Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so keen to try the Nano after trying the VG. The VG just went so fricken well so if the Nano is just as fast and more forgiving then I'm going to wait until I demo it as well.
    Old mate Megsy has the VG and picked up a Nano today and I always value his opinion highly - I'm keen to see what he says.

BTW - How bloody good is it to have two insanely good boards to choose from (and a few others for that matter)???

Comment

• cuttlefish
      cuttlefish commented
      Editing a comment
      Never fear...Megsy will be frothing.
      I know I am...frothing I mean!

Goanna- you gonna love the Nano, and so right on. Firewire is killing it with all these models, so many good ones to choose from.

Comment

Well I decided to err on the side of caution and ended up going with the 5'9" and will hopefully have it out this weekends upcoming swell. Not sure what fins to throw on it so will try some standard F6 thrusters and see how things go. 49yrs, 77kgs, 5'10, beg/int

Comment

Hi everyone I'm looking for dome Nano sizing opinions if anyone cares to input. Currently on a 6'8 Hellfire and 6'6 dominator both padle pretty well and volumes suit thier purpose , I also have a number of other boards in around those volumes but in sizing the Nano my concern is paddle with the increased rocker. My current shortest board is 6'3 but flat and my more rockered boards are 6'8 the volume on the 6'2 nano is about the low end of what I normally surf and the 6'4 is a few litres up on any thing I surf but I am not sure if this will be required because of the rocker. Also not being able to see one this long locally I am not sure how the volume is placed if it is centrally it wouldnt worry me too much but if it is out towards the rails and nose I would be concerned. I am 54 at 105 kg had a shoulder reconstruction which aggravates if too much demand is put on it, surfing 3 times a week in waiste to just overhead beachies and reef breaks.
        5'10 sweet potato was great , 6'4 Dominator was great but I ran out of shoulders, 6'6 Dominator is good fun easy paddle, 6'6 Chubby Chedda was great but I ran out off shoulders, 6'8 Hellfire is great, look forward your input.

Hi everyone I'm looking for some Nano sizing opinions if anyone cares to input. Currently on a 6'8 Hellfire and 6'6 dominator both padle pretty well and volumes suit thier purpose , I also have a number of other boards in around those volumes but in sizing the Nano my concern is paddle with the increased rocker. My current shortest board is 6'3 but flat and my more rockered boards are 6'8 the volume on the 6'2 nano is about the low end of what I normally surf and the 6'4 is a few litres up on any thing I surf but I am not sure if this will be required because of the rocker. Also not being able to see one this long locally I am not sure how the volume is placed if it is centrally it wouldnt worry me too much but if it is out towards the rails and nose I would be concerned. I am 54 at 105 kg had a shoulder reconstruction which aggravates if too much demand is put on it, surfing 3 times a week in waiste to just overhead beachies and reef breaks.
        5'10 sweet potato was great , 6'4 Dominator was great but I ran out of shoulders, 6'6 Dominator is good fun easy paddle, 6'6 Chubby Chedda was great but I ran out off shoulders, 6'8 Hellfire is great, look forward your input.

Nano 6'2 or 6'4 ???

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd ride it 1-2" smaller than Dom personally.

I'm 48, 5'9", 165lbs and a crap paddling intermediate. I had all the same worries when choosing a Nano. Went for the 5'7" and it was right for me, even towards the upper end of what I'd want I'd say. If you read the other thread I just snapped it :( but I'll be buying the same size again. Easy paddling, easy wave catching, moderate rocker (not flat like the potatos). Love the board.

Does anyone think it looks like it was designed by a 5 years old :) Kind of throws the rule book out the window? I've got a 5'10" Unibrow as well for sizing reference.

Comment

Thanks for the input 6'2 ordered

Comment

Thank so much everyone, much appreciated and killer input.

Comment

Originally posted by 360air View Post

I've ridden the DA keep in mind the Nano does not have near the float under the chest as the DA. I rode the DA 2L 26L under my normal 28-29L vol and it worked well in soft gutless surf. The Nano ridden on the small side is works great as a performance board. If you surf in crowded line up just get a bit more volume like one size up from you normal volume. Yes you might lose some of the ability to muscle it around but the board still rides like a Hull and will ride like a dream even if you just like to cruise. At your age, weight etc I would go with a bit more than a bit less. BTW the wide tail is a none issue as I have never had it blow or be unpredictable.

Hey 360 - I noticed you have ridden DA and Nano, I'm riding a 6'2 UB at the moment (recently sold my DM and SP) and now I find myself needing a step down for the UB. I think I prefer shorter boards, SP was the most fun I've ever had and literally flew in knee to waist, I'm tossing between DA and Nano looking for fast and easy turning in smaller surf but without the limit of the SP, that sounds like I should go straight to the DA but the Nano is getting such rave reviews and the DA not so much. Also to match my UB volume I'd have to go for 6' DA and I sort of think a shorter board and stubbier tail will put more snap in my turns. I'm struggling with my forehand reos at the moment, I seem to have lost the knack, I can crank the backhand but can't seem to get the UB round on the forehand, (sorry for the life story) but I'm looking for a board that will surf brilliantly and help with that. Anyway in short I'm looking for your view on the DA overall and especially in comparison to the Nano - I'm thinking of sticking with my current vol (5'10 nano 6' DA) - any feedback welcome.

Comment

• 360air
                360air commented
                Editing a comment
                For a step down from your UNI if I had to chose between the DA and the Nano it would be the DA. The DA will fly in waist high surf the Nano not so much and if it did it would be with lots of input which is sounds like you are a bit rusty at the moment. I hope that helps. -Anthony

Hey Jus, when you say 'smaller surf' what range you talking? As has been said before the Nano is def not a groveler and does need a bit of push to get the most out of it. Personally once it gets to waist high for example the Nano is fine if the waves have a bit of suck, but is not so good if it is short period weak stuff.

I just got a 5'5" baked potato to replace a SP for smaller stuff and it is great in up to head high running as a quad but does crossover with the Nano in that size range. I found the SP stiff on forehand as well (though it was too big for me at 5'6"). For me the Nano handles no problem up to 2 x OH and is more of an everyday board for our winter period - here in Sydney at least. It is very easy to turn!

Lately I've been surf mainly reefs with some slabby sections and running it as quad - LFT construction in a 5'9" (I'm 82kg/180lbs). Haven't ridden a DA (looked at one) but heard they have a bigger range than the BP, although not as good a groveler.

Comment

Hey curlybloke - thanks for feedback, nano sounds like a good board, sort of tempted to get one and then faze out the uni if the nano works better. 5'9 is the same volume as my uni which is bottom end volume for me but I see you are on 59 and you are about 4-5ks lighter than me. Maybe the 6ft would be the go but that is a big jump up and nearly 40L which seems like a lot of board. What BP are you on, guess you must be on 55 which is again a board I was thinking of. I used to be on the 56 SP and it was perfect but I was up around 79k then. I usually know what my next board is going to be but not this time. Nano looks great but really need a groveller.

Comment

Working...
                X