X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano vs vanguard review

Took delivery of a 510 FST nano and had two sessions on it today in 3 foot weak onshore conditions. Quite a different feel from the VG with a few things I noticed that others weighing up the two boards might be interested to hear. Firstly glad that I went the same size as my VG, this board can be ridden at least 2-3 litres smaller than your normal board volume. Paddles onto waves a easy, maybe even easier, doesn't hit the brakes at all, gets quickly up to speed. Deck feels much more domed than the VG, surfs more driver, in fact I normally use am2 futures thruster on my VG, they feel a little large on the nano so I changed to a medium set of fins, CT,s I think they call them for the second session and much better. (Futures Kelly shape). So it's at quick board, probably going to be better in slightly smaller waves than the VG, didn't feel like it was not as easy to throw around as the Vg, but early days. It's more like on rails in the turns, and I think you need to be a bit more precise with your feet positions. I think this is because the tail rocker is less. The VG has a wider sweet spot and feels like you can make a good turn no matter whereabouts you are standing. So looking forward to surfing it in cleaner conditions, I think that's where it will be better than the VG, in waves around here anyway. Another great board, probably pick the VG if I could only have one but enjoy them both.

I've read that the VG has a much smaller sweet spot meaning smaller area of error so to speak. And that the Nano has a much larger area meaning more forgiving foot placement. Also as a one board quiver, seems like the Nano takes it. So this review creates more confusion. I think I am suffering from analysis paralysis on the Tomos now. Seeing Danial etc surf the boards isn't realistic for the majority as he could surf a boogie board with extreme adept.

Comment

I just had my 4th surf on a 5'9" Nano ( I have had a 5'9" VG for 5 weeks now). So far have had it in a waist high weakish beach break, a solid beach break (4-5 foot) then solid Point/reef slabby stuff today up to 10 foot faces (5 foot). Here's my take:

Definitely paddles in easily even though nearly 2 litres less.
      NOT as drivey on a flat/fat/slow wave as the VG but super quick once their is any sort power - even in the weakish beachie.
      Much more forgiving than the VG, still a back foot board but not as critical. Easier to initiate turns (but it is 2 liters smaller as well)
      Best board ever for round house cutbacks - makes you fell like Parko lol

Overall I am stoked on this board, not so sure how it will go in our week summer surf, but have a SP for that! Got 3 nice tubes this morning, really easy to stall and drive through the barrel. I would say better for critical takes offs than the VG on slabby waves, although I like the VG in that stuff also. It is great for bouncing off the foam as well on cutties. Super drivey in any sort of juice. Probably a better alrounder than the VG but not a groveller IMO.

It is early days however as only had 4 surfs. Just found this Pic from this morning:

Attachment
      Last edited by curlybloke; 05-04-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, I don't think anything can touch grovel like the BP/SP. Nothing has close to the volume per length as those 2 boards but I digress. Its funny though, seems like the VG has it in terms of "wow factor". Even if I demo, it won't give a realistic impression. Since FW hold value, might as well make the plunge and sell if it doesn't click. As one mans carrot is another mans filet.

Comment

Aurf, when I mean a greater sweet spot, I find that the vanguard can turn from a wider range of feet position where the nano is quite flat tail rocker so you need to be set up on the tail to initiate the turn. That's what I mean by wider sweet spot. Define more drive than the VG. I found the nano better with slightly smaller fins. Agree the nano will be better in flatter summer surf but is no way a groveller like a SP. It's a all round good board but like I said, if I had to choose, I would go the VG because I think it's easier to surf better on it. It's only my first surfs on the nano and I still liked how it felt. The vanguard just feels looser and the nano more a drive feeling.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been riding my vanguard in small weak waves that I'd normally only use the potatoes in. It does just fine. If the nano has more low end it'd be a great groveller IMO.

• curlybloke
            curlybloke commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you will find the Nano has more rocker and slightly LESS drive than the VG. That said, get it in a half decent section and it takes off like a Ferrari with the same sort of maneuverability. Maybe it's your fin set up - I have the same size tri fins in both boards.

Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Loving the Nano, but it's definitely not a groveller. I struggled on weak waistish high waves. Stomach with a little punch and it was amazing. It's definitely my most "hp" board. I have plenty of boards for thigh to waist that I'd rather surf though.

Comment

I reckon if you truly are a ripper, or want to be a ripper, or are holding onto your past ripper status (surfers ego lol) then you will choose the vanguard.
              If you're almost a ripper, or want to be a carver/ripper, or holding onto your past ripper status (surfers ego lol) then you will choose the nano.
              Formula 1, Moto GP ride = Vanguard.
              Sportscar, World superbike = Nano.

Comment

Love the analogy cuttlefish, Moto GP vs Super Bike puts it in perspective :)

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                  I reckon if you truly are a ripper, or want to be a ripper, or are holding onto your past ripper status (surfers ego lol) then you will choose the vanguard.
                  If you're almost a ripper, or want to be a carver/ripper, or holding onto your past ripper status (surfers ego lol) then you will choose the nano.
                  Hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                    Couldn't agree less.
                    After riding the Nano for the last month, I'll never even ride my VG again. Which is saying a lot because the Vg was mental!
                    The Nano takes the best parts of the VG and applies some HPS mentality to it, which is what I thought the VG was always lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by lordsword View Post

Couldn't agree less.
                      After riding the Nano for the last month, I'll never even ride my VG again. Which is saying a lot because the Vg was mental!
                      The Nano takes the best parts of the VG and applies some HPS mentality to it, which is what I thought the VG was always lacking.
                      I feel the same Lordsword - the Nano will turn more tightly in the pocket and probably needs a tiny bit more power but can be pushed harder. Probably suits a slightly more advanced surfer in some ways than the VG which generates speed more easily.

Comment

Wow, this thread is turning VERY interesting. I mean it was already interesting but really enjoying every ones feedback. Soo insightful in all the view points. For such boards to invoke passion is a testament to the shaper for sure.

Comment

soooo many conflicting ideas... it really does show how everyone surfs differently and likes different things in their boards. The only other boards I've seen such a vast array of mixed reviews is with the Potato series. Everything else seems predictable in the way it performs for any given surfer...

Comment

What's interesting here is that the makers of the boards have the Vanguard in the high performance section and the Nano in the performance hybrid section.
                            If you watch the clip with Stuey Kennedy riding a vanguard and Tomo riding a nano it's splitting hairs who's surfing better.
                            If you listen to what Nathan Hedge says about the nano and that he's ridden other Tomos but the nano is "epic" then it really comes down to what suits your surfing better.
                            Me...I had 3 surfs on the vanguard and that was it. Not for me. From my first wave on the nano I knew it was a great board for how I wanted to ride it.
                            But I stand by my analogy with the cars/bikes.
                            You'll Have bike racers that have been world champions on Superbikes trouncing their nearest rivals. Then they've head to Moto GP and they never quite get their heads around the bikes and return mediocre results.
                            Last edited by cuttlefish; 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X