X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another nice MD dilema

Hi, my current go to board is my Hellfire 5'11 I love the Hellfire but sometimes just feel I need a little bit more volume, especially for the 4+ Plus Local Hollow Beach Break (Croyde), sometimes I just lack the paddle speed to get in early enough, I am also thinking with winter round the corner (I tend to surf a lot more in winter than summer these days) and thicker wetsuits I could do with a little more volume. I have my heart set on an MD having checked them out a few times at the local dealer (no testers unfortunately).

First question I have is would a MD be to close a fit to the Hellfire (I absolutely love this board and goes better the better and bigger the waves)? Second question, I am seriously considering the 6'2 and although on paper this goes against my stats - 5'10, 75kg, above average fitness (but average paddle fitness at 38 and two kids etc) I am erring to that rather than the 6'0, could this be a mistake? As much as performance in the kind of waves we surf is a factor (I am above average i reckon, but not quite advanced) wave count for me is also key with surfs generally lasting hour to 1/12 now with family commitments (long gone are those days of 3 hours surfs, food, then another 3 hours...)

Any help is welcome!
    Cheers

I've not ridden either board. But from what I've read you go slightly lower on the volume with the MD because volume is under your chest and paddles easy.

Comment

I think the MD would be a great Croyde board. I had a couple of hollow days at porthtowan on mine and it felt really good. It also felt good on big point waves in morocco. I'm 6'0 and 77kg and I was riding a 5'10. I think if you go over 6'0 it's going to feel a bit of a boat. The boards rocker and foam distribution make it paddle really well.

Comment

Thanks Guys, initially it was the width under the chest coupled with the round tail which initially grabbed my interest. Phil, interesting what you said about Morocco, took my HF there last Oct and it was the only board I rode to be honest, was unbelievable at machine guns but never really got the points firing unfortunately. I suspect you surf more than regular than me and to a better level, but it's interesting with your Stats that a 5'10 is enough. My plan is to retain the HF as my go to but ride the MD when it's solid (I never surf too big, kids have made me risk adverse!). I know it's a tricky one but do you think the 5'10 HF and a 6'0 MD would be complimentary or perhaps to similar (I won't hold you to the answer!)?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the MD will have more control than the HF. I'd ride a 510 HF too, maybe a 5'8 but its prob a touch small.
          I'd say that would work in similar condition but the MD would be my pick in bigger, steeper conditions. I'd use the HF in waves with a flatter wall.

Agreed with Phill. I'd say the MD is a step above the HF performance-wise. They are not as different as a hybrid board would be to a high performance shortboard, but they could be complimentary boards in that you would take out your HF on smaller days, and the MD when it gets a little bigger.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

as a comparison I am 95kg and ride the 6'2" MD in anything from 2-8ft. It is amazing in bigger surf and does the job in smaller waves as well.

Comment

• coreyh
            coreyh commented
            Editing a comment
            Goanna - wot r ur fin prefs on 6'2 MD ? for pushing envelope in the big dredgy stuff; and for loosening her up when its grovelly? thanks! Corey. Solomon Islands

Hi mr Pear 510 all the way. I ride the 508 at 70 kgs 38 years and 5'7. I also had a hellfire and the md is a much easer board to paddle into waves on. The forward shape and slightly reduced nose rocker help. I also have 510 md as my big double over board when wind chop would make paddling a 508 tough. I would have loved a rock up for these days but can't seem to get one in the uk.

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I think I am gonna go 6'0....yeeeeewwww

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
              as a comparison I am 95kg and ride the 6'2" MD in anything from 2-8ft. It is amazing in bigger surf and does the job in smaller waves as well.
              hey Goanna, I am considering replacing my 602 spit with a 602 MD. I like my spit, I just want a change and a slightly more refined board. I weigh in at 92kgs and am a little worried i am going too small with a 602, but dont really want a 604. I know I'll be able to ride it - the question is will I get to ride it enough in NSW south coast conditions.

I aslo have a 507 BP which I want to replace with a 505 BP. I notice you also have a spud. For a heavy guy, do you recon the spud and the MD can cover the full range?

Comment

• Sarge
                Sarge commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi DGR
                I roam randomly (or not) between 88kg & 93kg, & ride a 6'0" MD which I frequently threaten myself with selling. But I'm just not going to do it yet. It covers everything from 2 foot to 8 foot with natural pushing of boundaries at each end. Will happily take it as a single board on pretty much any trip.
                I live in Sydney. You should do fine with the 6'2". The bottom end seems totally cover with your other board. Mine is a 5'10" Dom.

• Goanna
                Goanna commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi DGR, I agree in part with what Sarge says but he and I are different animals - at roughly the same weight (I'm 95kg) he is a finely tuned paddling machine and I have arms like a turtle - a land turtle. I think you will see a lot of difference though coming off the SF because of its flat rocker but as the next level up in performance then it's a good choice - you'll just be working a little harder but it does have a lot of float. I have had some of my best surfing moments on the MD especially when there is some grunt but those moments are less often than I would like - this is simply due to my (lack of) fitness - NOT the MD.

I say go for it if you are a good paddler.
                if you are near by you can always have a go of mine to see what you think.

on a side note I just sold the PN and got a 5'5 BP - love it
                I'm going to keep the MD at this stage and I'm looking for a good all-rounder to fit in between the two.

thanks for the comments guys - I am not a really good surfer but I get a surf in most days so can paddle ok. Interesting that you think there is a space between the 55BP and the 62MD. I am also considering 601 or 602 unibrow instead of the MD. Just want to end up with not too many boards so need one with the best range above a 55BP.

Comment

• Sarge
                Sarge commented
                Editing a comment
                I would also agree that a Uni would be more suitable / consistent as a replacement for a Spitfire. My Uni is 5'11" and I am happy with the volume. I think you would be able to pick the Uni in the same volume as your Spitfire, or even one model smaller as you have the BP to cover the really low end. Decisions decisions.
                Unfortunately this formerly finely tune paddling machine is in Melbourne again and only had one surf since the start of October, & limited prospects until I'm home at Christmas.

• Goanna
                Goanna commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Sarge (formerly known as the Finely Tuned Paddling Machine) Your the perfect man to ask about the differences between the MD and UB -
                have I got this right? would the UB 6'1" be easier to catch waves than the 6'2" MD due to its flatter rocker?
                Would I be on the right track if I used it as my "all rounder" then step up to the MD?
                Thanks!

• Goanna
                Goanna commented
                Editing a comment
                DGR - I surfed the 5'5" BP in less than nice conditions this afternoon. I am beginning to think that I may be right and not need a 3 board quiver. It handled some 3ft waves beautifully!

I would think you are on the money for the difference in length and volume between those two models. The Uni paddles easier. Very close on the wave catching, but the Uni accelerates much more quickly on the take-off. I am still dialling in a prefered fin.

Comment

• Goanna
                Goanna commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Sarge, when you say "the Uni accelerates much more quickly on the take-off" does this mean because it gets in a lot earlier than the MD?
                You mention that it paddles easier but then very close on wave catching - sorry mate but I'm easily confused!!

too many choices.. Now thinking about going a combo of 510 potatonator (instead of the 505BP) and 602 MD. I am thinking with this combo I would leave the MD to better waves over chest high.

I guess why I am leaning toward the MD is beacause I have had a few years on the BP/Spitfire/ALT combination and really like the idea of a higher performance(faster) board I can use in better waves instead of the Alt. I also like the idea of turning more off the front.
              Basically the Potatonator replace the BP and the bottom end of the Spit. The MD would replace the top end of the Spit and the ALT.

(I will still hang on to the 606ALT to take to indo, and my 507 BP for desperate times - but would sell my Spit)

Comment

Another MD Question: Does it like steep drops? My Spit was hard work on these and often nose dived if i was not really careful, my alt was much more forgiving and reliable in this situation. As a board that "performs well in the tubel" I would expect the MD to be good at steep drops. Is that a fair assumtion?

Comment

• Goanna
                  Goanna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes for sure it will take a steep drop.
                  Another thing is when you make the steep drop that MD tail just sticks and holds.
                  At 95kg I am still yet to pop the tail - and I have tried!

• pmorgan
                  pmorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep steep and deep is where the mini is at. Under the lip rail grab and the gas peddle is firmly pushed to the floor.

Yeah I am confusing. I guess my opinion is that for the extra paddling power and let's call it 10% for a memory / feel factor. I would say it picks up a wave only 3% better. But once you have got the wave - still paddling maybe just popping up - there is a definite effect from the full concave up front that give a noticeable acceleration down the face. The MD catches the wave in a similar ball park area, but you might stay higher on the wave for longer than Uni. On the other side I guess the Uni would help you to paddle over to a few more waves so you could catch them. Why is it so? Not entirely sure, but I know my VG catches waves far above its paddling power.

Comment

• Goanna
                  Goanna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You've described the MD perfectly as far as staying at the top of the wave longer goes. Mine does exactly that which is why I have trouble getting up in time in weaker surf.
                  I know it's me not the board though - I do know a guy that has no such trouble on his.

This discussion has caught my attention I was about to pull the trigger on a pile driver as i wanted a board for medium size waves chest to a bit over head but felt the mini driver is for bigger surf or at least more powerful than we get here. I was staying away from the unibrow as i felt the narrower nose would make it harder to paddle but what Sarge is saying is it is the opposite, so hows the uni on steep drops some of our breaks get real suck'y especially on take off at around head high and the odd day up to one and a half over head.

Comment

• Sarge
                  Sarge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't comment on the Uni in 'really sucky' conditions. I use my MD instead. The narrow nose on the Uni does have a fair bit of foam / thickness to it.
              Working...
              X