X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano nano

Anyone got feedback on riding the nano? Especially if you have a Vanguard. I am riding a 508 VG (32.2L) quad setup (controllers) and am looking at a 509 Nano (33.8L) maybe 510 (35.7).I weigh about 215 at 6'1". The controllers on the VG feel insane in bigger surf and have used the WCT tech flex up front with QD2 3.75 rears on it for smaller surf.

Is the Nano a lot for back footer like the Vanguard or less?? I am a really front footer and do not want to catch the rail during the bottom (like on the helfire for me).
    If someone has info or experience, please share.

Comment

Haven't had the chance to ride one of the new Nano's, but rode a 5'8" about 5 years ago and noticed that yes it felt much more like a back-footed board. Admittedly the waves were a tighter pocket but it loved bogging that front bit of the rail through cutbacks. But I am very much a front footed surfer also.
      The new ones look a little more curvy through the outline and don't have as much of a pronounced wide point as those older, original ones did. Could be wrong though?
      Still frothing to get on one regardless!!

Comment

Hey guys, I just got my Nano a couple of days ago. I love the Vamguard but was looking for something that could handle a bit bigger surf. I'm hoping the Nano is that board. I rode it this morning but it was so wind swelly and mixed up I didn't really get a great feel for it yet. I will say its fast and paddles pretty similar to the vanguard. I'm riding roughly the same volume on both. I'll update once I get a good go at it.

Comment

I've got a 509 (28.8L) Unibrow, so what differences would the Nano bring to the table? I don't want to double-up on boards that would work in similar conditions...

Comment

Nano is for thigh to head high and the uni is chest high and up. Yes, they overlap, but not heaps. I'd probably look at a DA or a PN instead though.

Comment

The Nano is going to be a super all rounder. Ridden low volume it's going to be really high performance, and ridden high volume it's going to be a little cruiser but with a decent low end.
              I'd look at it as a daily driver. It's not going to be great in really big waves unless they are clean, smooth and down the line and there is a lot of tail area and volume as well as a big wide release point which is going to limit it's hold compared to Tomo's other boards like the V4, Psyko, Wizard Slayer and his earlier dual fin Hydrofoil/MPH designs.

Comment

Rode the Nano in clean chest high-maybe. Love the board. I'm sold on these designs. I don't think I've ever ridden boards that are more controllable, precise, yet forgiving. The Nano seems to land under the feet well, much like the Dominator. That being said, I think the Vanguard is ideal below head high, and the Nano so far seems like it will work better in bigger, punchier surf. Don't get me wrong, the Nano still works great in small stuff, it just takes a little more work. Just my two cents but Tomo shapes are the real deal and have given this old guy some new stoke on surfing. Only rode as a thruster, will try as a quad and report back.

Comment

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it's a good video on Tomo. I think there's a Nano in there at the end, too...

http://vimeo.com/61040303

Comment

Hey sesurwood, thats a very interesting take on em. I would have figured opposite in terms of VG more of a HP bigger wave board and the Nano as more of a groveler to standard fair wave.

I'm planning to visit my board shop so as to feel the boards up. I like running my hands down and down em, prolly look like such a weirdo as most ppl I see don't do that sort of thing.

Comment

• csarqui
                      csarqui commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's my thought too. The VG is the "Hi Performance" category, while the Nano is in the "Hybrid" category. I'm hoping for the Nano to be more grovely than the VG.

• aurfalien
                      aurfalien commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm almost 100% its more grovely, check the full tail. If you've ever surfed the SP then you'd know as that fat full tail made such a good groveler. The tail on the Nano is pretty fat and full too.

• D.Bru
                      D.Bru commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I feel the same way. My 508 VG performed insane in the last swell we recently had here in North County. Couple air drops here and there but felt like I was snowboarding on the face. Really don't like the VG in the two foot slop. While the Nano might be great in big surf too I think it will be way more fun in the smaller stuff...

Hi guys, is the Nano back footer like the Vanguard? Is there some one with info on this?? I am really front footer and dont like to catch the rail (it did with me with the Hellfire...)
                    Tx

Comment

Im def picking up a Nano as my grovel board asap but not to sure if you are supposed to ride them with less volume like the vanguard or the same volume as i would a hybrid. Im 5 10 and 160 lbs, and have a 5'2 Vanguard and a 5'8 V4 and absolutely love both boards, probably the funnest shapes ive ever ridden! Im hooked on Tomo's shapes and philosophy on board design. Im leaning towards the 5'4 but wondering if the 5'5 would be better for a groveler. Any suggestions?

Comment

• aurfalien
                        aurfalien commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well not having ridden Tomos, go 5'5" as it falls perfectly in between your boards lengthwise :) I would imagine a groveler would have a tad bit more volume anyways.

• Fazza
                        Fazza commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a 505 FST VG and a 5'10 FST V4 i was advised by Firewire Rep to go with the 506 FST Nano which I have on order. I am hoping that it will grovel a little better and paddle into smaller or slightly fatter waves better than the VG……i'm 48 (bugga on the downward slide to 49) and 68kgs

I don't see it as a groveller. It will have a decent low end because of the efficient design and the area in the tail, but if you look at the 5'6 Nano, it's close in outline and volume a 5'10 V4 with the nose rounded off 3" and the tail block cut back 1".
                      Depending on how the rocker is set it could be geared to a more HP approach or a lower end approach though so we'll have to wait and see in that respect. It's definitely not intended for the same surfing or conditions as a Potatonator let alone Sweet/Baked Potatoes though. The reason the Nano has that wide tail is to keep the outline straight to reduce drag. The concaves, fin placement and rails along with the small dimensions of the board will keep it from surfing like you'd expect a board of that tail width to surf. That's why it's important to size them small if you want to be able to surf them as intended.

Tomo describes it as his take on the 21st century HPSB.

Comment

I agree with you Phill. I don't expect the Nano to be "a groveler" but I hope it's at least 1 tick closer to the groveler end of the spectrum than the VG. The wide tail is just part of the Tomo magic.

Comment

I guess you'll have to determine for yourself if the Nano is more of a groveler than the VG. It's just my opinion and I have both boards and have ridden both in knee high surf and head high surf, and for me the VG's wide tail is hard to dig in at higher speeds, but the Nano handles bigger punchier surf much better. At least for me. But one man's groveler is another man's high performance shortty. I'm sure if I went with less foam on the VG is would widen its use in bigger waves, but I ride both boards at nearly equal volumes and the Nano has a much higher performance threshold. But don't let me sway your decision either way. The jury will be out on this until more people start riding both boards. I think whichever board you chose you are riding the future of surfboard design, as both the Nano and the VG are unbelievably easy boards to ride. Just aim and shoot and you'll be surfing faster and better than you ever thought was possible. And, no, I don't get deals from FW or Tomo.

Comment

Working...
                          X