X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano - Review/ Snapped Board

I want to write my honest review of my 5'7 LFT Nano I bought a few weeks ago. To start with, I was super excited to try this board, having excellent past experiences with my 5'6 Potatonator and my mate's Unibrow. I weigh 75kgs, int-adv surfer, planned to surf in good beachies and some indo reefs.

1st day - Picked up board from shop. Impressed with the clean outline and shape. FCS 2, but shop had to re-bore the fin screw holes on latest batch of Firewires, which I thought was a bit poor from the manufacturer's perspective.

2nd day - Surfing blown out beachie/ shoulder high and head high boulder reef: Board felt stable, drivey and fun, though nothing exceptional. Paddled well, nice smooth bottom turns, no problems on the bigger sets at the reef. I noticed I could have a very tight arc on forehand cutbacks, so I liked that aspect.

3rd/4th days - Surfing 2-4ft right reef in Indo - Surf was uncrowded so could really test the board out. I found it paddled very well, smooth on the drop and good speed down the line. Nice tight arcs on cutbacks. However, I kept getting hung up on reos, sometimes my feet would disconnect from the board and reconnect again. I've never really experienced this with any other board. Also, If I did manage a good forehand top turn, there was hardly any spray... Overall, board felt great, perhaps I need to shift my weight a bit differently to get those reos going.

5th day - Surfing 3-5ft right reef - Stoked into some bigger waves and was impressed with the paddle ability and smooth feeling from the rocker dropping in. Caught a few where I could really feel the speed of the board. Caught a little head high wave and drove up to the top for a reo. Got disconnected from the board again, landed sidways with my feet over the board and the board buckled completely beneath me. 2 creases right through the middle of the board, the largest of which went right through the rails.

Conclusion - Loved the board for forehand cutbacks and drops in bigger waves, though couldn't get the feeling of good forehand reos on it. Could be that I hadn't spent enough time getting to know the board. Sad to see that it creased so badly, but to be honest there were a lot of snapped boards at this reef during my 2 week trip, so I can't blame the board. I do wish that I'd bought an FST model now, but looking fwd to trying another Firewire in the future.

Love to hear from anybody who has had similar experiences.

just buckled my LFT sweet potato today too..poor quality..hopefully firewire listens to us and stops making the LFT and stick to the FST only

Comment

The surf industry is still predominantly making PU boards...snappings of biblical proportions haven't slowed down them one iota.
      I'd wager there haven't been too many lft sweet potatoes snapped.
      Go fst as you've both said for a stronger construction.

Comment

Another 5'7" LFT bites the dust. 3ft paddling back out, heavy lip got the nose of the board after I had duckdived. Board only 1 month old.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...08778526_n.jpg
        Last edited by nottyR6; 08-05-2014, 07:21 AM. Reason: Conditions were 3ft beachbreak, small onshore wind

Comment

that sucks bro..no one should be buying into this weak construction..please stop the production of LFT..definitely a step in the wrong direction

Comment

• Chris
            Chris commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey nalu, i would be curious where in HI you broke your board? what the conditions were like etc?

• nalu808
            nalu808 commented
            Editing a comment
            i was surfing in weak shoulder high conditions when it happened..it's weird cuz i take this board out in head high steep barreling conditions also..love the board..just not a fan of the new technology..like i said before..flex is not as important as your fins are most important

I don't think it should be stopped, but people should be aware that this is the high performance tech. Better flex and lighter. Just how other manufacturers have team light glassing and heavy glassing. Think of lft like team glass and fst like heavy glassing. There's always a trade off for lighter glassing and that's less durability.

Comment

I thought LFT would be similar strength to RF. I've given my Potatonator serious abuse (landing in wave troughs, failed airs etc) and it's been pretty solid. Close inspection of the LFT foam stringer (now it's snapped!) shows it's really light and flexible. I'd agree similar strength to a 4-6oz pu board. I'm a bit gutted I buckled my board on an average wave. Guess ill go for FST in the future... Expensive mistake...

Comment

Yeah, rf is pretty strong as you've got the parabolic carbon rod stringers in it. Still not indestructible by any means, but slightly more durable than a normal pu board. Plus if you creased or dinged it and the rods stayed in tact you could repair easily and it'd surf nearly the same.

Comment

Ah man it's a shame to see these LFT buckling and snapping already. I thought it was going to be an improvement over RF and partly brought out to combat a bunch of buckled RF vanguards. I was going to order a 5'4 vader but I think I'll see how LFT works out for a while longer.

Comment

• Chris
                Chris commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Phill you have to also respect the fact that there are a couple boards here, one of which was snapped on a board breaking reef and another in undisclosed conditions in HI, and ease of the sweeping statements. You can't completely bury a tech because boards were broker in conditions that could have broken a lot of boards. Additionally it is a little unfair, not to mention entirely incorrect, to state that Firewire introduced LFT because of RF buckles. When Daniel Thompson came on board he immediately wanted to work on flex of Firewire boards, and since he loved the performance of Rapidfire and his boards were initially release in that tech, he began to make his mark. Tomo has been a HUGE advocate for the incorporation of multi-density foams, has been building them for years and when we worked internally to modify the RF build it was about performance.

Don't get me wrong, we appreciate your input, but making statements that imply you know the truth about the decisions we made when you actually don't isn't fair to those using the forum.

I dont think LFT is an improvement over RF. Two stringers look stronger than the single LFT stringer to me. The stringer looks like denser foam material with carbon overlay. I bought LFT because like has been mentioned RF Vanguards were snapping. I can see these big nose boards having greater stress when the nose takes a hit. Presuming that LFT was the answer both in flex and durability I went for that but it will be FST in the future for me.

By the way it will probably be another Nano, user friendly board for me as an older intermediate, I liked everything about it. I was worried about paddling but if anything the 5'7" felt bigger than the quoted 30 odd litres.
              Last edited by nottyR6; 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                It's paint not carbon. I originally thought it was a black hd foam until I saw a cross section photo.
                I think the LFT stringer was intended to allow further stress before shearing than the carbon rods. Plus it runs from nose to tail and the rods didn't quite go all the way.
                I still think a layer of 4oz S glass would add a massive amount of life to the RF/LFT construction for a slight extra cost.

• nottyR6
                nottyR6 commented
                Editing a comment
                That makes sense and I agree about the extra layer of glass. I also dont mind if the reason they dont is because they want to keep it high performance but I'd like to be told. My understanding was LFT was stronger, slightly heavier and more durable. It seems the opposite applies, mine was very light.

• Chris
                Chris commented
                Editing a comment
                The stringer is indeed HD foam and its inclusion is rooted in the stiffening of the overall flex, thus improving rate of return and improving the overall quality of the ride.

Look here for more info: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/li...technology.php

the point is that firewire shouldn't be heading into the less durable more flexible direction..because most people that buy firewires want a long lasting durable board..or else they would just buy a cheaper pu board if that's the case..i think that fst has enough flex for most surfers..unless you're a pro..it really won't affect your performance too drastic..i think what's most important are your fins..that's what will make your board better or worse
              Last edited by nalu808; 08-04-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• aurfalien
                aurfalien commented
                Editing a comment
                Well I'm no pro and prefer RF over FST however FST works fine for me. I'm glad you posted as I would hate to have bought LFT just to see my board snap so easy. Still, it would be good to see others chime in on there LFT experience.

** RANT **
                And seriously those black stripes down the board are paint and nothing else??? Dude that's sooo lame!!! Plus FW keeps putting that lame coating that is supposed to make your board repel water which you know is toxic to the environment. Its funny they have a sticker on the bard that says something about being green minded.

Recall when ordering a board and getting it with all that gross shipping fromage and stickers, yea thats env minded.

If LibTech didn't have such lame shapes, I prolly would have bought one as that company is the real deal regarding being env aware and actually caring.

** RANT over **

• Chris
                Chris commented
                Editing a comment
                Smile and breathe right? Aurf do you think we would just paint a black line? Like a stripe on a race car? Phill is right below. The color of the HD foam is a grey color that doesn't pop all that much. The black paint over it is part a series of aesthetic choices we made, and its something that will come in different colors as well. We would never just put a stripe or a color down and call it a technological/performance improvement, that would be pretty bad. Since you don't know a lot about the tech and are whipped into a rant frenzy, go read this about LFT:

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/li...technology.php

Aurf, under the paint is the HD stringer. It's a browny colour I think and would look ugly on show so the black line neatens everything up. Not sure about toxicity of the nanotune stuff but I don't think there's many people out there that wouldn't buy a board because it didn't have it applied.

Comment

Ok Aurf so i get the chance to rant a little since you are taking shots at our commitment to improving the environment friendliness of our boards. Take a look at the below:

Ecoboards: Firewire sells HANDS DOWN, more ecoboards than any surfboard builder on the planet. They make up a huge percentage of our business and took an impressive investment in R&D, material development, operational development to be able to bring them to the market. Though I can't quantify for you the exact reduction in carbon footprint, i would say you should brush up on the ECOBOARD program, see what it takes to earn the label and then think about what this means on an global scale. The difference is massive. http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...f-ecoboard.php

TimberTEK: Built using sustainably harvested Paulownia wood and bio resins. http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/timbertek.php

BAST: Firewire also has collaborated with BAST and now incorporates their recycled cardboard modular packing system for a majority if boards shipped. This system spaces boards out so you don't need the bubble wrap, just a thin film of a corn-based, biodegradable plastic to protect the surface of the boards. http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/BA...-packaging.php

SUPER SAP: Going forward (and already implemented), all our surfboards, yes ALL OF THE BOARDS FIREWIRE MAKES will use Super Sap Bio Resin. This takes a big chunk of the caustic materials out of the epoxy mixture and replaces it with plant-derived compounds. Once again, a massive massive number of boards that are now greener to produce.

Making environmentally aware decisions such as these increases cost of production, requires massive amounts of research and development and demands changes to the production process. Not to mention it takes a creative vision to find the companies to help make these changes possible. Aurf I have to say,there is no angle you can take that would support your claim that we don't care about reducing our impact on the planet. Our company is run by people who have a connection with the ocean and our natural environment while recognizing its fragility. Firewire is committed to making a difference.

Comment

• aurfalien
                  aurfalien commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fair play and thanks for the post, one can never have too much knowledge. Oh and I am smiling and breathing now, good advice.

I honestly didn't know about the Super Sap nor the BAST, very cool tech indeed.

Again, thanks for the reply.

• lucky73
                  lucky73 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info Chris, along the same lines, any chance the Nano will come out in TimberTEK in the future? I was interested to see the VG in TimberTEK in this article on the Tomo/Free Radicals site:
                  http://www.free-radicals.tv/wp-conte...vguardpage.jpg
                  Apologies if the question has already been aired in other threads

• Chris
                  Chris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Lucky,

any board we launch has the possibility of coming out in TimberTEK, but i don't have any immediate info regarding the Nano...

Yeah fair play Chris, apologies for that coming across as a sweeping statement. It wasn't intended as such.

Comment

Chris, I am a Firewire fan and have multiple purchases to prove it. I take onboard your comments about the LFT technology but at the end of the day I dont think LFT is strong enough. These fat nosed boards can take a lot of force through the middle. A high density foam stringer might help flex but it isnt going to help strength much. I have edited my post above to show I snapped it in a 3ft beach break, the lip hit it when I duckdived. A traditional board would have only had a tiny nose poking out in front. With the Nano (and maybe the Vanguard at a guess) with those big fat noses there is a lot of catch area for a big lip looking for trouble.

I'm in to the eco stuff by the way, its important to me when I make a buying decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X