X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower end of potatnator

looking to sell my dominator and possibly pick up a potatonator..

have a spud already but around here even when small its not that mushy at the beachbreaks. i feel like the spud is a lil limited at times even in the small stuff

so looking for that 1-3 foot weak but not so mushy type of beach break board.. anything 3ft and above i'm on my razor

how does the potatonator handle these conditions?

So far I'd say it hasndles it ok but weak 1-2ft I would say I'd use my BP

Comment

i shouldve said 2-3 if its one ft i'm staying home most of the time or have my sweet potato

Comment

There is so much any board can handle. I'd say the sweet potato will manage lower ends better than the potatonator. On the other hand, if the waves are kind of punchy,even though small, I will totally justify the pnator. I find the pnator working beter on 2ft+ but all depends on the conditions: 1ft mush will not be the same as a 1ft punchy wave

Comment

I have the potatonator in a 5'10 and the spitfire in a 6'0 and Ive been debating with myself do I sell the spitfire, I surfed on saturday at a contest the conditions where head height mushy waves - it was the potatonator every time. It means really the only time Id take the spitfire out is, between head high and well over head - then switch to the alternator. I think the spitfire will have to go but Im very reluctant as its a great allround board. Small surf on the potatonator is ok, its no sweet potato buts it handles small surf better that the dom / spit.

Comment

I had the PN out in punchy beach breaks today that were head high..that is the limit of the board in my view..mine is a couple of litres oversized but still I dont think that boards tail is suited to waves bigger than that.

Comment

yeah i'm not worried about anything over stomach for the potatonator that y i was wondering about the lower end.. wouldn't think of taking out anything but my razor bc its so good

Comment

I think the PN surfs waist to stomach waves better than the dom, especially in weaker, softer conditions. I have the 6'2 dom and 6'0 PN. The PN also surfs Good thigh high waves with a nice wall and a section or two well . If I had to give up one board out of my quiver (SP, PN, DOM,HF) I have to admit I'd get rid of the dom only because the pnator has a better wave range for my age and ability. I won't get rid of it though because it does handle shoulder to head high waves so well. But put a gun to my head and the dom goes away. I've ripped thigh high waves on the pn much more effectively than the dom and I've surfed shoulder to head high waves on the pn without a problem. I'm competant enough on my HF that now when waves are shoulder + the HF is the call. The DOM like my fish is now a secondary board. Even the SP is being taken out by the PN in anything waist high and above. I think it's all about getting the right size pnator. I'm struggling with that issue Right now. I have to decide if dropping from 40L to 36.7 L will reduce my ability to tackle those weak waist high waves that the 6'0 PN has been surfing well. On the other hand the 5'10 will perform better in the better waves I have to admit, the more I surf the 6'O PN the better it goes, especially in clean conditions. Every session in clean waves has rocked. Onshore, crap has been more difficult. Still have pulled off some great rides but have looked like a kook on a few waves also.

Comment

yeah not interested in the potatonator for bigger waves.. just trying to square up my lower end board.. have the spud but the slighty more rockered potatonator i was thinking might handle low tide beach breaks better..(i don't really bother if its high tide small surf)

Comment

PN perfect for that the extra rocker helps with the late drops

Comment

Lots of overlap with the PN and BP. I would take the BP every time over the SP...but for me going up one size with the PN covers all the ground I need between 2-4 foot. Under 2 foot I have other things to do.

Comment

PN actually performs quite well on the low end of things. Ride it in under waist high (1-2') waves all the time here in Florida and still have a great time. It's taken the place of my SP.

Comment

Originally posted by tre View Post
                          PN actually performs quite well on the low end of things. Ride it in under waist high (1-2') waves all the time here in Florida and still have a great time. It's taken the place of my SP.
                          Got to agree with Tre here...I had the PN at 2-4 but today got some super fun clean ones in the knee to waist high range...really enjoying that board with the Elevons...its going to Bali with me next week..wet season usually means small waves but the PN should extract the most fun out of them possible.

Comment

Just sold my baked potato because my potatonator can get the job done....and done well.

Comment

nice cuttle... tre so weak east coast windswell does well? my spud just seems so fat sometimes on days when its weak but also kinda hollow.. at a beach i frequent u get lil mini barrels on a waist high day. . never crumbly which the spud goes great in

Comment

Working...
                              X