Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would rule out the spitfire as you have bigger wave range covered.

Consider the sweet potato in a 6'0 if you want ease of catching waves and mega volume.

I have a potatonator in a 5'10 and weigh similar to you and its great in smaller surf but not in the same league as a sweet potato - BUT when you weigh what we do (all other things being equal) a surfer who is 70Kg will be able to surf small waves with more ease than you.

So either get a 6'0 SP or a 6'4 Potatonator and you will rock (even though everyone will say these are too big)

Comment

Yeah thanks man - I think the 6'4 would be bang on the money too. I want simple, easy to paddle, relaxed surfing from it - like you say, I have the bigger wave range covered. Hoping to pick one up on Sunday!

Now its a Rapidfire vs FST argument in my head but I think I am going to go for Rapidfire...

Thanks again everyone for your feedback - feeling very confident about this purchase. Hope it lives up to its hype!

Comment

Ive been a huge fan of FST over the years - BUT in the RF is most definitely lighter and therefore for smaller surf I will always pick RF over FST as you want the most performance possible in this wave range - Chris has said something along the same lines so I cant to too far off the mark.

Comment

Yeah my small wave boards will all be white rapidfire from now on, or enviroflex/crossfire perhaps...
          My FST sweet potato is solid and has survived drops onto brick paving without even cracking the glass but it does weigh 3.1kg/6.8lbs and can feel a little heavy in tiny waves.

Comment

RF i think have quicker responsive which i like alot but FST is stronger.The choise is up to you. Both techs are brilliant....

Comment

Love FST, had a RF Spit and sweet potato and got the exact new ones on FST. Durability, weight and the particular organic flex is what I find uniqu on them!

Comment

Bugger - Can't get a Potatonator anywhere in the sizes I am after until well after November apparently - not stock anywhere. Should I go for a 6'6 Spit instead?

Comment

Id wait if I were you, the potatonator is a revelation - as the owner of a long term owner of a dom / spitfire

Comment

im amazingly impatient once ive made a decision... see how I go - will go have a poke around my local surf shops tomorrow and see what comes of it - every shop i called said no stock and no deliveries for at least a month. I sold my only small wave board already, so I need to find something sooner rather than later (cause small waves is all we seem to be getting).

I should have planned it a little better I think!

Comment

Have found somewhere I can get a 6'2 in FST - I might have a closer look at that. I am concerned about how they will react to heat (I tend to leave my boards in my car a lot - in a padded travel bags - as I go from a surf straight to work)... I hate having so many choices!

Comment

Its done! My first Firewire - 602 FST Potatonator! Bought from the good folks at Cronulla Surf Design - Sam's a champ and helped me make the final decision. Cant wait to get it wet tomorrow!

Wife walked in whilst paying though.... apparently she's going to be needing some shoes or something now....

Comment

Originally posted by anfernee View Post
                          Wife walked in whilst paying though.... apparently she's going to be needing some shoes or something now....
                          :) Good luck, I've just got my 5'8" PN, 2ft and offshore tomorrow, we'll compare notes...

Comment

Ok. First surf was "okay" I think this board will take a few sessions to get the hang of it.

So far - Pros
                            paddles well - easy to pickup waves though admittedly not as easy as I was expecting. It is very floaty and feels a little unstable whilst I get used to the more buoyant board.

first few waves it was fast and responsive - didn't need much encouragement to get moving

it's so light I'm scared ill break it compared to my other boards - I usually get a little extra glass cause I liked the weight - but I think I could get used to these super light boards.

Cons
                            If you are not absolutely perfectly positioned on the board it's almost unresponsive - on one occasion today I was almost horizontal I was leaning so hard into a turn and the board just wanted to sit in it's groove - might require better back foot placement and probably keep most of my weight toward the back (I tend to surf more front foot).

the buoyancy although a good thing when picking up waves - not fantastic when duck diving - had to dive harder and deeper to get through the set waves than I normally do.

I looked like a bigger kook than I normally do on a few waves - must redeem myself now.

Overall it seems like it will live up to the hype - just need a few sessions to get the hang of the different style of board.

Comment

I think with some more water time you will get the hang of it - stick with it

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
                                Id wait if I were you, the potatonator is a revelation - as the owner of a long term owner of a dom / spitfire
                                On the same page here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X