X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Vs Vanguard Vs Vader...

OK, I give in. I love Dan Mann's shapes, but I want to try one of Tomo's funky things. I was all set on a Nano, but now I'm confused. I have a 5'9" Uni that I love for decent waves, and a 5'6" DA for summer slop. I thought my mind was made up on getting a Nano even though it seems like it would overlap quite a bit with my Uni, but now I'm also considering a VG. Another option is to wait it out for a Vader...Anyone got any news about when they'll be coming out?

I'd love to hear the opinions from anyone who has one of these funky shapes. Also, a bit of help with sizing would be great - I'm 34, 6', 77kg, and in good shape. Thanks!

Goodfish. First get the VG, it is the quintessential of the Tomo feel. However the problem will be you will most likely end up selling your unibrow because it will never feel the same again. From there, a V4 for when the conditions are not so perfect such as lump and bump, strong offshores, square bottom takeoffs and lots of size and power. The v4 feels like it is refined from the Nano which has a slightly different feel but overlaps too much on the VG and V4. Vader? Don't wait, you owe yourself a Tomo now!! Size? Don't ask me, I have preference for more volume than most others.
    How do you rate the DA? I have one on order.

Comment

Hey Denchy, thanks for your input. Does the VG still work in less than perfect conditions? I don't want to splash the cash on a board that I won't use so much. That's what's pushing me more towards the Nano or the Vader. It seems they would get more play...Also, I just heard from the rep here that the Vader should be out in about 2 months! Now I've got some serious thinking to do...

I'm hoping I'll love the DA, but I've got to wait another month and a half before I get my hands on it! Apparently they're backed up at the factory...

Comment

That's exactly why I am looking at the Nano, I feel like I'll get more use out of it in So Cal than I would from the VG. Goodfish- have you tried any of the potatoes as a groveler? I have a SP and I LOVE it

Comment

Yeah, I had a a Baked Potato that I loved, but it's being replaced by the DA...

Comment

Vg still works in less than perfect conditions but may need a bit more work from the rider than compared to another model. From my understanding, and I may be wrong( my wife would strongly agree) the Vader is more or less a Vg with a diamond tail so it will have a similar ride range but altered transition and release. Don't discount the V4 from your choice. It seems to be a reworked Nano with a superior top end and performance. Bottom end I have had it down to 2 ft and it still works well but not as well as the Vg. IMO, the V4 is technically a better board than the Vg overall with similar feel but more controlled. The VG on the other hand has some rawness that is very addictive. The Nano I found was up there with the other 2 in my short experience with it but would rate it in 3rd position. 1st position I can't decide yet, still working that out. No doubt whatever Tomo you choose you will love it and will be a game changer

Comment

Thanks, Denchy. I'm not drawn to the V4 as much as I am the other Tomos. I guess it's down to a VG or a Vader...It just depends which one I get my hands on first...

Comment

I have both VG and Nano. I have to say since I got the Nano I havent ridden the VG. I feel the nano feels more like a normal shortboard and is a lot looser than the VG. That being said, the VG is my favourite board ever especially in clean good waves. The nano is basically a 1 board quiver up to a little over head though and if your unsure I would say a very safe bet.

Comment

The problem is that the more I read about the VG, the more I want one. But then I see a video of the Vader, and I want that! Then I read about the EVO, and...you get the idea. Seeing as I've never had a Tomo before, I'm thinking I should go for something very different than what I've got (DA and Uni). That would leave it down to a VG or a Vader...Does that make sense?

Comment

exactly how i'm seeing it too

Comment

well if it comes down to what you can get your hands on 1st I'd go with the VG. From all accounts (from amateurs to pro's) it's supposed to be an absolutely epic board. Size it a little bigger for cruising and easy paddling, or go small for epic performance.

Comment

Thanks, justo. I'm thinking 5'5" VG because it's closest in volume to my 5'9" Unibrow and 5'6" DA. Sound about right?

Comment

Could anyone who owns or has ridden both tell me which one catches waves easier out of the nano and the vg (at similar volume). I can't decide between a 5'8 in both.

Comment

• 360air
                            360air commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The Vanguard catches waves much better than the nano. The Vanguard has a lot less nose rocker then the nano.

Nelly I have a 5'10 RF Vanguard and have just got a 6'0 FST Nano. I got a slightly bigger Nano as I wanted it as a daily driver. I have only ridden Nano twice in crappy waves but it paddles and catches waves really easily. IMO Nano is a much better all round board. Still fast and easy to throw around but doesn't quite have X factor of Vanguard. Having said that as much as i love my Vanguard I can't see it getting much of a run now unless it's super clean with a bit of push. 48 yo 5'11 and 89 kg

Comment

OK, so now I'm back thinking about a Nano. I can't decide what size - 5'6" or 5'7". My Unibrow is 28.8L, and that works perfectly for me. But if I want the Nano to work well in smaller waves, would it be better to go for the 5'7" with 30.3L? I heard Daniel Thomson says to measure your MPH at about chin height, but I'm 6', so that would be even more micro. Anyway, I'd appreciate any help with this sizing! 34 yo, 6', good fitness, 77kg.

Comment

• Phill
                              Phill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm exactly your size. I'd go 5'6 but I don't like before over volumed.
                              The next gen MPH were chin height. Vanguard etc. The earlier MPH like the Nano where bridge of nose height ideally though I don't think it's as critical with these.
                              The shapes are so efficient I don't think you need extra volume.

• Goodfish
                              Goodfish commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the info, Phil. I know what you're saying about being over-volumed, but I want the Nano to work in the weaker stuff, too. That's pushing me towards a 5'7"...

• 360air
                              360air commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I chose the nano to ride as my performance board compared to the Vanguard and the V4. 27l nano vs 28.9L. It's way more fun than either the Vanguard or the V4.
                          Working...
                          X