X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the right volume.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and facing a board dilemma which i'm keen to finally crack. I've always surfed standard shortboards, around 6'2 18.75wide x 2.33thick but seem to be a little more solid than i used to be (86kg's but in fairly good shape) and don't get in quite so much at the moment so am not overly paddle fit. Thick wetsuits also add weight in the UK. I've recently bought a subscorcher 5'10 (my first firewire) and like it a lot. It is fast and responsive. It interesting seems to go best in decent surf (1- 1.5 over head). Could i get more out of a bigger board though, given my weight? My surfing is average at the moment. I do the odd ok turn the the even odder bad air but am always trying to improve my airs. The mini driver looks great as an all rounder for the sort of waves we get in Cornwall. But what size do i get? I really want a fast fun board and am keen to really crack the volume issue. So many people in the UK undersize their boards because all their mates do too but it seems like a big step up to get something like the mini driver 6'2. I need convincing that it's not going to be a dog! Any help would be great. Thanks.

I find around 0.37 x 'weight in kg' gives a good volume guide.
    I think that puts you around 31l, but the Sub is a little less than that and your standard shortboard dims seem more like 28-29l dims.

Comment

Thanks. What do you think is more fun then.. 6'0 or 6'2?

Comment

I'd definitely look at the 6'0. I think the 6'2 would feel like a boat to you. They carry a lot of foam through the middle of the board up into the nose which makes them pretty versatile and easy to surf.

Comment

Totally agree with Prj I would go 600 as there is a lot of foam under your chest. The board paddles really well and the narrower tail makes it very easy to turn.

The Vol thing is tricky at first but once you get the right figure in a board stick with it it's seams to work for me.
          My performance boards are 27 ltr ish and I like how that feels in a 5mm wettie. My slop wave board is 29 ish. The calculator has me at 27 low 30 high and has been spot on so far.

Comment

Thanks very much. Just surfed my sub-scorcher in some fast beachbreak, head high closeouts and and definitely feeling under volumed in terms of getting in early so getting ever closer to pressing that 'buy' button!

Comment

Originally posted by JSCRam View Post
              Thanks very much. Just surfed my sub-scorcher in some fast beachbreak, head high closeouts and and definitely feeling under volumed in terms of getting in early so getting ever closer to pressing that 'buy' button!
              Push the button you won't regret it.

Comment

I'm at 88kg and riding the MD 6'0" and loving it. Paddles nicely, and low enough volume in the rail to bite properly when wanted. A great "good wave" all rounder from 2-6 foot. Maybe larger.

Comment

Working...
                X