Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'5" Nano FST Footage From GoPro3 Mouth Mount

Hi guys,

Just a couple of waves on my 5'5" FST Firewire Nano (Performer FCSII thruster set-up) from yesterdays session @Curl Curl beach, Sydney, Australia.

High tide, 3ft, clean, light offshore winds, good bank. Decided to try out a home made mouth mount for the GoPro to get a first person perspective.

Nano went really well in those conditions.

Hope you guys enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zhsmHhrmLs

Very cool, thanks Megs!

Comment

• megsy
      megsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers aurfalien...I think it's always good to see footage from your "every day" average surfer, which I consider myself to be. Watching the pros rip on the firewire's is one thing, but lets face it, most of us aren't getting these fantastic boards for free, so we have to see what we can do on them when we shell out our hard earned cash, right?

Nice work Megsy, looks like a good time. Nano is just so damn fun!

Comment

• megsy
      megsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Toobz, it was a fun session. I'm hopefully going to get more footage on my quiver as well, now that I have my home-made GoPro mouth mount, so stay tuned!

Nice work Megsy. It looks like it was flying on a couple of them.

Comment

• megsy
      megsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Goanna, you know the nano got some speed!

Seems like you've been getting some great waves down there lately. Any more specific feedback on the nano in the recent waves?
    Have you tried a shoulder mount Megsy?
    I'd be scared of losing my teeth with a mouth mount but I have no idea of how it works either.

Comment

• megsy
      megsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi cuttlefish, the nano has speed but unless you're going rail to rail like the Vanaguard you're not going to get the best out of it. I honestly don't think it's as high performance as the VG but if the waves are a little less vertical or on the higher tide side of things, I'd go the Nano.
      Haven't tried a shoulder mount (do you have a specific link to a suitable one?).
      You have to be conscious of the mouth mount because you can tend to get a little lock-jaw if you don't take it out every once in a while. When you know you can't dismount safely you just drop it out of your mouth & because you have the floaty back door on you know it will float.

• cuttlefish
      cuttlefish commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Megsy,
      I honestly can't recall where I've heard/seen them on talked about on another forum or how they had been made.
      Seemed to give a more stable view with torso movement rather than head movement.
      You're footage was really interesting though.
      100 times better than the nose mounted lookback.

That looks super fun. I'm getting a nano I October though I haven't decided on the 5'5 or the 5'6 yet. Megsy, I know I've asked you your weight and height before. Your pretty much the same as me. 72odd though I am around 5'9. I know there is only 1L in it though as I think I'd use it as a one board quiver when I travel I thought the 5'6. I have a chubby sitting at 28.6L exactly the same as the 5'6. Has there been any time where you've thought you would have preferred the 5'6 over the 5'5? I ummed and arrrhed buying the CC between the 5'9 and 5'10, went with the safer bet.

Comment

• megsy
      megsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Pete.T, at 5'8" & 72kg & in those conditions, I'm pretty happy with my 5'5" Nano.
      If the waves got bigger & more powerful, I'd probably grab my 5'4" VG.

rippin' megsy....!! speeeeeeeeed...!!! .. just saw nelsons mouth mount on the other thread..i've got one coming now (and my lft vanguard) and you guys have me pumped to try it on my reefs..!!.. going to need editing advice from you guys though as i have absolutely no idea..!!

Comment

Wow. I'm surprised it goes so well in such small waves. I'd call that 1-2' (Australian). Looks fun!

Comment

• Nelson GoldCoast
        Nelson GoldCoast commented
        Editing a comment
        Justo i was thinking didnt really look quite like 3ft strayan... But you have to account for the mouth mount which from my experience takes a bit of getting used to so you dont see all the best waves and also if its like mine then hangs down below the chin combined with the super wide angle gopro can make it hard to judge...

Good stuff megsy, thanks for the share!

Comment

Nice vid megsy, those waves looked real fun! Can you post up a shot of your mouth mount, Iv been thinking of ways I could make one and would be interested to see yours before my attempt

Comment

iv been trying to post up a pic of mine but its such a pain getting this forum to accept pics sometimes! keeps saying theyre too big then i downsized them and theyre the wrong dimensions! have a look in baked potato thread i briefly described to core or PM me and il email you a pic

Comment

Yeah looking super fun and fast Megsy. Thanks for sharing that one.

Comment

@Nelson GoldCoast, @Matt_s, @core personal training,

Comment

• Nelson GoldCoast
                Nelson GoldCoast commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice megsy! Its essentially pretty similar to mine but i used the smaller mount that comes with the gopro and neoprene and electrical tape for cushioning. Yours looks realy good and solves the salty wet neoprene issue of mine plus bit of a wider plate to chomp down on.

• core personal training
                Editing a comment
                why didn't i think of doing that.!!!. still waiting for my fancy store bought one to arrive.. got a dodgy copy of adobe premiere to install..you watch.. my laptop will implode or something..!!! ... this software will self destruct in.......

Hilarious, I have the exact same deck pad :)

Comment

Originally posted by megsy View Post
                @Nelson GoldCoast, @Matt_s, @core personal training,
                Nice! (and nice vid too!)
                If anyone is interested, my mouth mounts will be shipping in a week or two: http://hostevie.com/shop/gopro-mouth-mount.html

Comment

Working...
                X