X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonato vs. Dominator

I'm 13 years old, 5'8" and 150 lbs and and have been surfing for about 3 years now. I just really started last year to go down the line and do turns and cutbacks. I surf about every 2 weeks in the summer and once a month in the winter. I need a board that can handle knee high to head high waves. I currently ride either my 6'0 shortboard or my dad's 6'6" fish. I am looking at either a 5'8" potatonator or a 5'10" dominator. I want something with a little more maneuverability than the fish but a little easier to ride in smaller waves than the shortboard.

I would think 5' 8" PN would be too much float and a 5' 6" may be more suited or a 5' 8' Dom. Hows your fitness and paddling and what sort of waves do you mostly ride. This info will help. There are plenty of more knowledgable guys on here than me, just my humble opinion.

Comment

Yeah I'd be looking at the next sizes down at least!
      If your waves aren't too punchy the Potatonator would cover that range but if it gets steep and punchy when it's bigger something like a 5'8" or 5'6" Spitfire is a better choice.

Comment

At 13 yoa I'd suggest something more shortboardy. If not a grom flex then a small Alternator or Mini Driver or Hellfire. Forget the Dom. At 13 you don't need the assistance.

Comment

I don't think they make a grom flex for someone nearly 70kgs!

I think for what he's describing someone like the 5'4PN or 5'6 Dom/Spit would be good choice. I agree though that it's probably not going to be the most beneficial board for developing his surfing at 13. The more you push yourself at that age the quicker you'll develop and improve. You'll also adapt easily at that age and soak it up like a sponge.

I'd consider the 5'10 Alternator and the 5'8" Hellfire or 511 HellRazor. The 5'8" Sub Scorcher could be a good pick too and maybe the 5'10 Mini Driver.

Comment

If he is only surfing a handful of times a year then he's going to need assistance - go for the 5'6 or 5'8 potatornator

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
              If he is only surfing a handful of times a year then he's going to need assistance - go for the 5'6 or 5'8 potatornator
              No get the potatonator/dominator/spitfire for his dad and then he'll be surfing a lot more often and he can get a more performance oriented board!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                No get the potatonator/dominator/spitfire for his dad and then he'll be surfing a lot more often and he can get a more performance oriented board!
                Haha genius

Comment

Thanks everybody. I am in good shape and I swim competitively if that helps at all. I plan to try to surf more often in the future. I think ive got the lengths now but im still not sure if i should go with the dominator or poatatonator. I usally at wrightsville beach knee to chest high, but occasionally i go to obx and want be able to handle those waves as well

Comment

70 kg's pretty heavy for 13!

Go for it but yeah, I think go the performance board now. A smaller Alt would be ideal. 5'10" at 70kg would be ample.

Comment

Good sprinters are usually tall and with some weights 70kg is easy, my nephew at 15 was 6'2 and 85kg - years of butterfly. That is sort big for 13 but swimming programmes select these types.

Comment

I'm leaning more toward a 5'8" dominator now. Would I notice drawbacks more more in bigger waves with a 5'6" potatonator, or in small waves with a 5'8" dominator?

Comment

Bit of both really, Short is usually responsive but too short will limit the size of the waves you want to be surfing it in, for a youngester I'd be recommend the dom / spit

Comment

I just bought a 5'8" dominator and love it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Nice! Great choice

Comment

Working...
                              X