Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get my head around the Nano sizes, help!

This one is a tricky one; the preferred sizes seem to be all over the place. There an inmate here that's 150lbs and loving a 5'5", another 150lbs guy is loving his 5'7 and another guy at 165 who loves his 6'0" (@39ltrs!). Nobody is raving about the nano being a good paddler, yet the concensus is that it catches waves at will. In the larger sizes, 5'7" and up the volume takes large jumps in sizes making extra difficult making the right choice. With the extra rail length, big fat tail and the name 'Nano', was this board always meant to be ridden short? It is touted as user friendly board but so far seems wanting paddling around the lineup. I am 49 yrs, 5'10" and 168-170. I have been loving my 5'8" DA but struggle paddling it in high wind chop. I want an all rounder to take over from above the DA and when conditions are not ideal. I can't decide between a 5'8" 31.8 ltr or a 5'9" 33.8 ltr. I have looked at them both side by side and the different size is considerable. The 5'9" looks massive in comparison and has me thinking 5'8" all the way but I am worried all that rocker is going to make me the hunted vs. the hunter.

I think if you're thinking something looks massive, then don't go there! After reading pretty much everything I could find about Tomo's boards, I've ordered a 5'6" Nano. The consensus seems to be to stick with your preferred volume range and/or size it around your nose level. Smaller is better for a Tomo!

Also, check out the 'Tomo MPH' thread on Surfer forum if you want some more reading...

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/ubb...31#Post1714731

Comment

Yeah the rocker worries me as well as far as catching waves goes - I do like flatter rocker boards

Comment

First things first, the nano paddles like a dream, and catches waves easily.
        I find the added rocker helps when surfing beach breaks, it's still a super fast board, and really user friendly, a great all rounder.

Comment

I'm 49 68kgs and riding a 5'6 Nano 28.6 and I have a 5'5 VG and in my opinion the Nano paddles better than the VG. I haven't noticed the extra rocker making it harder to paddle and i think the trick with the Nano is not too go too small. I have surfed mine on beach breaks and reef breaks from shoulder to way over head high either nice and clean or windblown slop and the Nano just works. Super user friendly, smooth and an easy board to surf.

I never though i would be surfing a 506 surfboard and having fun. I am considering getting a 507 Nano for those small/fatter day to get a bit more run but anything with a bit of size and push the 506 is awesome. But as Goodfish has said stick with your preferred volume range....if you go lower then yes harder to paddle but more performance go over your volume range it will paddle well and be be a bit more hybrid in feel depending on the waves you surf.

I haven't gone back to the VG since i got the Nano.

Comment

I think size is based upon your real talent as a surfer, your weight, height, fitness and what you want the board to do. Oh yeah and your Ego!!! Yes I ride the board bigger than most at 6'0 even thought I'm a good intermediate surfer who is 53 years old and weigh 165 pounds. But for me, it's the best performance board I've ever had! The paddle works good for me knowing that bigger boards do get you around the line up better but again for me it works just fine. Again, these boards sell really well on the used market so if you go to big or small, you won't lose much in getting another size.....

Comment

Goodfish: how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Comment

Totally agree w/Waxer, these boards are meant to be ridden smaller but its all relative. Just because you're not on a 28L potato chip doesn't mean you can't have a blast. I'm riding an overvol nano by a size but its the best board I've ever ridden and at the "preferred" volume, I'd prob have less fun 80% of the time and more fun those rare times when the surf is perfect. The board is a lot more forgiving in less than ideal conditions than a VG or V4, check out 360Air's comparison of the VG/V4/Nano where he has all three but recommends getting the nano a size bigger than the VG. Unless you are upper level intermediate/advanced and surf perfect waves a little more foam isn't going to turn the board into a 2x4 not worth surfing, but you'll solve your paddle issues.
                Last edited by BFILK; 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Count me in as well.
                  I've ridden both the VG and now the Nano and totally agree with what Waxer and BFLIK have said.
                  Maybe the board feels a like it has a lot foam under the arm...but as soon as you're paddling into a wave that is the last thing on your mind.
                  Scratch that...most people haven't even held a nano but are looking at dims and volume on websites.
                  I put the 6'2" nano under my arm and I knew it was good times ahead.
                  The 6' VG I bought slightly used to try out the mph Tomo concept I sold within a day I advertised it for a profit.
                  A profit...on a used board!

Comment

Originally posted by LateBloomer View Post
                    This one is a tricky one; the preferred sizes seem to be all over the place. There an inmate here that's 150lbs and loving a 5'5", another 150lbs guy is loving his 5'7 and another guy at 165 who loves his 6'0" (@39ltrs!). Nobody is raving about the nano being a good paddler, yet the concensus is that it catches waves at will. In the larger sizes, 5'7" and up the volume takes large jumps in sizes making extra difficult making the right choice. With the extra rail length, big fat tail and the name 'Nano', was this board always meant to be ridden short? It is touted as user friendly board but so far seems wanting paddling around the lineup. I am 49 yrs, 5'10" and 168-170. I have been loving my 5'8" DA but struggle paddling it in high wind chop. I want an all rounder to take over from above the DA and when conditions are not ideal. I can't decide between a 5'8" 31.8 ltr or a 5'9" 33.8 ltr. I have looked at them both side by side and the different size is considerable. The 5'9" looks massive in comparison and has me thinking 5'8" all the way but I am worried all that rocker is going to make me the hunted vs. the hunter.
                    I've ridden the DA keep in mind the Nano does not have near the float under the chest as the DA. I rode the DA 2L 26L under my normal 28-29L vol and it worked well in soft gutless surf. The Nano ridden on the small side is works great as a performance board. If you surf in crowded line up just get a bit more volume like one size up from you normal volume. Yes you might lose some of the ability to muscle it around but the board still rides like a Hull and will ride like a dream even if you just like to cruise. At your age, weight etc I would go with a bit more than a bit less. BTW the wide tail is a none issue as I have never had it blow or be unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by DMsurfer View Post
                      Goodfish: how much do you weigh and how tall are you?
                      I'm 76kg and 6ft, but now I'm worried I should have gone for a 5'7...Wawawawa!

Comment

I'm 76kg as well and 6'1". I think I'm going to order a 5'7" based on this discussion.

Comment

I went a slightly different way. I didn't get too hung up on volume numbers. Before Firewire got on board I don't think Tomo even used volume as a guide. General rule was bridge of nose/ brow height and same width and thickness as every day short board (not hybrid). My DD short board dims being around 6'2 x 19 1/2 x 2 9/16 the 5'9 x 19 1/2 x 2 9/16 seemed like a logical choice even though the volume is pretty high. I know this doesn't always work if your short and stocky or tall and lanky but might work for some. Hopefully it gets here soon and I can see if I made the right choice.

Comment

Just got one...and was surprised by it's moderate rocker. With all the talk of rocker I was expecting something crazy but it really isn't. I think when you look at the outline (looks simmonsy) you would expect a flat board, and that's what is throwing people off. Also, a couple people on here mentioned that it takes more work to get into a wave and I'm finding the opposite. I couldn't believe how easy it caught the waves I paddled for. I'm about 180lbs right now and bought the 5'9" because I'm still in a 5/4.

Comment

Yeah I just got a Nano as well and the rocker, though more than the VG is not extreme, def less than most HPSBs I reckon. It's nice and quick and super easy to initiate turns or waft on reos - more so than my VG.

I reckon the VG has more drive however but early days as only had 2 surfs.

Back to the volume vs length thing - I am convinced the length is irrelevant for most as long as you get you volume right. I'm 180lb (82KG) and 5'9", so does that mean I am supposed to use a 5'4/5" based on it being nose height with no consideration for volume? However if I am 6'2" and 180lb the length is suddenly spot on! Same goes for the VG which I ride much longer than is recommended and it goes sic.

I reckon this whole length/volume thing puts a lot people off the Tomos.

PS, my Nano is 5'9" and paddles very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X