Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be able to give some feedback very soon. The swell is only hovering around 1' at the moment but the swell is supposed to jump to around 6' by end of tomorrow (with a good dose of luck) which is why I pulled some strings to get the nano in time for it. Depends upon the ex-tropical cyclone currently tracking down the coast towards us turning into a tasty East coast low.

Comment

yeeeeew lets hope it delivers!

Comment

Surfed the Nano 3 times so far......love the board. The 3 sessions have been varied conditions, shoulder to over head high clean, shoulder to over head high slightly onshore and last session was head to head half high really strong side shore but relatively clean on the face with a bit of a lumpy or foam takeoff. The board is really fast, smoother to turn than the 505 VG i have and i am almost going to say that i prefer it to the Vanguard. I feel it paddles slightly better than the VG and is very responsive and lively underfoot.......will report back after a few more surfs but so far really great board that seems to handle a variety of conditions. Here is a shot of the first wave is surfed the Nano on my backhand http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...fetch?id=43717

Comment

• Fazza
          Fazza commented
          Editing a comment
          hahahaha.....nope :)

• justo
          justo commented
          Editing a comment
          ahhh, it's left handers....

• Fazza
          Fazza commented
          Editing a comment
          still a no.......lefties would never be that uncrowded :)

What size is your Nano, Fazza?

Comment

• Fazza
          Fazza commented
          Editing a comment
          Goodfish i'm riding a 506......

• Goodfish
          Goodfish commented
          Editing a comment
          OK. I'm trying to decide between a 5'6 and a 5'7. 5'6 is my volume range, so I guess I should go with that, but I was thinking if I had a little more it would grovel better...

• Fazza
          Fazza commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in that same dilemma but went the 5'6 and don't regret it. Thought it was going to be too small but it is not. Could get a 5'7 as well for the grovel days .

Ok...the nano went for it's maiden voyage this morning at daybreak. 6'2" fst Futures shod with TP1 thrusters.
        Gotta say how weird is that nose when paddling? Used to have a Diverse broadbean model which had the same nose but still.
        Board paddled well and caught waves easily, so first couple of essentials covered.
        The waves were clean with an offshore into a slight cross-shore wind at 3-4' with a rising high tide on my local beach breaks. First wave was a set wave on my backhand and the board took off.
        Noticed its planing speed right off the mark and it also held excellent speed over fuller sections that would only be equaled by baked/sweet potato and potatonators.
        The best analogy of the nano is its like a labrador with doberman's teeth.
        It's playful and easy to get along with but when you want it to bite it's got the teeth.
        Much more forgiving than the vanguard 6'er I rode a few times and with the 6'2" it let me put my feet in the wrong position here and there and didn't make me pay for it like the vanguard would.
        Board felt great as a thruster. Only thing I find with thrusters is they give me a sore lower back so may try some quads at some stage but the thrusters were great.
        Stoked with the board and a worthy successor to my previous favourite, the potatonator, but with a more useable wave size range.
        Last edited by cuttlefish; 04-14-2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Fazza
          Fazza commented
          Editing a comment
          good description mate.......pretty smooth board eh.

So much stoke for the Nano. This stick is a winner!

Comment

So said Nick Carroll in the ASL board test, "major winner" if I recall correctly. And Hedgey said, "epic little board" so we know they loved it.
          I think it scored the highest points overall out of all the boards tested too.
          I quizzed Nick about the nano on another forum and he said he was going to order one from Tomo with some tweaks.
          Comes down to the fact that if you can't get on a nano and rip, it's you, not the board.
          No blaming your equipment on this one.
          Last edited by cuttlefish; 04-15-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Sounds fantastic..interesting that people seem to be leaning towards this over the Vanguard. I'm undecided between the two and had already seen the review on the ASL board test where the Nano looked superb so it's great to get quality feedback from people who have been using both. Would you say that the Nano would still really hold top end and in a decent size?

Comment

Been riding a 5'6" VG for about a year now. Pretty much haven't ridden any other sort of shortboard since then. Since getting a 5'7" Nano a few weeks ago, I can't see myself riding the VG that much at all anymore. The Nano feels much more solid underfoot with the same amount of squirt and handles the bigger/bumpier stuff much better than either the VG/V4 in my opinion. Surfs much more HP and handles harder turns and coming off the top much easier also. Definitely still go for the VG if it's your first Tomo because it will have you hooked, but if you're looking for an add on to your VG don't look past the Nano.

Comment

• Fazza
                Fazza commented
                Editing a comment
                Lordsword.......feeling the same haven't ridden my 5'5 VG or the 5'10 V4 since i got the 5'6 Nano 2 weeks ago.

Had the chance to take the Nano out again yesterday. Conditions were 4 ft+ (chest/head high), calm winds, peaky A frame beach break slow rollers. Even in the less punchy surf, this thing caught everything and really flew. Setup was Tri w/MB2 Thruster. Really gets down the line in a hurry, unlike say my spud which requires a pump to get the speed going this thing just gets up and goes. Had no problem sailing thru dead spots and got up/down the face with buttery smoothness, had a couple floaters and can really feel my surfing improving everytime I take it out. I have not ridden a VG yet, but this board is very forgiving despite having a wide performance range and speed, speed, speed. Also, I continue to be surprised by its paddling ability.

Comment

• BFILK
                BFILK commented
                Editing a comment
                I have not ridden a VG, but I can say after riding various Lost and Dan Mann Firewires, when I caught my first wave on the Nano, it felt very different underfoot. Not in a bad way, or in a way that takes a different surfing approach to master, but in the way the wave feels under your feet. Instead of pushing thru the water, its like floating on top. Its really hard to explain, maybe someone more eloquent than I can do it justice. Its just really addicting and seems like the reduced drag from planing on the surface allows the board to just move faster down the line. The crazy thing is, you'd think a faster board would be more squirrelly and tougher to control, but I find its very forgiving and intuitive. You think, hey I want to go there or climb the face and it just goes without having to man handle it. I'm also not an advanced level surfer, so the extra speed + forgiving nature is a dream come true for me.

• aurfalien
                aurfalien commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, ok major froth now. My wife will just have to deal with more boards around the place. Good think we didn't have kids or I'd have kick em out :)

• BFILK
                BFILK commented
                Editing a comment
                HA! I know the feeling!! Everyone needs this board. I've also been looking at maybe a VG/V4/Vector, but I honestly don't know when I'd take them out. The SP covers me for grovelfest and the nano will tackle anything from waist to slightly overhead. We don't get surf much bigger than that in So Cal so I'm afraid they'd just collect dust.
                Last edited by BFILK; 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM.

Hi, It looks like the Nano is working really well for lots of you, how do you find it in decent sized waves especially in relation to the vanguard? Thanks, Garry

Comment

Garry- I don't have experience w/the VG but I did take the Nano out yesterday afternoon in 6-7 ft faces and it handled it w/zero problems. Easy, fast entry. Plenty of speed and control with enough rocker to make drops easily. That is the biggest surf I've had it out in and I sized it for waist to head high in terms of volume, so its a bit more vol than I'd have in say a V4 in those conditions and it was still buttery smooth and I didn't find the extra vol prohibitive.

Comment

Working...
                X