Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were to get a unibrow which I was going to do before seeing nano I would have gone 6'4 just because I would use it in less than perfect waves as an every day board. As a more performance board I would get uni in 6'2. My vanguard and hellfire are around 36 lts which for me is more performance board volume. I got my nano as an every day board with a bit of extra volume for easier paddling. It has heaps of float and paddles as well as my 5'9 BP. Had it out in clean 2-3 ft waves today. Went really well no problems catching small ones. IMO goodfish 5'7 for easier paddling or 5'6 for a bit more performance. Hope that helps goodfish. 48yo 89kg fit.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Shaun. Yeah, I'm leaning towards a 5'7" because I want it to work on the smaller days.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I get you. One thing to bare in mind, the other mph type boards I've ridden in my normal to slightly above my standard volume have felt very buoyant and the one I have under volumes feels right. I'm not sure how the nano compares but it's something to bare in mind.
        The 5'7 could be good, I haven't seen one in th flesh, but the 5'6 felt great under arm.

• Goodfish
        Goodfish commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, Phill. So what would you say is your perfect volume? Mine is around 28L, but I've only really tested this is decent (shoulder+) waves...I'm thinking for anything under that I might need a bit more. What do you think?

Hello, I have a vanguard rapidfire 5.6 and I want to buy a fst. has anyone tried both vanguard technologies in 5.6? have you noticed any difference in buoyancy, weight, maneuverability etc or are negligible differences? Thanks

Comment

28l is usually my ideal average to good wave volume too. The 5'6 vanguard at 28.8l felt massive and I'm in thick wetsuits a lot of the time here. I'm riding one about 26.8l now that feels perfect. I have a tomo inspired step up that is 5'8 x 18.75 x 2.38. That's somewhere between 28 and 29l I believe and feels pretty chunky but is much easier than the vanguard for negotiating bigger line ups and rips and getting in to funky waves earlier. It's your call, but personally I couldn't fathom riding one of these kinds of boards with bloated dims. Unless you're looking for a cruisey ride, I think going too big will limit you. The rails are pretty full and the tail blocks very wide so if you go high volume it could be a struggle to surf it more aggressively and I'd have thought it'll limits its ability to hold in on the higher end.

Comment

• Matt_s
          Matt_s commented
          Editing a comment
          My custom is around 26-26.5 ltrs and defiantly surfs and paddles into waves like it has a ltrs or two more vol, I was worried about going so low but shouldn't have. I second what phill says and keep this in mind especially with vg/vader models

OK, so you think I should really go for the 5'6" Nano at 28L? What about a Vader? I was thinking a 5'5" would fit, but do you think I should go smaller still?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure what stock Vader dims are. If you're going custom I'd just go with daniel's suggestion.
          I think 5'6 nano is the call but if you really want that extra volume, go with your gut.

• Goodfish
          Goodfish commented
          Editing a comment
          OK. Thanks, Phill.

Felt up a Lft. Vader yesterday. Little more rocker and diamond tail. Hard to tell one end from the other at first glance. Rep said he hasn't taken the Vg out since getting the Vader. Superior ride and frothed over it. I gotta stop checking these things out, it's killing piggy bank. Finally got the Da monday but of course the swells going to be stacked to the horizon in time for the bells contest so the V4 will get a dusting and the Da will stay in the bag!

Comment

• powman
          powman commented
          Editing a comment
          do you have any sizing info Denchy?

Sounds like a sick board, Denchy. I'm about to put my order in! Did the rep have much to say about LFT? Is it built to last like FST? Also, how would I size a Vader? I heard chin height for a next gen Tomo board...

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          LFT is basically the same layup as RF but has HD foam managing the flex rather than carbon rods. Bottom and rails will still ding easier than FST.

• Goodfish
          Goodfish commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a shame. It looks amazing with that fat black stringer-looking thing in the middle. So, would you go FST for the Vader, Phill?

Sizing? The rocker wasn't noticeably greater, I think you'd have to lay the VG and Vader together to really see it but you may have to allow a bit more volume for it(?). Apart from that there isn't much difference (apart from the tail). I had to have a double take at first, thought i was looking at a LFT VG nose but it was the tail when he said it was the Vader. More like an ironing board than ever.
        It seemed a bit yellow so must have been around the block a few times( Aussie speak for used a lot), so maybe one of the prototypes. Didn't ask too much about it because i thought the less I know, the less likely I would buy one. Did ask about the Schi Phi though, really interested in that. Coming out next year so will be lining up for that number and fits in the time frame for my board replacement program, normally 2 a year. Have 2 new ones already this year and still have to replace the V4 when it folds again-maybe this weekend!
        Last edited by Denchy; 04-16-2014, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• powman
          powman commented
          Editing a comment
          sorry, meant to say any idea on volumes for the Vader (i.e will they be in between VG + Nano volumes.......hopefully!)

I don't think the Vader will be available in FST. At least for a while. The bottom contours are too complex. The Vader prototypes all seem to be HD deck skin and carbon strip on deck and bottom. Actual release could be LFT but we'll have to wait and see. I like the feel of FST but LFT/RF has a great weight.

Comment

Thanks, Phill. You're a Firewire Fan Bible! So is that carbon strip not part of the LFT for Vader? It's on all the pics and vids I've seen of the Vader so far...

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            It could well be. I know Tomo likes the carbon flex foil stuff on his XTR customs.

I would love an FST vader! Super keen for the release of this board i prefer the tail design. Will be really interesting to see how people go compared to vanguards...

It was a sad day today. Went to firewire in currumbin to finally grab a vanguard demo to try in the next few days decent surf (weve had a great run of surf and it looks to continue pumping for atleast a week :D). The nice fella there informs us that the front shop bit they have there is closing up and theyre just going to be distribution basically... So no more demos :(.

Got a look at the stock of demo boards which have all been bought and are going up to the sunnycoast, not sure what for, some great boards in that stack tho!

Cant help but think if idve made it there to demo a few last month couldve picked up a few bargains but ah well!

Hopefully wel get deom days now like in the US or theyll det up a new demo stock in currumbin. Its a real selling point and great to let people demo the boards before they buy. It was great how friendly and helpfu the guys in there always were and how easy it was to take a board for a few days and really get a feel for it!

Anyway. Keenly anticipating that vader.....

For anyone on the goldy looking for a new board, volcom board lab were selling off some firewires pretty reasonably priced, sadly no FST vanguard with futures or 501 timbertek baked potato. Had my eyes on the cheap FST vanguards and the fst sweet potato tho...

Comment

Phil, you were right about the Vader...it's not being released until Autumn/Winter.

Comment

• Goodfish
              Goodfish commented
              Editing a comment
              Should be around October/November. I was teased into thinking I could get one in May...

The rep here said the guys at the HQ are still doing R&D on it, and discussing what sizes to do it in, so no volume info.

I'm hoping for a 5'5" around 27L...haha!

• powman
              powman commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks for the info, yeah i was indicated May previously as well, that was the original plan, then that was revised to "still testing and perfecting it"

• Goodfish
              Goodfish commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn, the testing! They're just being selfish! I would be happy to test the board! Not sure about perfecting it though...haha!
          Working...
          X