X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS II fins for nano

I am getting a 5'10 lft nano, 195lbs and surf beach break in Oceanside - I had received a recommendation from someone well informed to get the John John fins from future for that board but the board available ended up being fcs II and I haven't seem him around recently to follow up; the reactors seem the closest. Then I was thinking carbon, PC, or glass flex? Simply don't know the difference; its something that really isn't explained on the fcs site and there isn't too much concrete info on the web to read that is realiable. like the glass flex option becuase of price; would be more inclined to purchase the performer and carver as well.

Could use some forum love to sort out the fin type and material for the nano.

-G

The FCSII glass flex material is a waste of time. It's so flimsy it's a joke. The difference between the carbon and PC in minimal. Without screwing the fins in you don't get the benefit of the stiffer base because there's a little movement within the plugs/on the sprung roller that clips them in. I like the Accelerator template personally. Good all round template. The reactors are more like the K 2.1.

Comment

Thats interesting; would explain the price of the glass flex opposed to the others and its good to know that the difference in carbon and PC are minimal - appreciate that Phil - good stuff. Oceanside has alot of faces; sometimes hollow, sometimes high tide and fat - but usually a relatively quick wave where your off to the races to get as many turns in as possible before it shuts down, always has a good lip to hit - What size and type of wave do you surf the accelator on in the UK? Anyone have experience using the performer/ accelerator/ carver/ reactor in beach break on the nano? I really like how quick and easy it is to pop fins in and out of boards in this system - love progress.

Thanks,

-G

-G

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Performer are very close to the M3, M5, M7 templates with the inside foil on the side fins but maybe slight variations in size. Nice all round fin but I have never been a huge fan.
        Accelerators are the Soar DM, DL and DXL templates. The DL is my favourite fin for all conditions. Flat inside edge, quite a thin foil, plenty of base and a nice medium tip without too much rake. I'd put them in any performance board in any conditions and wouldn't sweat it.
        Reactors are close to the K2.1 set but I don't think the rear is as small but is more upright like the front fins. Probably a good snappy set for pockety stuff but I wouldn't look at them as an everyday set.
        Carvers have a lot of rake and tip, close to the AM template. Good for drawn out turns in big open faced stuff like Bell's where you want to hold a rail and drive right through the turn.
        I know they've added a bunch more templates now. The FW template looks good!
        Out of the 'essential series' the performer or accelerators are your all rounders. Performers probably getting the nod in softer waves and accelerators in better waves.

That is some serious forum love right here; had to put the dims for each in different windows so I could view them at the same time I was reading your post. Interesting that the performer has similar dims and sweep to the accelerator (almost exact), but the accelerator has more area that you can't pick up by looking at the dims listed which probably works better for my size at 195; glad you like those - I'll check em out.

Thanks for the input!

-G

Comment

Have had about 10-15 surfs on my 5'8 nano now, I'm 85kgs and have been using the large performers since day 1. From 1 foot slop to 4-5 foot low tide ledges to 6-8 foot semi full open face kind of stuff and haven't found a need to change them yet. They hold well, plenty of acceleration/speed and pivot really well. Funny enough I also used the same fins in my 5'6 vanguard for a few months, still had plenty of speed and hold but didn't turn too well at all, something about the nano though it all just comes together. I'm hard pressed thinking of a situation where I'd swap these fins out rather than actually taking out a different board. Maybe perfect 3-4 foot waves I'd swap them out for a slightly smaller template to try and get rid of some speed...

Comment

I was looking at the reactor and it indicates it is for performance short boards with low to moderate rocker - that sure sounds like the nano. The performer has same dims as accelerator with less area ....... probably awesome to have.

lol, maybe I just need to pony up for all 3 in large for max fun - accelerator, performance, and reactor to really enjoy what the fcs II offers; sounds like it would be fun to have all.

Comment

i wouldn't say the reactors are like the k2.1's
            k2.'1s have a lot more area on the front fin, and a small rear trailer that is the pc3

the reactors are more like the front fins of the JW set, with a smaller wispier tip

Large reactors are the FCS 2 set recommended on the sticker for the Nano.
            I am 72KG and tried the medium set for my 5'4 nano, sticker says I should go small and it felt a little stiff in the small stuff.
            Because I have the largest size nano for the small set, I went in between and use the Jw-1's and ordered a set of Accellerator smalls instead (because they are closer to medium sized fins than the performer or reactor)

Comment

Oh also, saw a vid of Tomo riding the nano using the Firewire fins. Might be worth checking out if that's what the man himself is using...

Comment

Yeah I saw those but they only come in medium.

Comment

The trick with fins, is get good material and nothing to crazy in terms of template. Stick with fibre glass type, that resemble and give feedback like the orginal glass in fins. Plastics are crap. Bad flex. Too much carbon makes it to stiff. Almericks AM are good all round fins in FCS format.

Comment

Jumped out on the nano yesterday in head high, high tide beach break, and really enjoyed the session - I ended up buying reactor and performer larges. I had the performers in yesterday and they felt great; surf should be a little bigger today and more punchy so I'll run the reactors.

I'll update a little more after I surf the nano a little more, but on first surf it was loose, fast, fun to ride, and easy to paddle; using the fcs II system was a synch; see ya futures.

-G

Comment

You can also buy a compatibility kit, with stops and grub screw for the FCS II plugs so you can use your original FCS fins.

Agree the plastic sucks for all but very light / small surfers. I find the carbon base quite effective in keeping the base of the fin stiff but still allowing flex at the tip, so good drive coupled with good release though probably not a great deal of difference to the PC.

I have purchased a set of large performers with medium reactor quad rears - most resembles my R2 quad set.
                      Last edited by Slowman; 09-05-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Surfed on the reactors and performers in overhead surf the past week in Oceanside and at DMJs. Both worked great, I surfed the performers in the smaller overhead range and the reactors when it was a little bigger; I couldn't tell the difference, they both felt good.

I am guessing they felt similar because of the size range I used them in - performers in slightly overhead surf, less punchy, in Oceanside and the reactors in bigger overhead to double overhead surf, punchy, at DMJs.

Love the fin system and board - a great combo; the board is slightly under my volume at 35L, I am usually 37-39 but I don't have any issues paddling or catching waves - the board holds well, surfs fast, and is very responsive; also does real well off of big hits in critical sections where I though it would pearl real easy; it didn't - great board; thanks guys.

By the way; I don't see this said much but I really love that volume is listed nowadays - I don't know if firewire started this or someone else but its awesome. I used to throw money away on boards over the years trying to figure out what size I should ride and guessing wrong and waiting until I saved money to try again which was in no way ideal; now I choose the right board the majority of the time! Love that.

Comment

I found with the vanguard you surf so much off the rail line the fins had a much smaller effect than on other boards. I've tried quite a few different sets and they all feel fairly similar. I'd imagine the nano is similar in that respect.

Comment

yeah good point Phill. You get more "play" by going quad thruster vs subtle tweaks to your go to template...

Comment

Working...
                            X