Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itching to get this thing back in the water - have had some time to reflect on where I went wrong Sunday arvo (never blame your tools!!!) and looking forward to having another crack at this puppy.

Comment

that's the attitude!!!

Comment

I've had mIne out consistently this month in good waist to shoulder waves and it's getting better and better. I really love this board and am finally surfing

Comment

I've had mIne out consistently this month in good waist to shoulder waves and it's getting better and better. I really love this board and am finally surfing it well. No way would I get rid of it. Def downsizing to a 510 from a 6. Im going to want more responsiveness eventually. Def have a good handle on it. Terrific board from thigh high to shoulder high wave.

Comment

We've had the worse run of swell lately... can't wait for it to tidy up a little and get some size to it. Currently a sloppy foot and thats it.

Comment

OK, have had 3 surfs on this board and after today's I can say "I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!!" - I still need to dial it in some more, but overall I am so much happier than I was on the first surf. Its very forgiving too - on a few ugly ones today it performed way better than I expected. Paddled into everything I wanted, handled late drops and had a smile on my face that went from ear to ear.

More than stoked with this one. Its exactly what people are saying and it easily replaces a few of my boards (I dare say most of my boards are going to get dusty over summer!). I'll probably drop down to a 6.0 though eventually as its probably too big.

Thanks everyone for your help too.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Im 6,1 and 94 kgs and 31 years young and Ive always been a fan of the dominator and spitfire family. I had the pleasure of owning a 6,2 dominator (38 lit), and this board helped me in getting more waves than ever and later on I changed into the 6,0 Spitfire (34 lit) for less buoyancy and more performance wise. I had it for 3 years and then move on.

Yesterday at my local break in Panama, it was crowded and my little ajw xstump 6,1 wasnt making the cut again 2 foot surf and just couldnt catch enough waves like i used to. Catch a few but not enough.... I was in the water thinkin if I only had my dom or spit i wouldnt been having this situation.

Ive been readin a lot about the PN and Im in between the 5,10 or 6,0 range... I consider myself intermediate and in excellent shape to paddle hard with enough buoyancy but I dont need the overfloat...... Im currently at 34 liters range but might want to jump into this board in the 36 or 37 lit range and the 5,10 fits right in...... the 6,0 mayb could overfloatme and make me lazy paddler with my other boards for bigger days.... Any inputs I appreciated?

Does this board handles well the thruster option as the Spitfire?? I like goin thruster on my backhand...

Comment

You're a length down from my preference and carrying an extra 3-4 kgs on me. Mind you, you're also 16 years younger, and I definitely surfed board with less volume when I was younger (with a preference for more than most though).

My thought is this; you will become a little lazier paddling a more foamed up board, but you'll adjust within 5 minutes when you cross back over to a slightly lesser volumed board.

Another option would be to get a Spitfire at 6'2" rather than 6'0". The volume would be fine at your weight for a small wave board. Indeed, I reckon at your weight it would be fine full stop. Anyway, a Spit would be a higher performing board by all accounts in small to medium surf than a Potatonator. I get the impression you're a strong energetic surfer and if so you shouldn't have any difficulty getting a Spit moving in the smallest surf, if volumed correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by anfernee View Post
                    Its done! My first Firewire - 602 FST Potatonator! Bought from the good folks at Cronulla Surf Design - Sam's a champ and helped me make the final decision. Cant wait to get it wet tomorrow!

Wife walked in whilst paying though.... apparently she's going to be needing some shoes or something now....
                    Yep Sam is a champ...you didn't happen to see my Vanguard anywhere around?? LOL I don't take my wife to any place I make purchases for that reason but the good thing about FW's - they're all the same colour!!

Anfernee, we aren't far from each other by the sound of things. Glad to hear you are getting to know your PN and things are going well. Are you riding this as a quad?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                      Yep Sam is a champ...you didn't happen to see my Vanguard anywhere around?? LOL I don't take my wife to any place I make purchases for that reason but the good thing about FW's - they're all the same colour!!

Anfernee, we aren't far from each other by the sound of things. Glad to hear you are getting to know your PN and things are going well. Are you riding this as a quad?
                      I agree with that I even put the same tail pad on my boards so their all the same colour

Comment

Thanks Buzzy for your prompt answer...

Ive been keen in not getting a longboard for the softer days, and preferring a smaller board for the weaker soft waves. The Potatonator was in mind for this, because of its volume particularly and yet it look you can turn on that thing on smaller waves better than the SP and the BP.

I remember having the dominator 6,2 and I didnt stop getting waves at the break. It was reallly easy paddling and got in early against the crowd. But the thing is that made me lazy paddler for my other boards when I wanted to switch boards.

Never gone below 6,0 and it is quite interesting how the PN would feel... Since I would only use it for the lay days. It all comes down if can get my hands on a Dom/Spit 6,2 or the PN 5,10...

Is the Potatonator works good on as a thruster?? is it single concave or double?

Comment

It is a double concave - like the potatoes but softer I believe.

Comment

My new Potatonator 5,10 its on its way to Panama... The people at Catalyst Orlando were kind of to drop it in my hotel and they throw in the Mayhem FCS fins for it... Hopefully I will try it on next Saturday for the incoming swell.....stoke for it, im looking forward in getting as much waves as I did with my previous Spitfire...

Attachment
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by el02 View Post
                              My new Potatonator 5,10 its on its way to Panama... The people at Catalyst Orlando were kind of to drop it in my hotel and they throw in the Mayhem FCS fins for it... Hopefully I will try it on next Saturday for the incoming swell.....stoke for it, im looking forward in getting as much waves as I did with my previous Spitfire...

Attachment
                              Nice people!!!! Enjoy it!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking board! I am curious how the the Mayhem GMB 5 fins work on the Potatonator so give us an update after your ride it.

Iggy, are you still loving your potatonator? I am about to order a 5.6 Potatonator to cover the lower end. I have a hellrazor for 3-4+ surf so I am not worried so much about the higher end of groverlers (spitfire, dominator, etc...) but want something that I can surf like a shortboard in 2-4ft surf. I am an intermediate surfer...hopefully the potatonator will get me in the water more and bring me closer to an advanced surfer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X