X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which construction?

Decided to order a 5'4 Nano, but there is little information ( or maybe I'm blinde) regarding the pros and cons of each construction
    Is linear flex tech more expensive?
    Is Future shapes technology lighter?

Lft is lighter and springier, also cheaper. Fst is much stronger, slightly heavier, more expensive. My personal preference is fst. But to each their own.

Comment

LFT will be light and lively but more prone to dings on rails and bottom. FST a more standard weight and a more dampened flex. It's less likely to ding, but if you do seriously ding it it's a lot more effort to repair than LFT.

Comment

Those comments are spot on, Yer, I reckon I'd go LFT based on performance but choose FST if you want durability. I like my boards to look new for longer so I buy FST but I have a rapid fire vanguard and it does feel very light on and off the water but I am finding much easier to damage.

Comment

FST all the way!

Comment

I actually like the weight of the FST. It's somewhere in between the weight of a poly and light eps board.

Comment

Just my 2 bobs worth.
              I too was paranoid about my boards continuing to look good & hold up to the beating they inevitably receive.
              My first FST Potatonator delaminated under the back foot within months.
              I choose FST at that time because I'd seen so many of my mates Bamboo Rapidfire boards decks collapsing big time
              I'm certainly not harsh on my boards by any means.
              That was 2 years back and to be fair it hasn't deteriorated any further.

Last year I purchased a Baked Potato, Rapidfire White, simply because there was no FST available.
              To be honest it's been an eye opener.
              It feels lively compared to the Potatonator, (but having said that I think my Potatonator is one of my best boards),
              and to my surprise when the BP got a wax strip & freshen up after 20 or so surfs had NOT ONE dent.
              Another 20 surfs on and it's still looking brand new.

I've ordered a LFT Vanguard because I get the impression that the construction should be considered in relation to the board.
              I rode a Rapidfire Vanguard and it felt right.
              I get the impression that a little of the Vanguard magic might be lost if it was the slightly heavier, maybe less lively FST.
              AND I hoping that the new LFT might be the next gen in Firewires continued strive for a quality product.

Cant wait to get my LFT Vanguard

Comment

Hey Twiggy! Great post! everyone nailed the differences, the choice is up to thee...

Comment

michel bourez and sally fitz ride fst... just sayin... altho i assume all the boards they get are light glass jobs etc

Comment

• Sarge
                    Sarge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There are 3 of Michel's unused boards in the Torquay surf shop , all 5'11". They look to be normal glass job that has been sanded right back to lose the weight. They are noticeably lighter than the stock models.

True True True Nelson.......... but it looks like both their comp boards are only available in FST construction.
                  You would be right I'm sure in them being SPECIAL build though.
                  I'm guessing the stresses of competition on some of those fine 2" to 21/4" RF's would leave a lot of busted boards on the sand.
                  Fingers crossed the LFT is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Sarge that makes sense, probably the easiest way as opposed to having a dedicated lighter glassing production line for the pros... The joys of having a van full to choose from when you snap them eh! Twiggy I think they aren't that fussed about durability so interesting they still go for the fst albeit with the sanded back glass...

Comment

yeah guys there can be variations in sanding and lamination when it comes to team boards....

Comment

• Nelson GoldCoast
                        Nelson GoldCoast commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey chris speaking of team boards you know what sally fitz was riding in fiji? The one she snapped and the slightly stubbier one she switched up to? Both pyzel shapes i think...

I think they were both pyzel "next step"... Any idea if firewire will be releasing these? Looks like a great step up for when its overhead and beyond...

Comment

Working...
                      X