Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Waves for Nano

Hi fellow firewire frothers,

I can see that Goanna has posted up the footage of him that was taken last week end on his Nano.

The wave conditions weren't Nano worthy. The conditions were probably best suited to a SP or BP as the faces were quite flat & there was very little power in the waves.

Anyway, I think it's just as important to show the wrong type of waves for a board, so that we can all make better decisions when choosing our weapon of choice.

Click on the link for my waves during that session.

For those that don't know, I'm 175cm (5'8" tall), weigh 72kgs & am riding a 5'5" FST Nano in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTgyuziK0g

Thought I'd bring this over from my other thread...

Megsy and I should have been riding our Baked Potato's but I really wanted to see how low the Nano would go.
    As you can see the waves lack any real grunt so it was difficult to get going but the positives are that it did catch these waves very easily.
    I'm 45yrs / 5'8" tall and weigh 89 kg - The Nano is 5'9"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkD03jCFk_U

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
      Thought I'd bring this over from my other thread...

Megsy and I should have been riding our Baked Potato's but I really wanted to see how low the Nano would go.
      As you can see the waves lack any real grunt so it was difficult to get going but the positives are that it did catch these waves very easily.
      I'm 45yrs / 5'8" tall and weigh 89 kg - The Nano is 5'9"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkD03jCFk_U
      It looked like it still went OK... maybe with more time on the board some of those earlier hooks that you sort of stalled on would have been completed floaters. You nailed a good one towards the end. Looks like it goes OK for you anyway.
      Last edited by Slowman; 06-27-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

After looking at both clips the lefts look like they had more of a wall, assuming both clips were at the same break, the VG struggles in really full stuff like that too. I was thinking of getting a baked for groveling but I'm thinking of just getting the 5'9 VG, 1" longer but about 4 more litres.

Comment

I liked the footage so thanks for the posts. As for proper weapon, well the BP would have been very at home. However as you said, the session was to see how the Nano would fair in those conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post

It looked like it still went OK... maybe with more time on the board some of those earlier hooks that you sort of stalled on would have been completed floaters. You nailed a good one towards the end. Looks like it goes OK for you anyway.

Yeah Slowman third surf so still trying to work it out. I did notice the tail sticking when trying to hook the board around from that top turn. Maybe fins + lack of grunt. I'm looking forward to dialling her in a bit more. My mate has got a set of Parko Kinetic (small) so I'll give them a go as well. Running the WCT at the moment and they feel good except for that finishing off the turn
            Last edited by Goanna; 06-27-2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
              After looking at both clips the lefts look like they had more of a wall, assuming both clips were at the same break, the VG struggles in really full stuff like that too. I was thinking of getting a baked for groveling but I'm thinking of just getting the 5'9 VG, 1" longer but about 4 more litres.
              same break same day. Megsy went right I went left

Comment

Looks like the boards are going fine for the 'waves' you were trying to ride. Megsy- what were you doing going right? They were like anti-waves!

Comment

The rights would have been more fun on a sweet potato but easily do-able with the nano equipped with controllers and a small trailer. The lefts I'd be happy to ride the nano with TP1 thruster set.
                  Last edited by cuttlefish; 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

goanna and megsy are rippin' yeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Comment

DA wave for sure, BP has met its match in the grovelling dept.

Comment

• powman
                        powman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        can you elaborate on the ride differences & grovel ability between BP & DA, haven't found anyone that's ridden both yet
                        looking to replace my SP with one of them for 1 - 3 ft under my Nano/Uni/V4

Goanna, first thanks for your response comparing the Elf and Nano on the other nano thread. Very helpful. Question about the nano length when it comes to foot position. At 5'8" tall are you happy with the 5'9" nano?

Comment

Originally posted by windswell View Post
                        Goanna, first thanks for your response comparing the Elf and Nano on the other nano thread. Very helpful. Question about the nano length when it comes to foot position. At 5'8" tall are you happy with the 5'9" nano?

Hey Windswell, I'll admit that it takes a bit of extra concentration to make sure my foot position is in the right spot - I mostly get it right but sometimes I need to look down if the wave allows.
                        As for the length yes I'm happy as far as float goes - I'm catching a lot of waves very easily.
                        after 3 surfs I haven't done any real cutbacks or reos yet so I'll let you know when I do and how the length suits me then.

Comment

I'd consider those waves as perfect for my potatonator (since that's what I have). Would a PN / Nano be a good 2 board option?

Comment

Like @goanna said, the Nano had no problem catching these waves & sure the Nano was still ridable but I have no doubt that a board like the sweet or baked potato or even a potatonator would have been more suited to those conditions.
                            This is probably the bottom end of conditions that you would take the Nano out in.
                            Another foot bigger, another second or two in wave period & the Nano would be a more suitable weapon for that particular session.

Comment

Working...
                            X