X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pile driver review

Any one tried one of these and care to share the experience. What sort of range does it have and what sort of waves does it like? Is it a good wave board like the mini driver or could you use it as an every day board I fancy the look of it but have not seen one in the flesh yet

More of an everyday board. It goes from 2 foot punchy and up. I haven't had in really big surf yet so I don't know what the top range is. It feels similar to the mini driver just a bit more user friendly in smaller stuff.

Comment

It's funny how every one seams to think the mini is only for good waves, I use mine as a daily driver in anything from 2 ft to well overhead and it flys. I actually think it catches and rips waves way waser than my subscorcher which has 1.5 more liters and ment for mush. I recon the pile driver would make a great every day board for. 90% of surfers vanguard lovers aside.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I used my Mini Driver in anything that wasn't Sweet Potato worthy. It wasn't ideal in some of the smaller stuff, but it had enough foam forward to get by.
        I think the Pile Driver would be a good improvement on the lower end of the MD, and an improvement for snappy turns on steep walls rather than tubes and carves that the MD really excels at.
        The MD is still very versatile though.

Thanks for your comments guys im looking for a mid size board I have the grovlers covered Baked potato and El Fuego so looking for something from chest up tossing up between a V2 rocket ,Pile driver & unibrow something with a bit of rocker. Im an older guy so need a bit more foam than most. Iv'e read comments about the mayhem boards not going so well in the higher volume. Whats your opinion and what board do you think you would prefer as an every day chest high up to a couple of foot over head steep take offs with some push.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Chubby Chedda? Vanguard? ;)

I've found the Unibrox to be great board for anything up to overhead (may go bigger I just haven't tried it) for steeper waves, with some pop...(I mainly surf at Ocean Beach in San Fran). At least twice a session I take off too late or am in the wrong position and end up squeeking out a drop I wouldn't have made on my Sub-Scorcher's big nose. The Uni is by no means a short board nose but it has less width/more rocker than I thought handling it in the shop. I really want a V2 but that thing has a lot of width in the nose; I don't think it's going to treat you much different than the El Feugo on steeper faces. Alternators are a terrible recommendation because they're so hard to find now but if it helps I go: Forecast is 3to 5ft (which means we're getting sneaker 6ft) I grab Unibrow Forecast 4 to 6ft (which means we're getting sneaker 7ft) Alternator I am not a shortboard guy. But the Alternator is right up there with the Channel Islands Flyer for being super user friendly, great paddler. One thing I'd say is we just started getting long period winter swell and a few 5/6ft days felt like I could have used more rail line than the Uni. All personal preference. Cheers

Comment

• ONeal
        ONeal commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks spjones I had a sub-scorcher didn't quite get on with it so I went back to my El Feugo. How do you find your Unibrow paddles compared to your sub?

Well there was a debate about this going on over in the Uni forum and a few people disagreed with me.....but I think the Uni paddles just ok for the boards in the hybrid genre. The reason it can handle more size and steep drops (less nose, more rocker, more rail curve) means it just doesn't paddle as well as the Sub. I personally think my 5'10 sub and 5'10 Uni paddle about the same even though the Uni has 1.2L more of volume. That's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't size a Uni at the same volume as an El Feugo if you're trying to paddle into bigger waves. But again other people disagree so probably good idea to read through that Uni forum. Cheers

Comment

What bottom concave does the PD have?

Comment

I think I'm pretty sold on a Pile Driver to replace my Futura. The original line of thought was to replace my 6'4" Dom with a 6'4" Pile Driver but feedback turned me off that idea, plus feedback is some of the (recurring) dings on my Dom are eminently fixable. I have a Futura which just doesn't 100% gel with me. It's a great planshape and rocker but I just need an extra litre or two down the stringer (centre) for it to work in small/medium waves the way I'd like. By the time the waves have enough power to push the Futura I prefer other boards in the quiver (UB and Q5). So I suspect the Futura will go on eBay imminently, to be replaced by the Pile Driver. The Pile Driver looks like the board the Futura almost is for me , but not quite.

Comment

Buzzy I went to order a Pile Driver a little before christmas and was told they wont be in aust till mid march couldn't wait that long for a new board so i bought a V2 rocket then went six weeks or so with no swell. It's finally come in with an on shore however yesterday we had 3`5 foot off shore/cross wind on some beaches and i loved the rocket.

Comment

Working...
            X