X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Fin setup

Any bigger guys riding a Nano? If so what fin/setup are you riding? Quad/Tri? I've heard Clay Marzo's for quad setup is fun for smaller guys but the fins are on the smaller side for a big guy. Any recommendations?

Just picked up a set of MB2s, supposed to be chest/head high tomorrow cant wait to get this puppy in the agua!

Comment

Just picked up my 506 Nano today putting some TP1 thrusters in and surfing tommoz.....just under 2mtrs so will be a good test for it.

Comment

TP1 Futures. I tried my controllers for fun but didn't enjoy it at all.

Comment

• BFILK
          BFILK commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you like the TP1? Nano seems to want to be ridden as a Tri in my opinion

• esteeb.
          esteeb. commented
          Editing a comment
          @BFILK

I totally agree, I posted a thread asking about fins and saying the quads felt mis-matched on a Nano, but I picked up fins before anyone responded. I think it has to be thrusters -- or maybe a 5-fin setup in bigger, steeper swell -- but I didn't dig the quad feel and I usually prefer a quad setup.

• BFILK
          BFILK commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya I normally ride a quad as well, I love the big rear fin on the MB2's, tons of hold no prob w/tail sliding out. I took the nano out in 4-5 ft (shoulder/head high) yesterday and the thing blew my mind. The feeling when you really pick up speed with the planning hull gave a sensation under foot that I've never gotten before. Super addicting. I was also able to catch some smaller junk waves about 2.5-3 ft that I never would've expected the nano to perform in. The thing paddles like a dream too, haven't tried a vg but this thing is off the charts.

Am2 Thruster Works Great

Comment

Just hit a glassy shoulder/head high session using the MB2 and the nano rocked. So much speed what a sick board. And for those late drop ins? Well just when you think that big, beautiful nose is finally going to betray you, disappear into the water and drag you to davvy jones locker it comes thru clutch making impossible drops possible. Loving this Thing!

Comment

Anyone used Rasta quads (Futures) yet?

Comment

• Fazza
              Fazza commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a set of Rasa Quads have not tried them in the Nano yet...only had 2 surfs on the Nano with TP1 Futures Thrusters really enjoyed those fins in that board.

Will try a couple of quad sets after a few more surfs as a thruster.

The Nano is really good fun easy surfing board. Really smooth/silky to turn kind of like the difference between a square tail and the smoothness of a round tail.
              Last edited by Fazza; 04-09-2014, 05:53 AM.

• BFILK
              BFILK commented
              Editing a comment
              Fazza- any feedback on the quad?

• Fazza
              Fazza commented
              Editing a comment
              BFILK.......only tried some Shapers AP01 Quads in the board for the last couple of surfs. I found the board to lack the drive feeling i was getting out of the Futures TP1 thrusters. Admittedly it was a smallish onshore puss day so that was probably not a good test for it will probably need to try again on a better day....jury still out

Interesting box placement on the Nano. Those quad rears are so close together. People like a different foil on the rears when they're placed like that?

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              80/20, 70/30 or 50/50 foil I wouldn't go flat sided with that placement.

• esteeb.
              esteeb. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, the box placement is what threw me off with a quad set. I gave it a whirl, but it almost looks like it's a 3 or 5, not a quad.

Do you guys feel the nano needs a big fin like Hedgey suggests in the Surfing Life board test? I'm 190+lb and the shop suggested Jordy larges for the 5'9 I have on order but they're a pretty big fin. Also looking at the TP1's and MB2's. Thanks.

Comment

Toobz, I put MB2 Large's in mine (220lbs) and have never taken them out. Plenty of speed and maneuverability, no issues w/tail slide. That being said, I have not heard as much in terms of tail sliding on the Nano as you do on the VG. The Center fin on my MB2 is gigantic, you can see it in my profile pic.

Comment

I grabbed a Tri set of Future medium Rob Machado fins. They have the V2 foil. I'll let you all know how they work as soon as the wind dies down in Southern Calif. The flex is supposed to be somewhere between the Blackstix and Techflex..

Comment

• BFILK
                  BFILK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Waxer- did the Machado's see some wave time? anything good/bad to report?

Just got news that I should have mine in close to a week. I'm going to play with V2s, K3s, and some griffin g10 fins. Full report coming soon...

Comment

• BFILK
                  BFILK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking forward to your report, enjoy the board it's legit

I'm thinking of giving the Rusty Blackstix a go for smaller days, anyone have any Nano experience w/these guys?

Comment

• Peterleo
                  Peterleo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The rusty blackstix are amazing on the hellfire and vg these fins were made to sniff out any barrel and put you deeeeeeep into them. Never any slide in them and they bite onto the face quicker than any other futures fin. Amazing acceleration on the front foot and really slows down off the back foot to get into the barrel and the concaves hold onto the wave face.

I got to test the 5'6 nano (led me to order the 5'4"), I am a 5'8 165 pounder and after seeing the board bibles test and seeing that big tail, I went with the Accelerator FCS 2 fins. (for my test)
                Just so you know, those are pretty much the same as the g6 or m6 or whatever, a medium-large template, between the m5- m7, in other words, big for me (k.1, k.3/ m5's usually)

Now, the 5'6 was about two liters more than my performance volume, but i did manage to get a real good feel for it, getting in all the turns I could do, short and long arc, floaters, tubes b/s and frontside and even a fs air (something I rarely do, but I had that perfect jetty wedge coming at me)

If I were to keep that bigger nano, I wouldn't change fins I don't think-

I usually have a tough time with bigger fins, I feel more prone to hanging up with them in general, I am pretty coiled to strike and lean way forward on the drops and that sudden stall can throw me off.
                The nano, however, totally negated that., that thing is planing so well as it is, that I actually preferred the bigger fin set up and see why the board bible testers were saying to use a larger fin.

I am looking forward to my 5'4, I'll probably just rock the accelerators in there too, and once I get the thing wired, I might pop in a looser set

Comment

BFILK, I've now got two great days of surfing on the new mid size Machados. I really like them. On Sunday I was just south of Uppers due to a contest. The only guys out were dads waiting for their kid's heats to be over. 3 hours of great surf in everything from 6-8ft faces to inside 3-5 foot faces. The Machados have more flex and have the V2 foil on them compared to the flat faced Clay Marzo medium sized stiff Techflex fins. The Machodos never spun out even on the biggest bottom turns and for me as an intermediate surfer they have just a bit more useable drive and control. The flex just smoothed things out for me a bit. This morning I surfed 3-5 foot offshore cleaned up perfection. The fins and the board just make surfing so much more fun for me! I think I've found the correct set up for my level of surfing at the moment...

Comment

• BFILK
                    BFILK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Waxer- how much do you weigh using the M fins? I'm looking at trying the Rusty Black Stix (only ones in Large) to get that V2 feel on smaller stuff. This week has been great w/the heat and offshore flow.

• Waxer
                    Waxer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    168 pounds, 5'10
                Working...
                X