X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Board Quiver?

The thought of a two board quiver may be a stretch for many of you with 5 or 6 boards out in the garage, but I'm curious to hear some of your opinions. What board would you pair with a Nano for a two board quiver? Personally, I live in Oregon and would use the Nano for the better days and need something for the bigger high tide mush or smaller 2-3 ft days. Thinking BP, DA, or PN would be obvious choices. (Have SP but a little oversized so will probably sell it.)

I'd go for a correctly side sweet p personally. I thought it was a much better board than the baked and loved it in anything under head high if it was super clean and weak or mixed up and junky. Haven't tried the DA or PN but the SP was sensational in those conditions

Comment

I havent tried the SP but my 501 BP is great in 1-3ft, it probably does like a cleaner wave when its smaller but then dont we all? Also i doubt id head out all that often in 1-2ft slop but if its clean 1-2ft peelers then thats a totally different story!

I think you might be talking american wave heights (breaking face height) as opposed to aus/hawain (back of wave/swell size) which im using.

Phil preaching the SP is better than the BP again, if it really is it must be epic, id imagine theyre both great just suited to different styles/situations. The BP goes great here on the beachies and points of SE QLD and N NSW.

Im going to start building my quiver properly by replacing my overvolumed 509 chubby chedda with something, i had thought nano but am pretty sold on a 508 mini driver then maybe il get a vader or something at some point.... and a pyzel slab.... and a step up... and the rest!!!

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I just couldn't get on with the Baked personally. The sweet was one of the fastest board I've ridden, the baked I couldn't find any drive and kept wasting waves by bogging on the first bottom turn.
        I sold it after a few surfs. The only time I've ever done that with a board.
        Certainly nothing wrong with the shape as I know plenty of people love them, but after getting used to the vanguard it just didn't work for me sadly.

if your fit, then a low volume hellfire or vanguard are one board quivers...problem solved...also you are always "tuned" into the board...

Comment

core how do you rate the MD?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          The MD is a lovely board for hollow stuff. I personally found it a bit vanilla for open face stuff. Low tail rocker with a pulled in round tail make it really neutral and dependable but not that exciting.
          In nuggety little tubes it's a beauty though. If we had regular tubes here I'd have kept it, and if I was going on a indo/Maldives trip I'd really want one in the bag.
          I do like the look of the pile driver for regular days.

just watched a local "grom" (wilco) smash a backhand reo at Ballito...!! yeeewwww..!!! i haven't tried the MD nelson..i think Phill and Goanna have them.. chime in guys.... the hellfire is buttery enough in the semi hybrid category for me.. i know the MD came about as a free-er board in tubes, but the hf does me fine..(not that i chase tubes.. too easy to stuff up my back.!!. give me an open wall to bury rail..!!).. although i did run the MB through a few barrels in the attatched photo 2 days ago..everyone went in and left me and one other guy alone..with big fish..
        http://instagram.com/p/qCu_LpBIcH/?modal=true
        Last edited by core personal training; 07-06-2014, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• Nelson GoldCoast
          Nelson GoldCoast commented
          Editing a comment
          the others have been chipping in plenty of info, its just coming down to making a decision... the stepped rails and diamond tail put me off the hellfire a little for some reason, i really didnt like the spitfire i had. much prefer my chubby chedda but looking for less volume/more performance for 2 foot min but more like 3-6... never has a round/pin tail board so i think maybe the MD would be good for me, also like the look of the pyzel slab but think itl be a bit of a wait for that in fst

Bgang, I'm heading in a similar direction. I have a 5'6 PN which I love in 1-4ft beachies and points that crumbly or a bit softer. Love the drive and step down rails of that board...no proplem gaining speed even when it's 1ft. I've just ordered a 5'7 Nano which I hope I can use when it is more powerful, slightly bigger or hollower waves, to replace a hpsb. I like a board with a bit more rocker in those conditions so hoepfully that will work out. Still have a 6'6 for big days...I guess that's a 3 board quiver! But I hope to use the PN and Nano in most of the time.

Comment

• bgang
          bgang commented
          Editing a comment
          vissnz, what is your weight? You are opting for a nano at the same volume as your PN? Not slightly less? You find the PN enough of a groveler? I was originally thinking of exchanging my SP for a PN but then was thinking there may be a little too much overlap between a nano and PN.

bgang I reckon you could stay with the SP and the nano just fine.
        That's what I've done.
        That's after going through 2 sizes of SP's and finally splitting the difference on my 3rd one.
        I used to have an SP and PN and I was covered for everything sub 5' my local would serve up.
        Small, high tide SP, small low tide PN. Full, high tide up to 4' SP. Hollower, low tide up to 5' PN. Full, high tide 3-5' PN.
        Went through 3 BP's after selling both my PN (never should have done that) and SP.
        Like Phil I've had on again, off again surfs with the BP. Dialling in fins helped a huge amount.
        Needed some cash recently and sold my beautiful timbertek BP.
        No worries came across a bargain basement priced SP to go with my nano.
        Back to a 2 board sub 6' quiver with these two.
        Btw it was a blast jumping back on an SP and tapping into its ridiculous speed again.
        Last edited by cuttlefish; 07-07-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I have the BP and Nano as well and although I haven't surfed the Nano much I can see these two covering me for 99% of waves I surf. I would consider that a good 2 board quiver.
          Having said that I've held onto the MD as well just in case.

Comment

My view on a 2 board quiver is it's always going to leave you short somewhere. Groveller and a good wave board and you're never going to have something that excels as a daily driver and will often be nursing a groveller or bogging a HP board. Groveller and daily driver and you'll be caught short when conditions all come together and it's pumping. It's a shame not to take full advantage of those days... Daily driver and a good wave board could be the best option unless you live somewhere that is often plagued with grovel conditions. I think 3 is a magic number.

Comment

• cuttlefish
              cuttlefish commented
              Editing a comment
              That must be why I have 6. Nice little multiple of 3. Lol.
              The SP and nano are my Firewires. The other 4 are inbetween 4'2" and 8'2". The epic day board is somewhat dusty lately.

Ya Bgang, I'm 76kgs and perhaps could have dropped the volume on the Nano down a bit, but we'll see..Tomo designs are all new to me. Super frothing to try the Nano, arrives this week. At home for sure, ride the PN and hopefully the Nano most of the time (never really gets above 6ft where I live), but Indo in 2 weeks, so the Nano and 6'6 will be coming along. As Phill said, I think 3 is a pretty good number..nice to have options and not feel under/over gunned.

Comment

Haha I know that feeling Pete. My epic day board got replaced with a daily driver with a little more paddle power for when there's too much water moving to paddle the vanguard around. I'm tempted to get a HP twin or something for flawless days just to change things up!

Comment

I rode the quad fish the other day and had a blast! always fun to go back to the roots.

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I saw one for sale the other day second hand. Was tempted to grab it. My mate had one for a while, def a fun little board!

Originally posted by Phill View Post
                Groveller and a good wave board and you're never going to have something that excels as a daily driver and will often be nursing a groveller or bogging a HP board. Groveller and daily driver and you'll be caught short when conditions all come together and it's pumping.
                ^ Phill makes an excellent point here. A two board quiver is definitely doable for the majority of the time, but there will be times that you'll feel your boards are out of range for the conditions. I agree with what people are saying up above in that a three board quiver is the ideal, but if that is not feasible than you'll still be in good shape with two.

Comment

I'd second (and third?) what you guys are saying. My Nano works perfectly up to head-high and a bit, but it's a real struggle after that. Admittedly, I've only surfed it in Bali, but I'm definitely wishing I brought a bigger board with me. Rookie mistake...

Comment

• cuttlefish
                    cuttlefish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never mind the vets love you for it.
                    Surf the snot out of your nano for us anyway.

• Goodfish
                    Goodfish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha! Did I see you on the beach at Berawa? Were you the guy saying you were thinking of getting a VG?
                Working...
                X