X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need an FST rock up

Just got my pu lost rock up today here are some picks beside the 508 mini. I tried to show the tail and nose rocker difference. It's got bags of vol through the front end but a very narrow tail and quite foiled out. The rails are mor boxy than I expected but at 2 1/4 tick not too much so. She is 510 x 2 1/4 x 19. This bad boy in FST I recon would be an amazing board.

Comment

• coreyh
      coreyh commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for uploading those pics mate!

did you surf thurso yesterday paul? i heard it was pumping!!

Comment

Well that's a wee bit of a sore subject as the Uk pro tour never asked the locals or ssf permission to hold the comp. we had planed to have a mass paddle out but managed a deal where as soon as the comp was finished no pros would paddle out. I worked for an hour or so which was prity cool. It was pumping double over + on the sets big west swell standup barrels.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah didn't realise a comp was on. That's a piss take on probably the day of the year!
        At least you got a few, I didn't find much except small and crowded or huge and blown to pieces here.

Rock-up looks nice, might have to go back to a PU (rock-up/slayer etc) if Firewire continue to ignore the need for this type of board...sad state of affairs :(

Comment

Hi Magnet I had it out yesterday it was howling offshore double overhead on the sets. The rock up caught the waves with ease. It like when you get picked up by the wave and have that backwards feeling as it jacks up but with the rock up one extra paddle and boom your in. I carries a lot of foam in the centre and nose but the tail is super refined. It's like a minidriver front with a simi gun tail. Not fully sussed out the sweet spot and feel the rails are a wee birth full but we will see.

Comment

• coreyh
          coreyh commented
          Editing a comment
          hows that 5'10 PU Rockup paddle compared to yr 5'8 FW MD mate?

FST Rock Up - agreed. totally.

to be able to really step-up in heavy reef waves without having to make that bloody awkward transition back to traditional narrow nose twitchy outline.

guess just have to go heavy beefed-up PU straight from Matt eh

Comment

• pmorgan
          pmorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there the rock up has quite a bit of vol in right up to the nose it's got a low entry rocker with more tail that the mini. The Rails are fuller too which is my only complaint. It's not hindered my turning but I free it would bite more on steeper hollow drops if the rails were foiled more. Mine was a custom but I never thought to ask for foiled out rails as on the surfer mag forum guys were saying the stock boards were super foiled.

Compared to the mini for paddle power it's top, when the waves a 2x OH the mini was under gunned you felt like you were going no where and would drop out of the lip. The rock up its in way earlier giving you time to set up the first critical turn.

Day to day I prefer my mini and plan to get a pu stock driver later this year. I think the rock up is a great board to have especially if you have been riding a hybrid for a while and then the surf starts pumping. It's a very easy transition. I still ride my 6,6 simi gun but only when it's big windy and steep as I find a 510 it's still too small.

an FST one would be a great travle board and could easly make a two board quiver with a v2 rocket to complement it. Hope this helps.

As for fins I got a 5 fin setup and run the k2.1 quad as I just love this fin.

As of now there are no plans for an FST rock up, but hopefully one of the other models will suit you.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
        X