X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice MiniDriver or Unibrow

Checking to see others opinions as I have been struggling to decide between these two boards 6'1" UB or 6'2" MD.
    I already have a 6' spitfire that I enjoy quite a bit. In surf over chest high I feel like I want something more high performance than the spitfire. I'd say I'm intermediate/advanced level surfer. I have been surfing for 24 years and was very good before getting busy with a career and family. More of a weekend warrior now with an occasional surf before or after work if it's worth it. Fitness level is pretty good.

Logistically I'm on the US east coast in Virginia Beach, VA. Most typical surf is waist high range (spitfire perfect) with less frequent surf in the chest to shoulder or head high range. Part of me feels like the MD is the natural decision since its more high performance than the UB and at least a decent step up from the spitfire. Other part of me feels like the surf here is rarely in an ideal range (chest to head) for the MD so why get that if I can only surf it 1/2 dozen times a year. Whereas the UB could see more use but would be less of a stepup in performance from the spitfire. Decisions decisions.

Ahhhhh this is a tough one. I am a die hard md fan despite all other reports I think it's a one board quiver apart from uber low end. Not surfed the UB so don't want to give too much op on this.But I just checked the stats and I recommend getting a md in the 6"0 not the 6"2, This board is better shorter... Forget ideal vol to a degree...... But it has tons of foam under the chest so paddles really well. I am 38 with a fucked left shoulder living in Thurso Scotland so pritty cold 68 tp 70 kgs + a full 5,4,3 hood,gloves boots ans shit and this board paddles way better than some Hpsb that I have owned. My fitness is pritty good when sober,but bye pro standers not so much. Fw,s cal advrage. Puts me at 27 ltr low I ride 25. That's the point I am trying to make. Go mini......

Comment

just to throw a spanner in the works, you could also look at the Pile Driver (geared to slightly lower end than the MD) or even a Hellfire (to keep it in line with the SF).

What a dilema to have hey...

Comment

thanks guys, definitely not a terrible dilema to have.......I have eliminated the the hellfire from consideration. It's a nice shape, my brother has one but it's not the direction I'm going. The pile driver is definitely a good alternative but I'm not aware of any for sale in my area and I'm looking to buy something in the next week or so to capatilize on the fall season swells that we are getting right now. Still solidly on the fence between UB and MD.......

Comment

MiniDriver will definitely love the punchy tubes I see so many photos of during East coast hurricane season. Not sure how much of that you get where you are but I know I'd be keen to ride one in those conditions.
          The Unibrow would be good in those conditions too but I feel like the MD would have the advantage when it's steep and lined up. The UB would have the advantage when it's a bit fatter and a bit more mixed up. They both cover a lot of the same range though.
          The best way to separate them would be to look at the positions of the wide points. Mini Driver has the wide point forward with most of the volume under the chest. The tail in very refined and it needs some power in the wave to really surf off the tail, but you can make use of the forward area to surf it in weaker stuff. The long rail line from the wide point back made it surf like a longer board for me and I found it liked a nice big wall and drew a longer line through more powerful turns.
          The Unibrow has the wide point back with more area in the tail and a refined nose. You'll probably get away with more weight over the tail when the waves are a bit weaker and the pulled in nose with lots of curve in the tail is going to make it easier to wrap tight little turns on the face.

Comment

Since you allready have a SF I would go MD. I had a PU one and love it in over chest hight waves.

Comment

Guys thanks to all for taking the time to give advice and provide perspective. I looked at both boards in person this afternoon. Ultimately I decided that the tail on the unibrow was a little wider than what I wanted and too close in width to the spitfire tail to make sense. I picked up the minidriver and look forward to logging some time on it in the coming weeks. BTW the shops I checked did have a few pile drivers but none in a size range that would work for me.

Comment

That sounds like a good call swhitworth. I like having a variety of boards in my quiver and try not to overlap anything. Let us know how the MD works for you!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Has anyone tried both these boards? Which is better all a rounder?

Comment

I've tried both. The Unibrow is the more "all around" choice in my opinion. I'm currently using it as my groveler but if I show up to the beach and it's overhead, the board still works great. I just prefer to use my Vanguard in better conditions.

Comment

I thought I would come pack to post a little feedback after surfing the MD a bit. I will start by saying that I'm very pleased with this board. I have ridden it about 1/2 dozen times in a variety of conditions from waist high mush to head high choppy windswell. Had two good sessions with waist to chest high clean surf with juice and some hollow sections. As has been stated before this board isnt ideal for waist high weak mushy waves, thats what i have a spitfire for. All my surfs were with quad setup with my preference being strech quad fronts with stamps quad rears (i really like this combo in spitfire too). Handled the big chop fine and takes steep drops in clean and choppy surf very well. I find the MD to paddle and catch waves very well, maybe not quite as good as spitfire but not much difference. This board is exceptaional in handling high speed turns, mid face turns/gashes and in general will turn on a dime and go vertical if you see a section or face you want to slash. I havent had much of a chance to test the air game but I will get to that. Super fast board and with a quad fin setup in can kick into overdrive easily to make a section.

Comment

swithworth thanks for coming back with a report after 1/2 dozen rides this is a board i've been looking at for a while and when the pile driver was released it just made things harder I say after 1/2 dozen rides as I often find I love a board the first couple of surfs then it starts to show its true colours Pmorgan has been singing praises for a v2 rocket mini driver combination and it sounds as though you enjoy the mini driver and the surf in your area is similar to mine up to head high with full days and some days up to 1&1/2 OH thanks for your input cheers

Comment

Swhitworth has nailed the Mini in that review. Its a super versitale wee board. I would say that the size you get has a huge effect on performance. I bought a 510 and it was way too big. The board was fast and carvie but lacked ease of top to bottom without really appilying back foot pressure. The 508 i ride now is night and day in comparrison. My mate just sold one on e-bay saying it wont turn i told him of my experance but he has made his mind up. Just food for thought. aS

Comment

Hey Swhitworth, Phill and Morgan, what fins are you guys using in your MD?, futures preferably

Comment

• Phill
                              Phill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I was using Soar DL with FCS plugs. I think there's a Futures version out there somewhere called GC.
                              I'd probably use EA Blackstix in Futures tbh.

• Goanna
                              Goanna commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I use the EA Blackstix and also love the AM2 thruster and quad set ups as well – these are real good in this board

• pmorgan
                              pmorgan commented
                              Editing a comment
                              K 2.1 quad or thruster depending on waves

Thanks guys

I've got a fair few sets of future fins but not the 2 mentioned.
                            Anybody using or recommend any of the following for my first surf on new 5'10" MD.
                            Chilli V2, WCT, JC!, Solus, Machado or SA3. Also got Rasta and Stretch fins in quads, but I usually prefer thrusters

I love the WCT in my 5'9" Uniibrow and usually put the JC1 in other 5'10-6'0" boards.

Comment

• Phill
                              Phill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'd go WCT if it's steep and you want to get it a little snappier in the pocket. If it's a little more facey the machados should be fun.
                              SA3 could be a good option in big, powerful stuff.
                          Working...
                          X