X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell size should I get

I think the potatonater is the board for me. I'm not sure what size though. I'm 205 and 6ft tall I'm 30 but in good shape. I currently ride a 7'4 egg fun shape but I'm not to worried about transitioning to a shorter board. I wanna get better and get used to a smaller board. This will probably be it for my quiver do to budget restrictions. Any advice on what size to get? I'm thinking 6'2"

That seems pretty good to me. Have you checked to see where the volume calculator puts you?

Comment

I am 210 lbs, 6 foot 3 and much older than you and find the 6.2 is absolutely perfect. I have never had a better board for paddling, wave catching and duck diving. The board feels like an extension of my body. Definitely the perfect board for smaller waves. My Sweet Potato is not getting any use any more.

Comment

What Size

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        I am 210 lbs, 6 foot 3 and much older than you and find the 6.2 is absolutely perfect. I have never had a better board for paddling, wave catching and duck diving. The board feels like an extension of my body. Definitely the perfect board for smaller waves. My Sweet Potato is not getting any use any more.
        I am 41, 6 foot and about 205. I just bought a 5'10" Potatonator FST. I am in pretty good shape and surf regularly in Sydney. After 2 rides I am thinking I could have gone the 5'8". The board has so much volume.

Comment

I'd go on feel if you can hold both in the shop.
          I think you could surf the 502 fine at your weight though, but to keep the volume more inline with your Spitfire then dropping 2" is the recommended sizing.

Comment

Well having less volume than your Spitfire won't give it a huge advantage if any in small stuff. How does your spitfire handle small days?

Comment

Yeah Delam 5'2" Potatonator seems to be right up our alley!!
              Last edited by iggy; 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I'd agree 6'2". No smaller than 6'0". Sure some folk surf less volume at that weight but I think they're the minority. As an eg, bear in mind Nev is 20kg less than core and he surfs the same volumes as core!

Comment

Hi, 5.6 or 5.8?? I am 175 cm 71 kg, well fit but intermediate. I have Hellfire 5.10 and previously owned a 5.4 SP (too much foam for me, sold it). Only surf windgenerated swells 0.5m to 2m face. Use at least 5 mm suit. 5.6 PN is quite close in measurements to My 5.10 HF. Will the 5.6 PN get me going earlier in smaller surf or DO I need to Look at the 5.8 PN. I almost feel fine with the 5.10 HF as the One and Only board. Yes 5.2 SP could be the one but i want something more similar to the HF . Anyone?

Comment

I'd go 5'6". The wider nose and flatter rocker will improve its paddling and wave catching in the small stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      I'd go 5'6". The wider nose and flatter rocker will improve its paddling and wave catching in the small stuff.
                      Thank you prjwebb. I am pretty sure I will find the 5.8 too big but at the same time the 5.6 feels so close to my 5.10 HF. If the 5.10 HF would have been a 5.8 HF the need for a 5.6 PN would have been obvious. I started out buying too big boards and must learn from that mistake, if there will be a new purchase the choice will be a 5.6 PN!

Comment

oceanminded i say totally go with the potatonator. you are light enough that you are going to be able to make that board absolutely fly!!! 504 might be perfect, but you could also likely get away with the evolve of the 502...

Comment

I have been riding a 5'6 Spitfire (too big for my weight, I know) for the past year and now that my skills have improved I am ready to get the proper volume. Looks like I have the Spitfire sold, I purchased a 5'6 Hellfire and I am contemplating a 2nd board.

Wouldn't you know it as soon as I get the new board the surf disappears so I have been surfing the Hellfire in some pretty small and gutless waves. It definitely doesn't get into waves quite as easily as my Spitfire did although surprisingly it still catches plenty of waves. I want something that can catch the knee to waist/chest high waves easier and waves that don't have much power, a board that goes fast and is manueverable. Leaning towards a 5'2 Potatonator, 5'5 Activator or a 5'4 Spitfire. Overall I loved the Spitfire and I am sure it would have been a different experience had I got the right size to begin with but now that I am getting a new board I am considering all of my options for the best quiver.

Do I get a 2nd board for the smaller, gutless stuff or do I keep getting stronger and more comfortable on the Hellfire for a one-board quiver?

I'd appreciate thoughts on sizing and board. Just don't want too much overlap in my boards.
                          OceanMinded, can you shed some light on the differences between your 5'6 Spitfire and your 5'2 Potatonator.

Thanks for the help.
                          Last edited by delmarsurfer; 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah agreed with PRJ here

Comment

Working...
                            X