X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator sizing advice?

Sorry to post another thread about sizing help and sounding like a broken record! I have just ridden my first firewire alternator 6'0 whilst on a surftrip in costa rica and i am ON bOARD with the firewire revolution. I'm 5'11 (6ft on a good day) and 75kgs (165 pounds) and currently riding a 6'1 JS and a original 5'6 Peter Sheely Twin back home but i am looking into a double purchase to renew my quiver. I was looking at the 6'0 Alternator just cos the one i rode was perfect and handled my height and weight, as well as a pumping swell here that peaked at 8-10ft! My problem is I'm not sure on how small to go with the potatonator...? i was thinking anything under 5'6?? i would guess my level is low-mid advanced. I'm happy to go smaller of it will still handle my weight and fly?

The other option i was thinking was the baked potato- im just looking for a small wave groveller?

Comment

I'd say 506 would be plenty on the PN. Could maybe go 504 but 506 would eat up the tiny days a little easier.
      503 on the Baked P.

Comment

Thanx! I'll prob end up going for the smaller Baked Potato just because it will be a board for 'pure stoke'! haha 5'3.
        Theoretically if i was looking at the SP would i look for similar dimensions? Also are their Firewire recommended fins/ what has anyone been riding and loving?

Comment

5'2" on the Sweet.

In the Potatoes people are loving the Futures Controller quad set. I'm running the Controller rear fins with K2.1 front fins currently and that feels good. The Stretch quad set work well too. Stretch actually just released his own take on the Controller set available in both FCS and Futures. I reckon they could be magic.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
            5'2" on the Sweet.

In the Potatoes people are loving the Futures Controller quad set. I'm running the Controller rear fins with K2.1 front fins currently and that feels good. The Stretch quad set work well too. Stretch actually just released his own take on the Controller set available in both FCS and Futures. I reckon they could be magic.
            Really? Where did you seen that PRJ?

Comment

On the surfermag forum.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/photo-31.jpg

Comment

Sweet ! I just bought a set of "Lost" Controllers..just the standard Controllers with the Lost logo on them..in stunning Big Bird Yellow lol. Stretch's fins all have that little tip on the rear of the tip of the fin..does anyone know what that is for? I love Stretch..had the pleasure to talk to him on the phone once..but his fins dont work for me. Plenty rave about them though.

Comment

it is a release point for water to exit off the fin tip apparently.

Comment

Hmmm does water need a point to release off of a fin? I just dont buy that to be honest.

Comment

I guess it focuses the release to that point of the tip, i dunno. Fin design is beyond me!

Comment

It actually does, it has to do with cavitation

Comment

Just playing devils advocate but...if it is necessary then why do all of the other fins out there...all of which dont have that point..not cavitate? I just think sometimes there are features like this added which may ultimately be neutral but dont actually do anything. I know Stretch takes the technical side of things very very seriously..he is a genius in my book but I think sometimes the theory doesnt translate into function...

Comment

Did my thesis many many years ago on Cavitation in centrifugal pumps. Foil geometry plays a crucial role on this phenomena.You will feel it more during turns than anything else where the fluid changes direction. You'll be surprised how much the efficiency of a pump varies by applying subtle changes.
                            Would it be noticeable for the mortal people like us?? maybe not, but it occurs. Is it aesthetic or functional? who knows.

Comment

Working...
                            X