X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5' 5" Nano Review- Santa Cruz

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone to helping build this forum with good feedback about their experiences! Since I have benefited from all of you help I want to contribute in my own way as well. I'm starting this thread so people can ask me about my experience with the Nano in the hope that they too can make the best decision for them.

I have been riding Firewire boards for about the last year bouncing back and forth between my 5'6" Vangard and 5'10' V4. After spending hundreds of hours on them I decided that I think both are just a bit too big for how I want to ride them but I do love that they catch waves and perform well most of the time. So when the Nano was due to come out I put my order in and waited for 2 months and yesterday I got my new board. Thanks Billabong- Santa Cruz

I think I have read every post on the "Nano" that this board has. So many opinions, thoughts and some feedback from riders that are looking to ride this board as a performance board.

So I went ahead and made the decision to drop down a size in volume to get the most out of the Tomo design, and push my comfort zone. In addition I didn't want overlap in deciding which board to ride. Since I have all three boards when I set them out to look at them all together the differences were very apparent. The first most obvious thing is the smooth design, no hard edges, weird channels and other gimmicks.

The new FCS 2 fin set up is way better not just because they pop in and out for a quick changes but they are much stiffer in the box that the old system. I had been a Future Fin guy too!

So far I have had only two surfs on this board with about 20 waves ridden. Generally the waves have been waist to chest high and soft, really not what I planned on ridding this board in. I will say that I am happy with the board so far. If I was to continue to ride this board in soft point break waves I would have gone with a bit more volume, right now I'm at 27L I would have gone with something close to 29L for me which is my normal range.

The surf should be building next week and I will have some more feedback then. But if you have any questions fire away!

-Anthony

Let me know whether you like the vanguard or nano more and why - I am in the same position somewhat - have a 5'11 VG and want to either get a 5'9 VG or a 5'10 nano - look forward to hearing - I have also combed through all the nano comments on the web. Irode the nano at a firewire demo and liked it but it was much smaller than what I normally ride (31 liters instead of 35-37 liters) and I am wondering if the responsiveness of the nano was due to the small size board they had available or it is just a really awesome board. Nano seemed more neutral to me than the back footed VG - meaning it felt a little more stable under the foot then the VG - but I only road it one time. It actually paddled somewhat ok at the small size which surprised me.

Comment

Nice looking Tomo quiver, 360! I'm looking at getting a Vader and/or a Nano. I haven't had a Tomo before, but do you suggest that Tomo's MPHs can be ridden at a lower volume than you would normally ride? For example, my other boards (Uni and DA) have around 28L, so I guess I would go for a 5'6 Nano and same for a Vader. Do you think I could drop down a rung on the volume scale, or just stick with what I know?

Comment

• aurfalien
        aurfalien commented
        Editing a comment
        Hoping Core will chime in, he loves the VG and should be able to qualify weather Tomos can be ridden smaller. However I think ppl have talked about this on the forum and it seems its meant to go smaller. So for example my performance volume is 32 and my top would be 36 before feeling corky, so I'm guessing a Tomo at like 28ish?

• iggy
        iggy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah just make sure not too go too small. These boards sure are fast,but perform better in faster better waves. I did go also smaller than usual and was pretty surprised when put mine in the water. I usually ride 30lts boards and my vanguard is 28l

Originally posted by Goodfish View Post
      Nice looking Tomo quiver, 360! I'm looking at getting a Vader and/or a Nano. I haven't had a Tomo before, but do you suggest that Tomo's MPHs can be ridden at a lower volume than you would normally ride? For example, my other boards (Uni and DA) have around 28L, so I guess I would go for a 5'6 Nano and same for a Vader. Do you think I could drop down a rung on the volume scale, or just stick with what I know?
      I was really lucky with getting my first 2 Tomo boards as I bought them from my a friend. They were a bit used but got to ride them first! I got the VG first and then the V4 as my step up.

I would say for sure you could ride the Tomo MPH at a lower volume than almost any other board. Even between the Nano and the VG the entry rocker on the Nano big time noticeable,. Plus the Nano has no real concave until about the last 1/2 for the board where it is about 2 or 3mm deep.The concave on VG runs down most of the board making the board lift really quick.

My 5'6" VG feels much bigger than my 5'5" Nano riding, paddling, walking in the wind lol. I would say if you went a bit larger with the Nano it would still work well, if you go to big with the VG it will have way to much drive vs being able to whip it in turns quickly. If we were racing NASCAR we would be talking understeer vs oversteer.. - Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by garyandemily View Post
        Let me know whether you like the vanguard or nano more and why - I am in the same position somewhat - have a 5'11 VG and want to either get a 5'9 VG or a 5'10 nano - look forward to hearing - I have also combed through all the nano comments on the web. Irode the nano at a firewire demo and liked it but it was much smaller than what I normally ride (31 liters instead of 35-37 liters) and I am wondering if the responsiveness of the nano was due to the small size board they had available or it is just a really awesome board. Nano seemed more neutral to me than the back footed VG - meaning it felt a little more stable under the foot then the VG - but I only road it one time. It actually paddled somewhat ok at the small size which surprised me.
        I'm not sure I'm ready to say which board I like better yet. You are right the Nano is much forgiving for a front foot surfer like us, From my experience it has a bigger sweet spot on the tail than the VG. I just used a tail pad with an arch bar /tail block to train my foot to land over the rear fin on all my Tomo boards.

Comment

The vg you definetley ride at or preferably just below your performance board.. The v4 i'm flip flopping over... Some days small feels right.. Usually in clean waves.. Even huge-ish surf.. Other days i feel i need it up a notch to throw my weight into turns.. So my performance boards would run from 28 to 30lts these days depending on design and use.. So vg at bottom end and v4 would work better day to day at the top end.. But definetely not up at hybrid volumes.. I have not ridden the nano so would be guessing its at that bottom end.. Lets here from those who have ridden it... I still say a vg and a stepped up v4 (or 2 or 3 !!) would have you shredding anything worth riding..!!

Comment

how does the nano go on your backhand

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
              how does the nano go on your backhand
              I've been surfing in Pleasure Point the last 3 days and haven't gone left yet. With the tail so narrow I wouldn't expect any issues. The 5'5" Nano feels really small compared to my 5"6" Vanguard so it fits in the pocket much better and so far I have not dug the nose which was sometimes and issue with the VG. -Anthony

Comment

how much do you weigh? what fins did you run so far?

Comment

I weigh 153 lbs & 5'11" tall Thruster set up using AM stiff fcs2 fins. The new fcs2 are much better. I will ride the same fins next week but as a quad and let you know how that works.

Comment

360, what do you think of the V4? I have a Nano and am looking at a VG/V4, if you could only grab one to keep w/ a Nano, what would you go with?

Comment

[QUOTE=BFILK;n43951]360, what do you think of the V4? I have a Nano and am looking at a VG/V4, if you could only grab one to keep w/ a Nano, what would you go with?[/QUOTE

For me I would keep my 5'5" nano and my 5'10" V4 and not keep my 5'6" Vanguard. I would like to try a 5'3" VG and a 5'6" Nano that might be a pair that I would really like after riding the ones I have. I will have to wait for a demo day to see if I can try one of those.

After 7 strait sessions on the Nano i can say for me it is the most fun and the most work of the 3 boards VG, V4, Nano. To be fair the Nano is 2L smaller and has way more rocker so I'm not surprised.

I posted two photos this should show you that entry rocker differences between the 5'6" VG and the 5"5" Nano. I do have to give a full effort to get into waves with the smaller Nano. If you were to get a Nano to cruise on i would get a Nano 1 size up bigger than the VG or the V4. The Nano does much better in chop and less than perfect conditions than either the V4 or the VG for me.

-Anthony

Comment

• BFILK
                        BFILK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's some great advice and good pics, thanks dude! I ended up going w/a nano 1 size bigger than my preferred volume (6'4) so I am looking at a 6'6 V4 or 6'2 VG, which seems to vibe with what you are recommending. Is your V4 RF? I have the option to get it in RF for a good deal, but I'm pretty hesitant to go non-FST for the board I'm looking to ride in big surf.

Bfilk, i ride r/f in slabs.... No problem

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I had finger print indentations in my rf vanguard and spitfire after a couple of months from duck diving. For me, that means the lamination schedule on the bottom is too light... I've never done that to another board, FST, PUPE or EPS/Epoxy.
                        RF surfs great but I think they need 4oz S glass on the bottom minimum, if not 6oz.
                        Sure if would stiffen them up slightly but there would be less cracking and buckling.

• 360air
                        360air commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I had finger print indentations in my rf vanguard and spitfire after a couple of months from duck diving. For me, that means the lamination schedule on the bottom is too light... I've never done that to another board, FST, PUPE or EPS/Epoxy.
                        RF surfs great but I think they need 4oz S glass on the bottom minimum, if not 6oz.
                        Sure if would stiffen them up slightly but there would be less cracking and buckling.

Both of my boards with Rapid Fire have the same"finger print indentations" on the bottom. I didn't think much of it but since you mentioned it I thought I would comment as well.

• 360air
                        360air commented
                        Editing a comment

Both of my boards with Rapid Fire have the same"finger print indentations" on the bottom. I didn't think much of it but since you mentioned it I thought I would comment as well.

Thanks Core, I might rethink this RF V4

Comment

• michaels39
                        michaels39 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey BFILK you ride a 6'4"!? How big are you?

• BFILK
                        BFILK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm 6'4 220ish without a wetsuit, pref vol is 42/43. Got a killer deal on the 6'4 Nano and it ended up being an awesome purchase. Now I'm looking to add a V4 in the 42L for more critical waves.

Originally posted by 360air View Post

I was really lucky with getting my first 2 Tomo boards as I bought them from my a friend. They were a bit used but got to ride them first! I got the VG first and then the V4 as my step up.

I would say for sure you could ride the Tomo MPH at a lower volume than almost any other board. Even between the Nano and the VG the entry rocker on the Nano big time noticeable,. Plus the Nano has no real concave until about the last 1/2 for the board where it is about 2 or 3mm deep.The concave on VG runs down most of the board making the board lift really quick.

My 5'6" VG feels much bigger than my 5'5" Nano riding, paddling, walking in the wind lol. I would say if you went a bit larger with the Nano it would still work well, if you go to big with the VG it will have way to much drive vs being able to whip it in turns quickly. If we were racing NASCAR we would be talking understeer vs oversteer.. - Anthony
                      360, how big are you? I'm 6ft and 77kg, and I was thinking a 5'6" Nano 'cos it's around the same volume as my other boards. Do you think I should go lower?

Comment

• 360air
                        360air commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Goodfish,

I'm 5'10" 150lbs (68kg) but have to surf in cold water year round. My 5'5" Nano is the board I used for max performance in waist to a bit overhead surf which is very common in Santa Cruz. You have 20 lbs on me and I still wonder if the 5'6" might be better for me, I would rec that you get the 5'7".

• Fazza
                        Fazza commented
                        Editing a comment

I weigh the same as you and i went with the 5'6 Nano. I am glad i did still really easy to turn, paddles into waves with ease and takes a nice drop. I feel a lot more confident paddling the Nano into decent waves than i did on my 5'5 VG.
                    Working...
                    X