X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pile Driver. What`s up?

Hi, wondering whats going on with the pile driver?

Doesn`t have an own section on the forum. (even if later models does) Doesn`t show on the board compare. It`s not up on Lost`s homepage....
    Also somte cryptic info that it has more rocker than the mini driver, even if the desciption say it should be the same.
    I find this board very interresting, it will proberly be my next one, but we need some info please...

a little more tail kick than the mini driver which has a low exit rocker. it's a FW only model and can only be ordered otherwise as a custom through lost so there isn't a lot of info out there.
    it looks like fun to me and i know chris really like his. he said it's a lot more snappy in the pocket than the mini driver which sounds good as i felt the mini surfed a little too safe and smooth for my liking.

Comment

Thanks for answering.
      How is the rocker on pile driver compared to hellfire?
      It would be good if rocker showed on the board compare...

Comment

Hi coreyh - check out this thread on the Pile Driver too: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...58-pile-driver

- FIJ

Comment

Hey Corey,
          Yeah so the PD dynamic is a little different. In the recent years with boards getting shorter wider and flatter, generally speaking, i have become ultra sensitive of the relationship between rocker and the perception of speed on a wave. To me there is a delicate line between functional rocker for my riding style (and the waves I surf) and a touch too much so that you feel like a little of that drive is gone.

The Pile Driver is a great board so long as the wave has just a little extra punch. I was ultimately a little surprised how much i noticed the tail rocker and felt like I had less speed coming of the bottom on average waves in SD county. Compared to the mini-driver it offers more control in a vertical spot, a shorter arc, and is easier to really bury the rail. But if you love the Mini Driver, i am actually going to venture a guess that you'll have the same feeling as me, good board, but it feels like I might be missing something. I feel the mini driver more efficiently maintains speed from one maneuver to the next because of the tail shape and overall rocker profile/foam distribution.

Look to the PD if you want a board that is easier to hook and one that will definitely feel different than your MD, a bit slower, through that may not be a bad thing in the right conditions.

The Hellrazor and Hellrazor 2 are actually two insanely good options too. I found them both to be faster in comparable conditions, but with a higher performance ceiling that a chunkier hybrid.

Overall PD is a fun board, its just not as fast as one might think looking at it on paper. Go with it if you like a rockered feel to your hybrid, or pursue something else if you like that effortlessly fast feeling.

Cheers

Comment

I agree with Chris you really notice the tail rocker. But so far I haven't had any issues with a lack of speed. I quite like it. It's definitely loose but the width gets it up and planing pretty quickly. I've now surfed it 4 times and mostly it was in waist high and below waves. No dramas.

Comment

Buzzy how's it compare with the Uni?

Comment

Originally posted by 50young View Post
                Buzzy how's it compare with the Uni?
                It's a little early to tell as one day aside I've only had the PD out in small waves. I can definitely say the PD has a lower low end at the same length. And it does feel just a touch looser than the UB. That's ll I can really say at this point.

Comment

Just to peddle back to the question of how it compares to the UB - I've sold the UB. To elaborate - the UB remains a great board. It's a fantastic fit surf every day surfer's small to small/medium wave board. But it don't surf that often. I'm 48. I surf just weekends in winter and 4 days a week in summer mostly for hit and run one hour sessions. The PD is a touch wider. It has a bit over a litre extra volume over the UB. It's right on the sweet spot for me in small waves. I think the PD is looser but the UB a bit drivier. Essentially though both boards cover much the same wave range for a surfer if a similar weight and fitness. Much will turn on preference and how it fits in with other boards in the quiver.

Comment

Working...
                  X