Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hwork50, ride the VG you may find it works great for you. It came after the Nano which Tomo has been refining for a few years... The only thing I'm hearing is that the Nano paddles better in chop and fat conditions. Yet they overlap quite a bit in terms of wave size although again I'm reading that the Nano can handle bigger waves... I'm sure there are some threads here by guys who ride both...Depending on your ability, the extra size doesn't really seem to harm you. I'm really oversized on my 6'0 yet it's still the best board I've ever ridden in 8 years of surfing. I'm not getting any younger so the extra paddle is helpful. I'd rather ride the board rather than sit in the lineup talking about it!

Comment

I ride the 5'5" Nano in FST but I've only had it out in tiny conditions 1-2ft max so haven't really had the opportunity to get it out in some better size yet. But this weekend looks promising for Sydney, so I'm sure I'll have a better review for all those interested soon...stay tuned!

Comment

Waxer, I have been demoing my friends VG my last 2 surfs and it has been really fun. I wish I had time to surf it in some better waves to see what it can do. So far the 5'10" I have been surfing has been really fun and super fast as it gets up and goes.

Comment

Had my first surf on the Nano yesterday, wow what a board! Conditions were stomach to head high and offshore. First 2 waves I was a bit wobbly and the board felt really loose but after that things seemed to click. Board goes vert so easy and just maintains speed everywhere. I thought it might have been all in my head until an older guy I see out there who rips paddled over and told me I was killing it. Interesting to note it's identical volume to my Hypto Krypto but feels like much less. I'm 6'1 190 on the 5'9 for reference and used Jordy larges. Can't wait to get on it again. Also this is my first Firewire and I have to say the FST construction feels super solid.

Comment

yeah Pete, so here is my whole thing. To me, the difficulty with choosing something like the Vanguard or the CC is one is a traditional shape and one is kind of a performance-like and progressive post modern redefinition of the length-to-volume ratio. This means that despite being good in similar conditions, they will ride differently. Personally I will always make sure i keep a traditional quiver (Alternator, CC, Double Agent) and a Tomo quiver (Vanguard, Nano, V4). I am certainly not saying you should have all 6, but when its shoulder high and fun, but i am not sure exactly how the wave is breaking, I am bringing a Tomo and a traditional board because they do things differently.

So ultimately that is a long way of saying that if you have a Chubby and a Nano, you'll find reason to ride both...

Comment

I've been riding my 6'0 Nano fst 2-3 times per week at 53 years young, 5'10, 168 since my first post above in April. I'm sure you've all been waiting for this post ;-) Should I now go smaller?? Love the board, love the paddle but....we all know when over volumed, there are those times when you must paddle in early or you get hung up on the lip of the wave when dropping in because you're not in the wave, your floating on top due to the extra volume... So, what if I drop to the 5'10 Nano. It's three 1/2 liters less in volume thinner and less wide. My performance on the wave should go up and I would think the wave catching should be easier as well? The paddle will be harder around the line up.... Thoughts???

Comment

Well, while I can't speak for the Nano, I did downsize my BP to the next size down and bayam, performance. And it wasn't much diff to paddle either. I'm 45 years old and underestimated my paddling, sounds like you could be doing the same?

Comment

I sold my 6'0 Nano and I grabbed a 5'10..I wasn't able to track down an FST model with Futures so I bought the LFT model. Ran out to the break and jumped in and surfed for a couple of hours in 1-3 foot junky wind swell. I'm using the same Macahado fins... No problem with the paddle with the smaller board....The wave catching actually seemed easier. As soon as the wave peaked, with just a minimal amount of paddle the board would just take off. It was much easier than the 6'0 Nano. Once I stood the ride was even better than the 6'0... The new board feels like it's more under my feet. I'm able to find a rhythm quicker even on a smaller wave. I can't wait to try it in some better waves!!

Comment

good stuff waxer!

Comment

Working...
                    X