X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmorgan View Post
    Swhitworth has nailed the Mini in that review. Its a super versitale wee board. I would say that the size you get has a huge effect on performance. I bought a 510 and it was way too big. The board was fast and carvie but lacked ease of top to bottom without really appilying back foot pressure. The 508 i ride now is night and day in comparison. My mate just sold one on e-bay saying it wont turn i told him of my experance but he has made his mind up. Just food for thought. aS
    i'm looking at your mates one on ebay now, i'm 175lbs though so nearly 80 kg's, based on what you said its too much volume :-(

Comment

• pmorgan
      pmorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you still looking I have a mint con 510 for sale 350 delivered uk.

Yes mate i am, but i am trying to figure out my quiver so i only have 2 boards and a longboard. Currently i have the 5.4 SP, 5.8 DOM, 6.1 HR, 6.3 FF, 6.4 FUTURA, my main board is the DOM which i am hoping to replace with the UNI and keep the FF for the bigger better days, i think there will be too much cross over with the mini and the UNI and not enough low end performance compared to the UNI. I was keeping the FF because of a wicked slab that i surf so i need something for that and i dont think the mini will be upto it.

Comment

Looks like this thread is still going strong. I'm still really enjoying the MD, its actually helped me rekindle a skill level that I haven't been at in years. To those of you into riding the MD as a quad, I'd love to hear what fins you are enjoying the most. I am still into the strech fronts with stamps rears. Today I tried the blacksticks AM1 for fronts and stamps rears. This was an interesting combo, the AM1 seems to provide more drive but then broke free on a high speed turn which I didn't like, almost felt like the fin is too small for me. Maybe the EA would be better for fronts??

Comment

I really enjoy the JC1 Blacksticks fronts with Stretch rears (not on a MD though). Very maneuverable and drivey. I think the EA's and stretch rears would go really well, especially in hollower surf.

Give it a try and see how you go!

Comment

• Josh BL
          Josh BL commented
          Editing a comment
          The EA's are just such a great fin. Probably one of the most versatile that Futures makes. Definitely my go-to fin on every board I get just to see how it works (and the majority of the time it's awesome).

- Firewire Intern Josh

What volume is everyone riding the MD vs other boards? Everything I read says don't size it too big. But at the same time the board is sweet because it can handle larger surf. I can't paddle into larger ground swell on the same volume as my everyday board. I ride a 6'0 Flyer that's 29.6L. I love the board but when waves hit +15sec period and are +5ft I start to wish I had more board (I'm an intermediate and surf at a heavy beach break in Northern Cali where ALOT of water is moving around). Does everyone here who says "don't size it too big" rip? I'm not destroying lips. I want something easy to ride at 5ft to 8ft. The 6'0 is 30.5L, which sounds good, but I'm wondering with the "don't size it too big" feedback if I'm just better off with something like an Alternator (higher volume but longer rail line)? Can you guys give me your experiences along with your skill...and if you're good, try to remember when you were just ok, but wanted to push your limits in heavy beach breaks??!! Thanks guys

Comment

• Goanna
          Goanna commented
          Editing a comment
          Tough question - how much do you weigh?
          Pmorgan and Sarge rip and ride theirs small. I need more volume because I'm a weak paddler - I won't say I rip but I'm certainly content with what I can do so I guess I'm upper intermediate
          It will come down to how well you paddle.
          One thing for sure it really is a good board for what you are describing I just wish they made a 6'3" !!

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          I rode my 5'10 around normal volume and in everyday waves it got into waves pretty good. However in those long period swells in Morocco where it was in the 2x overhead range and 18 second periods I really felt like I couldn't match the waves pace and just felt like they were hitting the shelf and lurching under me and if I committed I'd be eating shit in the lip rather than gliding in under it. My 6'4 Flexfire handled those conditions a lot better. However the Mini Driver paddled around and got into 1.5x overhead and below stuff a lot easy than my 6'0 CBD Taj did.

The Mini Driver was designed for Indo tube riding and the perfect nature of Indo waves often means you don't need to ride a bigger board to get in unless you're surfing those crazy spots.

Originally posted by spjones123 View Post
        What volume is everyone riding the MD vs other boards? Everything I read says don't size it too big. But at the same time the board is sweet because it can handle larger surf. I can't paddle into larger ground swell on the same volume as my everyday board. I ride a 6'0 Flyer that's 29.6L. I love the board but when waves hit +15sec period and are +5ft I start to wish I had more board (I'm an intermediate and surf at a heavy beach break in Northern Cali where ALOT of water is moving around). Does everyone here who says "don't size it too big" rip? I'm not destroying lips. I want something easy to ride at 5ft to 8ft. The 6'0 is 30.5L, which sounds good, but I'm wondering with the "don't size it too big" feedback if I'm just better off with something like an Alternator (higher volume but longer rail line)? Can you guys give me your experiences along with your skill...and if you're good, try to remember when you were just ok, but wanted to push your limits in heavy beach breaks??!! Thanks guys

I think your intuition is right and you should go with the 6'0" at 30.5L.

Comment

Gday all
          moved up to 6’02 Firewire Mini Driver and loving it. really is the one board quiver – my go-to from grovel all the way up to heaving double overhead. absolute barrel MACHINE. Problem is tho if that one board quiver snaps out travelling, then i’m stuffed – so am buying an identical FW 6’2 MD as backup

At 190lb 6’'0 i tried the MF-1/GX-Q quad setup i’d used on the 5’10 FW MD but found it drew the turn out a bit too much on the bigger board so ended up with GMB quad set feeling just right. having an identical backup board in the bag will let me go bigger thicker waves and i’d appreciate suggestions on what quad setup [FCS] will make this board best handle thick late drops on very shallow coral when its well overhead? going with bigger front fins for grip to stay high and tight and drive to beat the lip makes sense, but what foil and what rear fins to complement them? be nice not to have do too much experimenting in the heavy stuff to get it right ;) thanks! Corey. Solomon Islands
          Last edited by coreyh; 12-07-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the 6'0" MD and 193 - 198lbs. I like the K2.1 fronts and the GMB quad rears when it is bigger and barrelling. Those front K2.1 fins are a fairly large fin, but upright. If its DOH then I add in the knubster. (or I would use the AM 1 thruster set if its not a top to bottom barrels only kind of wave)
            For around chest to head 1/2 high surf I like the Kinetic Racing JP5 CarboTune thruster set.
            When its waist high I will use the JP5s up front, with the GMB rear quads.

thanks Sarge - useful info in this quad fin enigma!

i live 1500km from nearest surf shop and mostly surf solo, so dont get to borrow & swap & change to figure this stuff out - just have to fork out crazy retail + freight $$$ and hope for the best

so your quad step-up retains the GMB rears and swaps the swept JP5's for upright K2.1's [both flat foil] - how do you reckon it changes the feel of the board on those long late drops?

i've shied away from upright front fins thinking that things'd get squirrelly when driving straight down the line [i.e. not on rail] in the big stuff, partic given how much lift and speed the 6'2 MD generates. once i set that big fat long rail things are super smooth, its just racing down the line straight that things get weird [5'10 MD bit too squirrelly driving straight down the line in the big stuff, even with MF-1's up front]

thanks again for the feedback!

Last edited by coreyh; 12-07-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel the flex in the tips of the JPs is too much for me when it gets bigger. I think the carbon base really concentrates the flex into the tips. (please bear in mind this comment is related only to the 6'0" MD in DOH. A longer board would be sharing the load with the extra rail line) The tips of the K2.1 are quite large and hold really well. The addition of the knubster makes a big difference to the grip as well. Pretty cheap too, and you can try it out in smaller stuff first and really notice what it does.
            For the type of wave / style you are talking about I would love to try out the Large Simon Anderson Quads. The SA2s also have inside foil on the front fins for more hold and smoother transitions. I think the quad rears are a 50/50 foil. But as I say, I haven't tried them. Good luck. Let us know how you go.
            Last edited by Sarge; 12-09-2013, 09:20 PM.

Hey guys! a lot of useful info in this thread. Before I started a new thread, I thought I might just post my question here. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering a 5'10" MD as I'm looking for a new daily driver. I have a 5'8" fish and am shaping a 5'5" Lost replica fish for summer. I also have a 6'5" for the big days. At this point all of my 'standard' short boards are busted and from what I've read the MD would be a good fit for my quiver.
          However, the volume calculator is leaving me scratching my head a bit- I'd say I'm inter/inter-adv. as far as skill. Fitness is probably slightly above average, but not as good as it was a year ago (before I started my current desk-jockey job). I'm 5'5" and 160lbs, although I've been slimming down a bit as I've been hitting the gym more.
          I'm just looking for thought/opinions on a 5'10" MD and whether or not it would be what I'm looking for, keeping in mind that I need the board to work in the winter with a 6 mm too.
          Thanks!

Comment

• Lizardman
            Lizardman commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the 5"10"should be fine for you. I'm heavier and just picked up the 6'2" and love it. Volume feels just right even when wearing my heavy 4/3 MM. It paddles great and handles a wide range of conditions. Really a nice board.

After my first couple of sessions I recall looking at the board and thinking Yep it's a keeper. Well done Biolos.

I also rode the Unibrow recently, it's also a good choice. Slight edge to the MD though, the rails and outline feel a little more refined. You can't go wrong either way.
            Last edited by Lizardman; 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM.

Thanks Lizardman! I appreciate the input. I used to love riding Mayhem shapes but after break a few very quickly, i moved away from the thinly glassed boards. I'm super stoked to get back on a Biolos shape & will probably just pull the trigger on the MD!

Comment

Take a look at the chubby chedda and pyzalien (comes out some time soon for firewire) they are very similair to the MD, i have a CC and LOVE it

Comment

sorry confused with the sub scorcher

Comment

I bought a Pile Driver and liked it so much I bought a MiniDriver for bigger waves. I also own a Unibrow. I took the MD for its first surf today. 3-4 foot (head high to 1.5x overhead). Mostly closing out but a few good ones in between. I think I like the MD more than the UB. In plan shape they are very similar but the MD is wider in the nose and waist @6'4") and more refined in the tail. Basically the UB seems to sit in that small to medium wave space (which it occupies really well) whereas the MD is more a medium to bigger (but not big) wave board. With similar plan shapes their feel is similar but the UB feels more corky even though they have the same volume, probably because the UB has more foam in the tail. With a Pile Driver and MD in the quiver there really isn't a purpose for the UB. I'll hang on to it for a while though to be sure I prefer the MD. There's not an awful lot in it and both are great boards and it's really a matter of how they fit in the quiver. I prefer the extra width of the PD in smaller waves to the UB (it just gets up and planing more quickly) and in mid size waves the MD is more refined. The UB really crosses over both boards. If I was 38 and not 48 I might just have a UB and then a short board and be done with it. But as I age I tend to like just a tad of extra width. One last thing. The tail on the MD really is quite refined. I was feeling today it could possibly make my Q5 obsolete for better waves. I'll hang on to both for the moment though. I expect I'll keep the Q5 but the UB may go.

Comment

Working...
                X