X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fins on the MD??

I've had my 6"0 MD for around 2 months now and have had a bit of a love/hate thing going on with it Feels a little over volumed but i'm hoping not, seeing as my 5"10 Sub scorcher is a little under volumed. So i'm turning to the fins. Currently on the k2.1's which feel a little stiff and wrong with the board, which feels quite stiff itself. Any suggestions of wonder fins for super-speed would be welcome.

Thanks

Get a quad set in there. That really loosened it up for me. I used Soar DL fronts with the k2.1 quad rears. The full k2.1 quad set will probably work quite well though.

Comment

I just noticed that Felipe Toledo is riding a FW Mini Driver in this Bali contest. He's riding quads as well.

Comment

yeah he stepped onto a stock MD for the event, not sure if he'll ride that board a ton but we'll see!!

Comment

I am currently using the Rusty Balckstix V2 R1. they are quite good but not the holy grail for me. I demo'd a set of AM2 quads and really liked them so I'll get a set of these down the track as well.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've ordered a set of the Soar DL's so looking forward to trying. I have had some great surfs on the MD but it does feel pretty massive. It definitely goes well in the better surf. It has so much hold that in the grovelly small stuff it seems to hold right off the back of the wave, at which point i've re-discovered how great the 5'10 sub scorcher is. Does anyone know what Toledo is riding most of the time?

Comment

Anyone try the mini driver as a five fin set up quad with nobster fin?

Comment

• Sarge
                Sarge commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. The K2.1 fronts with MB rears (same size as Kelly quad rears but with 80/20 foil) and the nubster is for 1.5x OH and bigger. Especially if its barrelling. Hold is reliable, yet still free enough to break your line as needed. Up to 1.5x no nub is required. Well it works for me anyway.

Anyone try the mini driver as a five fin set up quad with nobster fin?

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                yeah i really liked mine set up like that on 1.5x overhead and above, lined up point waves. held in like a champ. on smaller stuff i don't think the nub is really necessary though.

Thx Phill

Comment

Yeah finally decided on the 5,10 MD. Old Fcs system. With the pc 5 quad set up. (gx-q rears)
                Hopefully it`s gonna be nice and loose...
                Wondering if anybody tried the am2 or gam with the gx-q rears?

Comment

• Goanna
                  Goanna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tried the AM2 and they are very good in this board

I use the same fin setup and really like it. I was running the k2.1 quad for a while but find the PC 5 set up a looser easer and to redirect the board on walled up surf. If it's gets bigger the nub gets poped in.
                Originally posted by fred.more View Post
                Yeah finally decided on the 5,10 MD. Old Fcs system. With the pc 5 quad set up. (gx-q rears) Hopefully it`s gonna be nice and loose... Wondering if anybody tried the am2 or gam with the gx-q rears?

Comment

Any feedback out there on how TC Aqua-line quads go in the MD?

Looking for something to liven up my 6'2 MD traveller when its not big heavy stuff.

Standard setup GMB-5 fronts [MF-1s and nubster when need extra grip] and GX-Q rears. This setup also works in all conditions in my 5'10 MD.

To liven up the 6'2 I tried the upright approach with K2.1 fronts but didnt feel good. Also tried front foil approach with PC-5 fronts but not sold on em. Am having fun on smaller days with GMB-5 rears in front and GX-Q rears and playing with nubster - dont need a lot of fin with that thick rail and MD outline - but missing that quad 'zip' i've grown to love.

Read some reports the Aqualines make things zippy, others saying the extra cant loses drive and feels sluggish. Bit of a gamble to drop 160 bucks on, and nearest test centre is two thousand km away]. The little Aqualine rears look nice to try with my standard front fins too, but not worth 160 bucks

any input greatly appreciated!

Comment

Is there anyone else out there surfing the MD as a thruster? Anyone at all? I seem to be the only one!

Comment

• Sarge
                      Sarge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm riding my usual KR Parko carbo tune thruster most days when on the MD. It's just the question asked for super speed suggestion - so only mention my quad setup for barrel riding.

yeah i also ride that one as a thruster. I prefer thrusters over quads in just about every condition. for me the FEAs do it right...

Comment

Aye I also am with Sarge quad for super fast barrels. But I ride mine as a thruster 90% of the time barrels or not. I prefer it on my back hand, thruster that is.
                      Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                      Is there anyone else out there surfing the MD as a thruster? Anyone at all? I seem to be the only one!

Comment

Working...
                      X