X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4 vs. Nano

I'm looking for a board that will be above my PN in my quiver. Pretty keen to check out one of these Tomo boards, but it's kind a hard to tell what the differences are between these two in performance and preferred wavesize. I like the FST boards, so leaning towards a Nano, but maybe a V4 will be better in steeper and faster waves?

V4 will excel in good waves. Nano is a good daily driver. Both are high performance.

Comment

i got a 5'10 V4 and a 5'6 nano arriving any day now.......will let you know what i think after a few surfs

Comment

Originally posted by Phill View Post
        Nano is a good daily driver.
        Had my Nano out yesterday (first ride) in 3-4' w/ a lot of chop and the thing goes so well. I haven't ridden a V4, but I can say the Nano is a winner.

Comment

Ran into an old mate going out for a session who had a LFT Nano 6'0. Managed to snag a loan for a few waves out there.
          Size was about head high, smooth and glassy. Reef break with a fast sucking takeoff. Volume is a little less than my 6'2" VG and 6'6"V4
          but paddled well despite that. Caught waves well but conditions were such you could catch a wave on a picnic table
          Initial impressions was that I was on a V4 if I could close my eyes and advoid looking at the nose.
          Subtle differences was a little slower than both the V4 and the VG but it had that distinctive Tomo feel from the word go.
          Another diff was the pivot feel on the face was a little easier than the other 2, the tail I think being behind that.
          Rail to rail perhaps a little smoother and more flowing, more compared to the VG than the V4.
          Big roundhouse cutbacks also seemed a little more natural although that is a big statement when talking about the VG and V4.
          Can't be too specific here as I only had a few waves. Felt that I would be more comfortable on the V4 if the waves were too much bigger.
          Even the VG but probably because I am more used to it.
          Overall it overlaps both the others falling fairly well in the middle. Would like a few more waves on it but it will be a winner.
          Just my initial feelings and would not set them in concrete with just a few waves.
          Last edited by Denchy; 03-15-2014, 04:50 AM.

Comment

How much paddleability you reckon you lost on the lower volumed 6' nano compared to the vanguard and V4?
            I had a 6'er in my clutches with futures boxes but already have a 6'2" on order with fcs plugs so can use fcs fins (which I have heaps of) but it will be 2 ore more weeks to get it and I'm going on a road trip in 2 weeks.
            Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-15-2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Denchy
              Denchy commented
              Editing a comment
              It was noticeable, 4 litres but not much water moving around. At the bottom of my range and have surfed 6' VG without much drama at the same volume.
              You might be setting yourself up for short term gain, long term pain if you go the 6.0.
              I surf some long setups and prefer the extra volume for my shoulders.
              Decisions, decisions. The very reason I wont buy a nano. Too hard what to decide what I take out!

That's what I figured.
            The boys from the local shop let me take the 6'er home and I laid it down by some of the other boards and although I can ride the lower volumed 6'er I just know deep down I'd be hankering for a little bit more paddle power over performance in the long run.
            Theres no titles on the line and I'm not trying to impress anyone but myself so the 6'2" will be the one.

Comment

• ONeal
              ONeal commented
              Editing a comment
              Cuttlefish which shop has the nano or is it still at your place?

• cuttlefish
              cuttlefish commented
              Editing a comment
              Beachbeat at alexandra headland.
              Still there at closing time today when I dropped in there.
              I took it home and took it back into the shop.
              I've got a 6'2" on order which won't be here until mid April.

I've been eye balling that V4 since it came out.After watching a few videos it looks like the VANGUARD whips the tail quicker than the V4. Now with the arrival of the nano I really want to give it a go on the 5' 6" or 5'7". Is there a purpose on giving these two boards such a volume difference in one inch length?

Comment

Working...
            X