Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got to try a 62 UB yesterday for a few hours in half decent head high surf. Combination of big faces and barrels. I used my quad setup that I am used to in my spit (MF1 fronts and sx rears) Board is super fast and gets in easy. From the first wave I could ride it comfortably with no problem, I think because I am used to my Spitfire. I noticed it was way more sure footed than my 62 spit, Made taking drops easy. also held the face really well and gave me heaps more confidence in general.

Only downside is it felt a bit tight, I had to think about my turns. The board loosend right up if I put my weight back, but then I felt like I was too far back for a decent wave. Board paddled easily and I felt I could still manage a few liters less in good surf.

During the same session I had a go on a 6'0 7s super fish about 2l smaller than the UB. In comparison it lacked the acceleration of the UB, a little bit harder to paddle but turned a lot more smoothly on the face.

Any way, I am still seriously considering the 2 board quiver of a 510 potatonator and a 62 MD. I am hoping the 62 MD to be a bit less clunky feeling than the UB while the Potatonator will make up for the lost bottom end. At 92kgs I am fairly confident the 510 PN will grovell for me, but won't really know for sure until I have had it a few weeks.

Comment

• Goanna
      Goanna commented
      Editing a comment
      DGR at 92kg you are spot on with the 5'10" PN -mine was 5'8" and worked well for me but the extra float wouldn't have gone astray either.
      The 6'2" MD is good as well although but for me it doesn't catch waves like the demo 6'2" UB I surfed.

That snap under the lip into a barrel was ok - I do 'em all the time in my head.
    Kelly's vertical air drop take-off into a 90 degree turn/stall at the bottom to set up the barrel on his top scoring 9.87 ride in the final was the most amazing thing seen in the comp!
    You couldn't even call it a bottom turn, it was a bottom pivot on a solid wave. Should have been 10 points just for making up a new manoeuvre. Oh, and Mick's 2 x faded bottom turns to barrelling heat winners were so beautiful. There are a couple of beach-level videos out there that give a different perspective on how big those waves were. (I'd post the link if I knew where the footage came from)

Comment

hey MD guys.. I am still trying to make up my mind on the MD...
      I have surfed a demo 62 Uni B for a bit, and while it had its moments and was super easy to paddle I don't really think its for me. In smaller waves it felt like it could not turn tight enough, in bigger waves I had to nurse it as if felt like it sat to high and was skitery, still a bit like the spit is in bigger waves.

any way, after lots of demo time I I have gone back to my original spit and BP combo, just a bit smaller. I have orderd a 600 spit for medium size waves 55 baked for small, still need somthing to cover the top end. I do have a 606 Alt which just feels too long and slow whenever I ride it.

In terms of getting into waves early How do you think the 602 MD would compare to a 604 Alternator for a 92kg guy? I ask this as this is the biggest worry with the MD, I know I can get into waves fine on the 606 ALT, but it just feels too long.

Comment

• Goanna
        Goanna commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey DGR, I couldn't compare because I've never ridden the Alt but if you can wait, I'll get down there after Christmas to get a few demo's out of the way and I'll lend you my MD.

• DGR
        DGR commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks goanna that would be sweet (you have my number) - hope we have some swell
    Working...
    X