Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the nano with Kinetic racing X4 quad set. Felt just as good as the thruster set (TP1) I've been using. Then used the TP1 fronts with Kinetic racing quad rears in excellent 3' A frame beachbreaks. http://www.finshop.com.au/Products?P...38&cmd=Display Even better again. Especially in cutbacks. Have to surf them again but could be projecting so much that the re-entries may not be as vertical as with the TP1s as thrusters or the X4 quads. Ultimately all three fin sets have felt great and not a massive amount of difference like on some boards.

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      Could be similar to the vanguard in that respect. I've tried maybe 5 or so different sets and all have felt excellent with just slight differences in turning arcs and release but definitely not as drastic as in other boards.

Tried the FCS V2 set (k2.1s) as a quad and didn't like it as much as the same thruster set. Felt slower and tracky. All of my other quads have the fins on the rail so to me this one is better as a thruster.

Comment

I picked up a set of EA Blackstix over the weekend and gave em a go yesterday. The fins are a smaller template than I'd normally go with (M) but I was looking to experiment for a setup in smaller/crumbly surf (waist+). The goal was to get a little skatey/loose as I've found it a bit tough to get practice hacks on the MB2s as they hold in so well. I actually really enjoyed the Blackstix as I was able to generate a bit more speed in the mush than w/the MB2 and getting vertical was noticeably easier as well, top turns/hacks took less effort. Later in the session a few chest/shoulder high sets came in and I really noticed how loose the Blackstix were vs the MB2s on the faster/steeper drops. I def recommend you give this setup a go for those smaller days when you might grab a diff board.

Comment

• Peterleo
        Peterleo commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved these until I tried the rusty blackstix

Originally posted by BFILK View Post
      I picked up a set of EA Blackstix over the weekend and gave em a go yesterday. The fins are a smaller template than I'd normally go with (M) but I was looking to experiment for a setup in smaller/crumbly surf (waist+). The goal was to get a little skatey/loose as I've found it a bit tough to get practice hacks on the MB2s as they hold in so well. I actually really enjoyed the Blackstix as I was able to generate a bit more speed in the mush than w/the MB2 and getting vertical was noticeably easier as well, top turns/hacks took less effort. Later in the session a few chest/shoulder high sets came in and I really noticed how loose the Blackstix were vs the MB2s on the faster/steeper drops. I def recommend you give this setup a go for those smaller days when you might grab a diff board.
      Nice, I was just wondering about those exact fins on this setup....How much do you weigh?

Comment

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        Im 215-220

Hi guys, has anyone tried MR TFX twin and trailer fins on the Nano or would they not work on this? I used to have them on a Lost RNF and they were fantastic.. Figure they would give tons of hold but still be pretty loose.

Comment

Not that they wouldn't work but figure a fin with that much area is unecessary.
        The MR TFX is a fin you use to attain drive.
        The nano has the concave/straight rail combo as its engine room already.

Comment

good stuff! i actually love this board with your go to thruster! goooooooood stuff.....

Comment

Anyone tried Futures WCT's?
            Or Stretch sf4?
            Last edited by clutch; 06-01-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

only had a couple of surfs on a 5'9" Nano and a 5'10" nano so far in marginal waves - great board though so far - initially rode with the MB2's but have gone to the Blackstix FEA as its only been small beach break stuff so far - definitely much better with the medium fins in thruster - havent tried quad yet.

Comment

hey clutch, both are super fun fins. relatively upright, nice and playful. love the stretch as quads and the WCTs a thrusters. Think smaller, more playful days. Can't go wrong.

Comment

Sold my baked potato the other day (What was I thinking? *@*#) and now trying to figure out how to make my nano grovel better. I know I said in a post above that the nano doesn't need MR sized twin fins as it's planshape and concave help supply the drive too BUT for small waves only I'm going to put in some Futures controllers fronts without the rears and see what happens.
                  If it even wants to turn at all I may then put a normal quad trailer in the rear thruster box to see what happens.
                  After all I seem to recall early mphs running hatchet twin fins and quads and lets not forget the lineage derived from mini-simmons/fishes so maybe just maybe it may work ok in the small stuff where maximum drive is called for.

Comment

To see what I'm on about scroll down on these links to the pics.
                    http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/ubb...714731&page=16
                    And...
                    http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/ubb...1714731&page=3

Comment

Took my 5'9" Nano for its first surf in 4-5ft sucky, clean low tide today. I had the Rusty Black Stix in as recommended for that size board and it felt like it was on train tracks!. I have a set of WCT to try next time.

Comment

• Peterleo
                        Peterleo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Try the rustys in barreling point breaks

Hey Goanna, is it definitely the Rusty Black Stix (L) it recommends? The sticker on my 5'9 recommended EA Black Stix (M) for 5'5-5'10. Just curious as I'm thinking of getting a set of EA's for small weak days but I am hesitant as they're smaller than I usually use. So far the Jordy L are working great in stomach high and above.

Comment

• BFILK
                        BFILK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I use the EA blackstix for smaller days, very playful and easy to get vertical. I'm 6'4/215 and have no issues on them you'll be fine.

• Toobz
                        Toobz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds like exactly what I'm after, thanks BFILK.
                        Last edited by Toobz; 06-09-2014, 04:31 PM.

• Goanna
                        Goanna commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You're right Toobz - it did say EA Black Stix (m)

Thruster set up is working really good. FCS 2 with med size AM's are holding good off the bottom with exceptional release off the top.

Comment

Working...
                      X