marketplace or maybe Lost adjusted the standard dimensions after the FW versions were finalized. I actually prefer the FW dimensions as the poly's I've felt seem a bit porky. Just wish they filled in the FW lineup with versions every inch or made them able to be customized.

Comment

The 6'4" Firewire Mini Driver would carry the dimensions you're looking for, have the volume you're looking for, and be only 2" longer...a thumb width or so.

Comment

That's one hell of a thumb Buzzy haha

Comment

Two thumbs?

I just got a ruler and checked. Ok two thumb widths.

Comment

Be going a 6'4" myself when there is more imported into Australia. All sold out everywhere i rang.

Comment

Originally posted by cgibbinsuk View Post
                  I'm looking at getting a Lost Mini Driver to take to Indo this year. I'm a bigger surfer (92kg) who needs a bit of extra volume in a board.

I was looking at the stock dimensions on Mayhem's blog and it says a stock 6'2" Mini Driver is 37.1 Litres which sounds like a pretty good number for me.

But then the Firewire page has the 6'2" at 33.9L.

This seems like a fairly big volume difference. Anyone know the reason for this? Is there a difference in dims between a Firewire Mini-Driver and a stock Mini Driver direct from Lost?
                  Thanks,
                  Chris
                  Here is a copy from an earlier post of mine (from Matt) that answers your question
                  Here is something from Matt In response to a question on his blog site regarding different fst dims to the pu stock

'andi responded...
                  hi matt,
                  have been riding a pu version of a 5'10 mini in southern mex the last 4 weeks. didn't get any big swell but you could feel the potential of the board on the occasional sneaky set... made me feel more confident and under control on critical takeoffs and turns compared to my subscorcher but worked as great on the small days too. stoked. thank you.
                  my question:
                  just saw the mini on the fwire website.
                  for what reasons did you change the dims & volumes compared to your standard stock ones?
                  In case of the 5'10, the fst is 19.25 x 2.38 & 27.8litre as opposed to stock dims 19.5 x 2.38 & 28.5litre ??
                  thanks for your input.
                  andi

Matt Biolos responded...
                  I am not really sure, more than I wanted them to have some variety. I think the stock dims on the PU are a bit on the small wave, full wide size and for the FW I wanted to make them kinda an indestructible travel board for decent to good waves.'.

Hope that helps explain the difference.

Comment

I purchased the 6'0 Firewire Mini Driver when it came out. It was good board when I got to my feet but I really struggled to get into waves. Sold it.
                    I just purchased a stock 5'10 Mini Driver and I paddle into waves all day long with ease. I'm so stoked on it. This all seems very consistent with Matt's comment. Something to keep in mind when you're considering this model.

Comment

Working...
                    X