X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'0 Nano Review :-)

Just bought and surfed a 6'0 FST Nano as a Tri with some Clay Marzo fins. I'm 53 years young, 5'10, 168 and surf 2-3 times per week at a point break in Southern Calif. This past year I was riding a 6'2 and 6'4 Hellfire as a quad. Also had a 5'6 Sweet Potato. I sold them and bought a 7'2 Von Sol Shadow and have been riding it as a quad with a numbster. The Von Sol has been great for catching waves big and small and making large drawn out turns or just pumping down the line on point break walls or in large open water peak type waves at Sunset Cliffs at Point Loma Calif. The board allows me to surf any sized wave I wanted to but it has it's drawbacks...
    Decided I needed something to make life more interesting so I bought a Nano! I wanted to do more top to bottom style surfing and have the opportunity to advance in my surfing skills.
    So at 6:30 am, I surfed 2 hours worth of offshore 3-5+ high tide rollers that would wall up and give you crazy long shoulder rides. The inside where I surfed also gets pretty steep and powerful as well. So it gave me the opportunity to really try the board out in a number of different situations.
    The paddle ability of the board was o.k., not great but the board floated me well and I was able to handle the large amount of water and current. It was better than the 6'4 hellfire and better than the 5'6 Sweet Potato because I could duck dive the board really well and the board didn't get hung up paddling into waves at the lip like the SP could. Does the Von Sol paddle better? Yes, but it's a bitch to duck dive and doesn't turn like this board does..The Nano is a breeze to duck dive even at 39liters. Takeoffs on the Nano are really simple! The board gives you confidence to just take off at the peak and drop in. I never felt like it was going to pearl! I did miss a few waves when I didn't wait for the peak. There isn't a lot of paddle glide so don't think you're going to out catch a long board rider.. The ride is so different from a fish, hybrid or regular HPSB.. Yes if the wave is big enough you can just go straight and cruise along the top of the shoulder/wall but eventually the board just wants to start turning or going rail to rail and thats when the fun begins :-) Even though I went big for this design, it Feels Small once you stand up and start pumping and turning. Could I have gone smaller? Honestly, paddling would have been a bummer and it would have felt a bit to squirrelly for me as a intermediate surfer. I could have gone bigger but I don't think the paddling would have been that much better and it would have started to feel to corky. The speed, turning and going rail to rail is when this board starts to really get fun. The harder you pump and the more on the rails you surf this board the better it feels! Just put your weight on the tail and go! The board really wants you to just crank it up!!! It's so fun!! It holds on the face so well... I was able to turn it when ever or where ever I wanted to and if you slowed down to much or got out of rhythm, just relax, point the board down the line and start pumping and before you know it you've done more turns and gone further than you could ever do on another board. Do I like this board? YES! If the wind holds, I'm going back out for another two hours at glass off!

Yeeeeew love the review and loving my Nano too

Comment

I surfed the Nano again yesterday in 4-6 ft. afternoon surf with some bump on the water due to wind. The waves were strong but there was a bit less water and current. I found a better balance point on the board for paddling. I almost feel on this board as if I'm just swimming laps in a pool so I'm going to change my comment about padding around the line-up to Good. I surfed another 2 1/2 hours and found that the board just inspires confidence :-) Never dug a rail once and ripped some of the longest rides ever. The interesting deal with this board is that you control your speed, often I'm on boards that are really fast but you're holding on missing opportunities to make turns or flying by sections but with this board, you can take the speed from the initial drop and bottom turn and then control it. Plus you can always add to your speed when you need it with very little effort. This Nano is a really fun board...

Comment

Nice review. Thanks Waxer.

Comment

Ya Waxer! That's a great way to put it, "inspires confidence". I am taking mine out today in chest high, hoping the wind holds back

Comment

Waxer I have the 55 Nano and weigh 150lbs. Every detail interview is exactly my experience as well. Aside from the fact it doesn't paddle all that well the board is absolute magic under your feet. I use the FCS 2 AM fins med set up as a thruster.

Comment

• BFILK
              BFILK commented
              Editing a comment
              360, do you mean it doesn't paddle into waves as easily as a VG/V4? Because I find it paddles in the lineup pretty darn well, I do notice I have to work a lot to get into a wave tho, even at the slightly bigger vol than my preferred.

• 360air
              360air commented
              Editing a comment
              BFILK- I ride my Nano smaller than the VG and V4 2L less. I have to work harder to catch waves but I would not say my wave count has dropped, I just have had to work harder. You ride your Nano bigger - I ride mine smaller but we both notice it pushes water a bit more- which I suspect it is due to the extra rocker in the Nano.

• BFILK
              BFILK commented
              Editing a comment
              I forgot you ride it smaller, yes that 2L will def be a diff and I agree on the rocker. I also find I need to be further up the board than seems normal based on the nose when paddling the lineup. There's still something weird about seeing that shape in front of you, prob the way VG riders feel looking at that point.

Went out yesterday in some choppier conditions, about chest/head high and a bit walled. I was concerned given the conditions as to how the board would perform due to the bumpy texture. I was shocked how well I was able to paddle thru the chop and still pull into some waves where the bottom would occasionally drop out or reform requiring me to air drop a foot or two. The Nano made those no problem and I was able to maintain speed thru the chop/air drops to still make sections. From what I've read, there is no way the VG/V4 would've performed in these conditions like the Nano did and I'm impressed. I continue to see this board as being able to ride anything from Thigh high to Head high, regardless of the conditions. It is a great all around board, and my favorite to date.

Comment

• 360air
              360air commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea, the VG in choppy conditions is a ton of work and not very fun. The V4 is a bit better but not much.

360air, I changed my thoughts on the paddle ability after my second outing on the board. First, I was used to a 7'2 50 plus litre mid size board. Second, once I moved just a bit forward on the board and relaxed, it negated the rocker issue and the paddle speed picked up. Still, you must be at or near the wave peak to pick up a wave but the board is so easy to pop up on that you don't have to worry about a late take off... It looks like you'll be getting some nice waves in Northern Calif. this weekend. I hope the wind holds up!

Comment

• 360air
              360air commented
              Editing a comment
              Waxer,

I notice that I'm having a bit of trouble with the sweet spot in paddling this little board. Your right about having to cheat up farther than you think but on my thin Nano there is a fine line between just right and oh so wrong lol. With a bit more volume I don't think I would have this problem. Other than that it is super fun.

Waxer, could you speak to how the Nano compares with the Hellfire? Also, did you ever consider the Vangaurd?

Comment

hwork50,
              I had both a 6'2 and 6'4 Hellfire and rode them both as a quad. see post above for my specs.
              Although the 6'0 Nano has almost 5 more liters than the 6'4 hellfire, I can duck dive the board so much easier. I'd say it paddles somewhere between the 6'2 and 6'4 however the Nano does not get caught up on the lip very often. I also ride the Nano as a Tri and it seems faster than both the 6'2 and 6'4 yet I can control it better because i'm riding it as a Tri. The board also gives me way more confidence dropping in than the hellfire. I think you'd get the control I'm talking about on the Nano if I dropped to the thinner 6' Hellfire but then the paddle would become a major issue. The ride is different than the Hellfire. Although you ride both boards off the tail, the Nano just takes off as soon as you stand up. I don't miss to many sections anymore and when you pump it really moves. This board is not a real glider, you've got to keep working or it will stall a bit. But if you put in just a little effort, it really moves. I have yet to have it break lose on a bottom turn. It just whips you through. Yesterday, I was riding 4-5 foot beach break with some air drops and it just held..... It's really the best board I've ever had!
              I didn't get the VG just because I can't believe it would paddle as well or be as forgiving as the nano which has a much mellower shape and concaves than the VG. I would like to try one though!

Comment

Waxer,

So good to hear! I am so torn about which board to get as I am struggling between the Nano and the VG. Do you think the 5'10" Nano would have been a better choice? I ride a 6'0" spitfire and it has plenty of float, but the 6'2" Hellfire is a low on the volume calculator for me. What size do you think would be good for me as I am 6'3" 190. I am going to try a VG this week and ride it for 2-3 days.

I will have to go check out the Nano as I think it is an insane board as I always dreamed of a round nose shortboard and now it is a reality.

Brent

Comment

I've been surfing a 5'6 Nano for a few months and found it paddled really well but sometimes i felt i could do with a bit more. I then got a 5'7 Nano and even though it is a bit wider and thicker and approx 2L more volume it certainly didn't feel boaty to me holding it compared to the 5'6. It feels slightly better to paddle around the lineup and paddling into waves it does seem to get up and plane a little earlier, still turns easily and but definitely does not feel chunky compared to the 5'6......my favourite board to surf.

Comment

Hey everyone, I have been research and following this forum but haven't quite found the info im after. I currently have a BP and a CC. The chubby I have is the 5'10, 28l. I am going to buy a nano as my everyday board and travel board. I think it would complement my other boards and deliver something else. Anyway, I am unsure of the size. I am 70 odd kg, about 5'9 and int. I know the 5'6 is the same buoyancy as my CC but understand that the 5'5 whilst having less foam (27l) it's under the right places. So 5'6 could be safe, but would the 5'5 be more suitable? Many ppl so I've read are on the 5'6 though not many on the 5'5. If anyone has some experience in this sizes I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Comment

Hey Pete,

It sounds like we ride about the same sized boards and I will say that I am so happy with the 506 Nano. I also ride the 510 CC and it works well, and when i got on the 506 Nano, i knew it was the right board for me just where it fit in volume wise. remember going short is good, but a little rail is also worthwhile when you find yourself driving and carving a pocket...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yeah my gut says the 5'6, OK sounds good. Means I can stop thinking and start planning. Do you still use your cc? Mine is quite new still, don't want to have to stop pulling it out. Don't think I will though, it's a great board.

Comment

Working...
                        X