Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano 5'9" Review

Hey

Just got my Nano 5'9 and my Custom MB(6'3 x 19.25 x 2.5 and 0.25 wider in the nose). Both boards look like a million bucks.

Had a chance to surf the Nano in a river and it went sick. Super easy to do tight turns and it just flows with ease. Never surfed the river that well before. Cant wait to give it a go in the ocean though. I had a 5'10 vanguard which I sold of pretty quickly, but this board seems to be much easier to surf and more neutral in terms of foot position:-) A keeper for sure...

Cheers

Nice. That custom MB looks fricken tasty.

Comment

I know, don't think I will get to test it for a while, but should be a good board for Indo style waves i reckon.

I'm 6'3 and 90kg so that why the MB is a bit beefed up:-)

Comment

good one norberg

Comment

Hey Norberg now that you have had the Nano for a while - how is the 5'9" going for you at 90kg?
          I'm about 89kg and have my heart set on the 5'10"
          I have a 6'2" MD at 33.9 ltrs and the 5'9" Nano is 33.8 ltrs - I'm guessing I won't be losing anything paddle ability at almost the same volume
          but was hoping to gain some with the 5'10" at 35.7 ltrs

I look forward to your feedback!

Comment

Hey Goanna.

Can't remember where, but while trawling the net I read a post where the guy said you need to take a leap of faith with the volume on the Nano and go lower. Paddling out is slower but when paddling into a wave, the wave's energy gives the planing hull lift and gains speed quickly. Wish I could remember where I read it as his description was far more eloquent than mine!

Comment

Hey Goanna

The ocean has been completely flat here since I got the board, but surfed a river with it a couple of times and it paddles well. I don't think I will ever experience rips stronger than the river and I have no issues paddling it to shore across the turbulent water. I'm in a 4/3 suit also.

I was also thinking of getting the 5'10, but pretty sure I got the right size. The rails aren't to refined and I am pretty sure that rails on the 5'10 would be too much for my liking. Also, I was a bit worried that it would feel super small as I am pretty tall, but didn't feel weird at all. It easy to slide the tail out with control and it is just super fun and breeze to maneuver.

Cant wait for some proper waves:-)

Comment

5'10" paddles pretty well Goanna, pretty much the same as a 5'10" vanguard but probably accelerates quicker onto a wave, lower tail rocker.

Comment

Bummer norberg - isn't it always the way when you get a new board! Thanks for the reply

Comment

Hey Freaked out - what's your stats again?

Comment

6ft, 90kg 43 yrs intermediate weekend punter. I definetly wouldnt ride the vangard or the nano any bigger. Normally Id like between 37-39 litres in a board but about 35 litres is right for me with these two tomos.

Comment

Hey Goanna I'm usually on a 32-33l hp boards and 34-36 for a hybrid. I guess you would be happy on the 5'10 if you prefer a bit more volume.

Comment

• Goanna
                          Goanna commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'd be good on both.

Well I got down to the shop and held a 5'9" and 5'10" Nano today and had a hell of a time deciding which way to go. While I played the ever popular game show that is my life - "For shit sake choose a new surfboard" I was down to my last lifeline when I decided to phone a friend - the one and only Slowman. He convinced me that seeing that I have a Baked Potato already I should go the 5'9"
                        I'm glad I did because it has just about the same volume as my 6'2" MD and it ended up catching waves easier than the MD. It is also as we know a very fast board so two boxes ticked and I'm getting stoked very quickly but there is one issue at this early stage - The board felt like it was on train tracks - I ran the Rusty Blakstix as per the recommendation on the sticker but wasn't happy with them. I felt every inch of that wide tail and straight rail line so I'm hoping a change of fins will fix this!
                        Early days but feeling the potential.
                        It was 4-5ft and clean low tide beachies

Comment

• Phill
                          Phill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Another thing to bare in mind Goanna, the fin cluster is tight and much further back than standard placement. If your foot ain't jammed back you aren't going to get much turning ability.
                          I've ran big and small fins in my vanguard and have no problems turning if my foot is back there.
                          Because of all that rail line you don't need huge fins despite the wide tail though.

Good on Goanna, yer the nano has a ton of drive, Rustys be too big for sure. EA s if it's solid or WCT s when it's average are working for me. I don't get those stickers either. Dunno why they bother unless they put some science too it!

Comment

Thanks Norberg & Phil. I have a set of WCT already so I'll give them a try. I'm pretty stoked so far.

Comment

• ONeal
                            ONeal commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Goanna do you feel there is a lot of cross over between the Nanno and your mini driver?
                        Working...
                        X