Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There appears to have rocker across the length of the board but still relatively flat is how it looked to me off he vid.

Comment

This is a good video of the Nano in action in smallish waves...Looks like it might be groveller-able...

http://vimeo.com/83678528

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        A pro in indo though

• Goodfish
        Goodfish commented
        Editing a comment
        True. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself...

As a 3 board quiver, would this work:

5'9 Unibrow
      5'3 Baked Potato
      5'7 Nano

Would there be much difference betweenn the Unibrow and the Nano in terms of performance? I'd love to add a Double Agent to that mix too, but I'm worried it would be too similar to the Baked Potato. What do people think?

Comment

• csarqui
        csarqui commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm right there with you Goodfish. I have the 5'9 Uni and am looking add the 5'6 Nano. I expect that the Nano can handle a bigger/hollower wave. The models that I saw at the shop have a lot of rocker.

• Goodfish
        Goodfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your input. So, you don't think the Nano would mess with my Uni love?

My perfect 3 board quiver: 5'2 Vanguard 5'4 Nano 5'8 V4 Any suggestions on medium fins for the Nano. Mine should be here any day and wanna have the right set of fins ready for her!

Comment

I think people are a little confused with the Nano and Tomo's shapes in general.
        While yes the Nano is great at surfing smaller waves also, it should still be surfed with a performance based approach. Meaning you should still be ripping the sh%$ out of it in small stuff as you would on a bigger wave. Don't go thinking it's gonna replace your Baked Potato as a small wave board. It's going to want to be surfed hard in the small stuff and even harder and more vertical in better waves.
        Remember it IS a high-performance shortboard, squashed down with all the unnecessary parts taken out. And his boards ARE high-performance. Of course the VG works well for a wide range of surfers but at the end of the day it is made with HP surfing in mind to really unlock all it's potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1yoTu9y_tY
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rps0B7ueEw8

Comment

• csarqui
          csarqui commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. The Unibrow is currently at the top of my high performance range. I'm looking to add the Nano to the top of that range. But I like boards with wide area of usability, hence to hopefulness that it is a little friendlier than the VG.

Here's a vid showing a little bit of grovel: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151964287759244

Inside word is that the nano goes bit better than the vanguard in smaller stuff which is great. Can see that it's not replacement for the potatoes but a little more low end than the vanguard fits in well.

Comment

Hey guys, interesting reading everyones take and opinion of the Nano's, especially any feed back from those that have ridden them. I've had a good look (no waves yet) at the Nano through work, as we were the first UK store to receive them and I think a previous comment as in "don't judge a book by it's cover" is very apt. The top deck profile looks user friendly with the wide point forward, soft nose shape and a wide drivey tailblock. The side profile however reveals a surprising amount of both nose and tail rocker. This rocker combined with the wide point forward should help keep the nose out of trouble through turns and hollow sections and It looks like it can be surfed much harder than the shape would lead you to believe.

I think It's more down to selecting the right size for your ability and weight. It can be a small wave speed machine in the right hands with the ability to still be ridden hard and vertical in overhead surf. Or in longer lengths a small to medium size surf cruiser for the intermediate allowing for smooth predictable turns and plenty of drive.

From the footage I've seen it's happiest from 2-4ft and does it very well with potential to go bigger with stiffer fins. It's the extremes either side where the performance will drop and you'll need to reach for something a little more suitable...A great "under the radar" all rounder and solid part of any quiver.

Looking forward to getting a demo to try out!

Comment

can't wait to get some more actual rider reviews on this thing.. chris, josh get any runs at this thing??

Comment

• Josh BL
              Josh BL commented
              Editing a comment
              Not yet...!

- FIJ

Haha that vid poor guy, reminds me (conversely haha) of a vid of kelly slater surfing a coffee table tho... dunno if it had a foam deck in it or what but he was getting it to go... just goes to show...

From looking at the nano in the flesh i would say it is deffo an absolute minimum 2ft plus board. Im planning on getting a VG as it seems to be the one the most people love the most and its the most clear cut example of this style of design... Once i see how it goes who knows maybe il be selling up for an all tomo quiver

Comment

If anyone cares. I haven't gone back to my Vanguard since I got the Nano. It works in everything 2 ft to head high. I haven't even tried different fin configurations because the thing just works for me as a flat sided thruster. I think for the right person this board will dramatically improve your surfing. NANO NANO! MORK CALLING ORSEN.

Comment

Originally posted by sesurwood View Post
                If anyone cares. I haven't gone back to my Vanguard since I got the Nano. It works in everything 2 ft to head high. I haven't even tried different fin configurations because the thing just works for me as a flat sided thruster. I think for the right person this board will dramatically improve your surfing. NANO NANO! MORK CALLING ORSEN.
                Can you elaborate on the ride differences between the Nano and Vanguard? What does the Nano do better than the Vanguard, why would one choose one over the other?

Comment

I love the Vanguard and still have fond memories of it. The speed and minimal effort excelleration of the design are what dream boards are made of. I was convinced I finally found the board that fit my hard driving back footed, pedal to the metal approach to waves, I kept saying to myself, "at last a board that understands what I wanted to do in the water." I even told everyone I don't think I'll ever ride anything else. Now granted I only had the Vanguard a month before I saw the launch of the Nano and 5 weeks before my Nano showed up, so the only gripe I had about the Vanguard was when it got abnormally big in Carlsbad for a few days there were a few waves that I just could not get the board to bite at high speeds. These were some way overhead waves and rather long period swell so there was more power and speed than I'm typically accustomed to. So even though I found my magic board I just couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to give the Nano a shake. Anyway, so the Nano came and it had the same drive and speed profile as the Vanguard but it just seemed to perform more effortlessly than the Vanguard, which I would have never thought possible, so, I haven't had both boards very long but both designs have improved my attitude and increased my love of surfing, which makes me happy and if I'm happier in the water than I'm surfing better, at least in my mind, which is all that really counts. Did I answer your question? Probably not. But I really don't think you can lose with either design, I do think it's most important to get the sizing right on the V over the N.

Comment

loving the froth sesurwood

Comment

thanks for the extra info sesurwood, sounds like a winner, speed of the vanguard with extra usability

Comment

I hope Core gets one of these as I'd be eager to here his take. Hell I'd almost buy him one simply for his break down of the thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X